Home Buying in Orlando>Question Details

Andrew, Home Buyer in Ocala, FL

I am looking to relocate to the orlando, FL area with my wife and 4 yr old. Possibly Avalon Park?

Asked by Andrew, Ocala, FL Thu Sep 1, 2011

My wife, 4 yr old son and I are looking to relocate to Orlando, FL. We've checked out the Avalon Park's website online and it looks like what we are looking for. We want an area with a nice downtown where we can walk to shops and restaurants and we also need a safe neighborhood with decent schools. How is the Avalon Park area? In particular we want to make sure it is not full of renters/forclosures or run down before we bother taking a drive there. Is it a good neighborhood or should we be looking elsewhere? Our budget is around 150-200,000 and we are open to the idea of townhouse/condo living. Thanks!

Answers

29
Goodness don't any of us have any appointments today. 17 answers in a few minutes. As John has already noted, looks like some of the responders didn't even bother to read all the question before hitting send.

Andrew, Avalon Park is a nice neighborhood and you will probably find that small downtown atmosphere you are after. With respect to your comments about renters and foreclosures, it's time for a reality check. Avalon Park is a newer neighborhood that got started in the middle of the last decade. That means of course it has had lots of foreclosures and that many properties are now occupied by renters. Just checked and there are 20 properties on the market in Avalon Park and only 4 are normal sales. With your budget you are unlikely to find anything that is not bank owned or a short sale. (Actually there is only 1 below $250,000 that is not bank owned or a short sale.) Since the real estate mess started (let's use 1/1/2008), 646 properites have changed hand in Avalon Park and over 400 were distressed sales.

Does all that mean Avalon Park is run down or a bad place? No, just that it's normal. You will never know if you don't bother to drive down and look.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 1, 2011
Hello Andrew;

I hope you find the home of your dreams. Choosing the right home, real estate agent and mortgage can be a difficult thing to do. This is especially true if you are new to the area.

In Florida there are some good deals on new and pre-exisiting homes. I have always found the internet can save a great deal of your time when looking for a home and applying for a mortgage. Let your mouse click away and then go look and see!

Wishing You The Best,

Jeff
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 2, 2011
Find a nice small down to earth town in the surrounding area and be open to a small commute and you can find great schools, decent size homes and yards and great prices. Keep it mind!
I know a Great Real Estate Agent In Orlando; if you are interested please let me know.

David Labrecque
803.553.3740
dlabrecque@cbunited.com
http://www.davidtheagent.com
Hey Andrew, don't know if you're located a home yet, but this is a cool site many of my buyers seem to enjoy looking through when they want basics on an area they are completely unfamiliar with it's http://www.mapszipcode.com/ (i have ZERO affiliation to this site, just know about it).

If you have not contacted any of the GREAT real estate agents below, make sure to contact one of us as we can provide you more details information on any listings you may have found that interest you.

Best of Luck,
Carlos V. Herrera
Web Reference: http://buyinorlando.com
Andrew, Avalon is a great place to live. it is a small downtown wanna be, traffic is super bad in rush hour there is just 2 ways to get there coming from alafaya or colonial, there is a lot of renters but most most of them are very family oriented and house are kept in good shape. The community association are very strict thats reason number one why it does not looks like a rundown place. Sorry I am not agent so I can not help you find a house there. 200k should be more than enough to buy you a single house and not a townhouse they are cheaper. good luck!!
Hi there,
I lived in The area for 6 years, as it is very nice. I have a house not far from there in the St. Cloud area that is in your price range. Lovely 3,000 sq ft., 4 bedroom, 26,000 gallon pool, covered lenai. St. Cloud is a very family orientaed community. Lots of sports, Recreation center, Historic downtown, Beautiful lakefront. If you would like to see pictures I can send you some as I live in Colorado.
Tracy
Hi Andrew,
Rent for a while. This will give you the opportunity to search for a suitable house / townhouse / condo. Wait another year to buy, prices are declining. Good Luck
Wow. How about this service Andrew. Say the word Avalon Park and you have over 20 responses.

I have lived, own and rent in this area. Been a resident and relator in this area for nearly 10 years. Most of my business is here.

Please visit our web site http://www.TopValueGroup.com or call 407-222-4545.

We would love to help.

Mike Luzzo
Andrew,

When buying a home you should think about your loved ones, which you are doing. I recommend that you look at the school district's websites to find which schools have the best rating and crime rates websites. Once you have that down, then start looking for your dream home, which is the one your wife would pick and close to the best rated schools.

If you need help with anything you can contact me directly and we can narrow down your search to make your transition less stressful than it should.

Hablo Español

Rene Andino
Z House Realty Group
407-501-3140
rene.andino@gmail.com
Hello Andrew!

Our company is closing a very nice townhome in Avalon Lakes September 7th at $100K. This is a 3/2.5, 1,738 sq-ft, 1 car garage unit. We work the Avalon Park area and have extensive experience as buyer's agent. We also assist you with the mortgage financing.

Let us know if we can assist you. We will provide you with World Class Customer Service.

Look forward to hear from you!

Javier Rodríguez
Real Estate Broker
HouseStar Realty Group Inc.
Lic: BK703443
SFR Short Sale and Foreclosure Resource

O: 407.429.5243 | Cell: 407.301.3401 | Fax: 407.373.0064 | eFax: 407.264.6260
E: jrodriguez@housestarrealty.com
Main Office: 1033 Semoran Blvd Suite 245 | Casselberry, FL | 32707 USA
Branch Office: 13538 Village Park Suite 260 | Orlando, FL | 32837 USA
Websites
http://www.facebook.com/bienesraicesenorlando
http://www.clasificadosenflorida.com
http://www.myfloridahomesmls.com/centralfloridarealtor
http://centralforidarealtor.mfr.mlxchange.com
Hi Andrew,
Avalon Park.....great choice indeed! It comprises a number of very desirable neighborhoods,
included a number of gated communities and, depending on where you buy, there are
plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distancce. It's a great place to live!

$150K is on the low side for this area (but possible, if you don't mind investing a little bit of $ and
sweat equity in a home that might be a little bit distressed). $200K is definitely do-able. Most of this area qualifies for 100% financing so you could purchase a new or re-sale home with literally no money down,
if you qualify. The schools in this area are great too! The downside????.............Actually, I can't think of one.
If you would like I can send you some of the listed homes in the Avalon Park area in your price
range. This way you can see what's out there from the comfort of your own home. If you
think this would help, feel free to contact me. I am just a phone call away. All the best.

Sylvia Paul
Realty Center
Cell: (4-07) 864-3139
sylvia@sylviapaulrocks.com
Andrew,

Avalon is a very desirable area. You would need to come for a visit to drive around so you can see for yourself if you like the area. You should also consider Waterford Lakes area, Oviedo, Winter Springs.

Also, where will you be working? How far are you will to drive to work and schools? There is a lot to consider when you are purchasing.

Call me or email me if you would like to discuss what you are looking for.

Franki Gonzalez, Infinity Real Estate Group
954-918-4665
franki@bellsouth.net
HI - Avalon Park is a wonderful area and there are similar areas in Orlando like it as well - so the good news is that you have some options to consider. Your budget will certainly allow you to accomplish your goals.

Chris and I will be happy to talk with you to help you locate the perfect neighborhood that fits your lifestyle.

We look forward to working with you. Please feel free to give me a call on my cell phone. I can email you a great deal of info before you come to town.

Warm regards,

Amy Wagner
Cell 407-488-9043
Andrew,

The reality is your budget gives you few choices. In Baldwin Park you have one 2/2 condo under $200k and in Avalon Park 90% of the 6-7 properties available will be stressed sales (short sales, foreclosures, etc). Orlando is geographically huge and Avalon Park to Baldwin Park is quite a distance.

Why are you relocating? Job? Family? Is commute time important?

You need to plan a day trip look at these "contained" communities and then decide what you like better. Not sure any agent is going to tell you "yes, it is full of stressed sales and with stressed sales it can get run down. " Do yourself a favor and check out these communities yourself, see what you like and then hire an agent to represent you.
Noted that many recomended Baldwin park. You should know only ONE home in this area is below $200,000. If you want Baldwin park you should know average list price of current listings is $ 675,521

Median list price is $499,900 - wonder why they think you would want to look in Baldwin park if the price is over twice what you are looking for?????

I am willing to help you in YOUR price range!!!

John
http://John@JohnABennett.net
Avalon Park is only one of many communities to consider those options here in central Florida. Your desired requests could put you in a few different specific geographic areas. Do you have friends or relatives living here that can 'be your eyes and ears' to prequalify some ideas and locations for you before you make the move. That has worked well with my out of town Buyers and really saves you a lot of time. Let me know if I can help you further.
Mike Sperling
407-463-5348
Orlando Classic Homes
It seems, you get so many answers, and request to choose them, how do you really know how to choose someone.
Andrew,

I would also recommend looking in the Dr. Phillips ( townhomes/condo's ) not many shops but restaurants, grocery etc. Baldwin Park and College Park. Let me know if I can answer any additional questions or concerns that you might have.

With Regards,
MIke Flahaven
Keller WIlliams Realty Lake Nona
Andrew
I cover all of Orange, Osceola & Polk counties.
I'd be delighted to work with you and your family.
Please feel free to contact me at your convenience.
Chris
Good morning Andrew,

Avalon Park is a very nice and convenient area. However, you should also consider Seminole County (Winter Springs, Oviedo, Altamonte Springs and Longwood) famous for their schools.
Another new and upcoming area is Lake Nona, where the medical city is being built. This is a new area, with a lot of choice and new schools, which are of course state of the art. The medical city and facilitites being built around it guarantee good growth for the future.
Please let me know if I can be of further help.
raquel@orlandorealtyqueen.com
Hi Andrew, Avalon Park is a very nice complex, they also have Waterford Lakes and Baldwin Park. If you want to be very close to DT, then I will suggest Baldwin Park. They have townhouses, single family home, etc. - Also the City Of Orlando has great program for 1st time buyes.

Feel free to email me back your email so that I can provide you with properties on those area.

Have a great day.

Ada Sanchez
Pacific Atlantic Realty
407-342-2664
ada0425@yahoo.com
Hello Andrew,

Avalon is a unique community that has a lot to offer. It is always to best to visit the community and schools. We would be happy to meet with you and give you a tour of the area so you will get a sense for the community and see if this is where you and your family want to live. Please give us a call if you would like to discuss any of your concerns or set up a day and time to meet.

Tony & Carol Marino
Real Living Real Estate Solutions
407-468-2004

I could answer any questions that you may have about Avalon Park since I live there. I can answer questions that you may have even if you don't consider my services. I personally LOVE the community and Happy to answer any of your questions. As always there are great Realtors to choose from. Lots of Luck, call me if you like.

Eddie Torres, Realtor
Armel Real Estate Team
407-832-8641
Available rentals are listed at http://www.JulieRents.com
If you would like to sign up for the property list for that area please go to http://www.orlandoflorida-realestate.com.

Michael Smith
Homexpo Realty
407-383-5351
Avalon Park is beautiful, vibrant and the "downtown" area is very family oriented.
Baldwin Park is also a great family oriented area.
If you need help or just someone to ask questions of, feel free to email me and we can set something up!

Carol Bauza
Keller Williams Advantage II Realty
carol@carolshome.com
Andrew,
Find a realtor, who you are comfortable with, right here on trulia, or look for answers here that are helpful and contact a Realtor based on that. A local Realtor, will be able to give you a good idea about the different neighborhoods and identify what's important to you and suggest properties and areas based on that.
Genevieve Ramachandran
IT"S great I am on my way there today. Great bargins are to be had. If you are in the area I can show you some homes this afternoon.

John

352-978-4539