Home Buying in Austin>Question Details

Trevor, Home Buyer in Saratoga, CA

I am looking to relocate my family from San Jose, CA to Austin. I'm looking for an agent to help!

Asked by Trevor, Saratoga, CA Sat Apr 6, 2013

So far, we like the Cedar Park area. It is very important for us to find an agent that relates to our needs. We would like an agent with young children. We have 2 boys ages 6 and 2. So good schools and a family friendly community are important. Also another very important thing we'd like in an agent is that they are a believer in Jesus Christ. We love our church here, so finding a good church there will be important but more so having the agent understand the spiritual implications of a move like this.

Answers

16
Jason Crouch’s answer
Hi Trevor - I may be too late to the game, but I would love to help. My family and I helped plant a church in Georgetown about 5 years ago, and I am a deacon there. I also run a ministry for homeless and needy families, so my faith in Jesus is important to me. We have four kids, ages 14, 12, 7, and 4 (one boy, three girls).

I've been selling homes for 16 years full-time here in Austin, and I own a small company (12 agents currently). We work with a LOT of buyers who are relocating to this area.

If you'd like to talk more, feel free to call me anytime on my cell phone at 512-796-7653. Our website is at http://www.austintexashomes.com, and our ministry website is http://www.luke6ministries.org.

Thanks!

Jason Crouch, Broker/Owner
Austin Texas Homes, LLC
Trevor,
I would be honored to serve as your agent/advisor. My kids are grown so now I have a grandchild to help nurture. We are all christian folks. My son teaches at a private religous school.
If you choose to give me a call. References available.
Bill Austin ~ 512-709-6343
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 6, 2013
Trevor, I am a mortgage broker living in New Braunfels, TX, about 44 miles from Austin. I am married and have 2 young children;my son is 8 and my daughter is 5. I would love to help you finance your purchase.

Let me know if I can help!
Trevor - You are asking the wrong questions. You do not need an agent who shares your interests, beliefs & has similar values & family size. I go to church & have kids as well. That does not qualify me to identify & really understand your needs even before you realize what they are. Be careful on your selection based on your personal preferences. Ask agents some of these very fundamental questions.

How does Austin's COL compare nationally?

How will traffic concurrency impact me?

How's Wal-Street reacting today & will it effect me long term as someone relocating.

Finding a house is not rocket science although some would had you believe so. Schools, also easy to identify. There are underling questions that need to be addressed otherwise you could be set yourself up financial disaster.

Take & Good luck

Allan Griego
512.705.0610
Hi Trevor!

Austin is an awesome city to raise a family! There's always tons of things for kids to do.

I have a 7 year old myself and we try to make every effort to put religion at the center of everything we do. I was raised in a Lutheran church and I can say it is some of the fondest childhood memories I have. I know of a few large churches that would offer great fellowship.

It sounds like your priorities will be searching for a master planned community in close proximity to a top ranking Elementary/ Jr High school. I live very close to Cedar Park and am familiar with the area. It would be a great choice in relocation. I would love to talk more with you to see if I may be a good fit for you and your family to work with. I consider myself to be very intuitive to my clients needs/wants and will not waste your time with properties that will not work for you.

Please feel free to contact me anytime. I'd love to talk to you more about your relocation.

Jennifer Droubi
(512) 804-9665
Jennifer@DroubiRealty.com
http://www.DroubiRealty.com
I predict regulations rolling out in more states than Texas and more countries than U.S.

Not only regulations, but incentives. Home buying and home owning incentives to choose zero-scape and xeriscape options over regular sod landscapes.
Rain Barrel & Gutter incentives for home owners and builders.

Maybe even rain Barr and gutter regulations (code) for home builders, and the same with building codes on landscape. For example, it might be wise to mandate "50% of landscape must be xeriscape or 30% must be zero scape".

Taking care of a yard, in my opinion, is wasteful, outside of managing a garden.

Simply put, people will be pushed and incentivized to be more resourceful.

Imagine if our home water supply was restricted to a certain amount of gallons per day, based on a formula of squarefootage, lot size, and location. i see that as a viable solution, even though i will miss my long hot shower!

A $43,000 windmill system (no fuel needed to run it) can create up to 2,600 gallons of water per day.

Other options are brewing too.

What's a good idea or fair regulation concept to you??
Thanks for all the responses. Just read this article over the weekend. What are you thoughts on this: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/sunday-review/getting-seri…

I've lived in California my whole life. Drought has been a real problem, but never directly damaging to my lifestyle or business. Do you think it will change for the better in Texas?
I am certainly no water expert, so I don't know what will or can be done to handle the drought for our city long term. However, I'll let you know what the real impact of the drought on our lifestyle has looked in the past couple of years. Watering restrictions have been put in place where you can only water landscaping on certain days of the week. Most areas can water twice a week right now, but during the most severe drought, we were restricted to once a week. Landscaping can look pretty decent with twice a week watering, but it definitely suffers on once a week watering. (You can get variances when you plant new sod/landscaping.) Restrictions also impact when you can wash cars, or power wash, or run decorative fountains, etc.

Best we can do is keep praying for rain to fill up Lake Travis! It is looking pretty sad these days.

Margaret Jolly
512-496-2281
Flag Tue Apr 9, 2013
Hi Trevor,
Best of luck with your move! I have lived in Austin for 18 years, and raised two children here, so I know what is important for families with young children. I have been a full time real estate agent for over 11 years after 10 years of working in sales and marketing for high tech companies. I know the Northwest Austin, Cedar Park, and Round Rock areas very well. There are lots of great, family friendly neighborhoods here and I would be happy to give you the "inside scoop" on each community.

Ultimately, you will need to find a Realtor that you really click with. Obviously, there are many agents on this website who are ready to help you. I would recommend that you speak with several by phone and see how the conversation goes and who feels right and who seems to understand what is truly important to families with young children..

You can learn more about my background and my real estate philosophy on my website at http://www.margaretjollyhomes.com on the home page, and on the "about us" tab.

I would love to be one of the agents that you interview. But regardless of who you end up working with, I wish you the very best in your move to Austin. I have lived in many places (I moved every 3-4 years when I was a kid), and once I landed in Austin, I knew I wouldn't leave. I've been here 18 years now and still love it!

Margaret Jolly
512-496-2281
margaret.jolly@kw.com
http://www.margaretjollyhomes.com
I recommend Austin Stone for your Christian Church needs. You'll love the services and values of their productions in incorporating live music.
Its truly "Austin" and your friends will love visiting just for Sundays!

Shawn Monshaugen
Austin's 1st Zero-Emissions Realtor
Elite Texas Properties
512-663-4686
Web Reference: http://www.ShawnMon.com
Thanks for your response. Your actually the 3rd person to recommend that church. I'm assuming thats where you go? What areas would you recommend looking for affordable homes in family friendly, good school neighborhoods?
Flag Tue Apr 9, 2013
Hi Trevor, my wife and made the move from Los Gatos to Austin 25 years ago. Best move we ever made. My kids are grown and gone both K-12 in Lake Travis ISD both Advanced degree college grads. My wife Fran and myself work in the business and we believe our job is give you the best information so you can make the best decisions for yourself. Cedar Park is in Leander ISD and good schools, but tax rates higher than most. There are some great family type neighborhoods in CP. Best of luck on your move and if you need any advice feel free. My phone is 512-751-5996
God Bless,
Julian
Hi Trevor, here's something you might seriously consider. My wife and I are a real estate team and we do what is called our LIVE Austin Virtual Information Tour, which is the most technologically advanced way for you and your family to get up to speed on the layout of Austin, school districts, neighborhoods and communities, property tax rates (lowest to highest), architectural and building styles, and so much more...while you're in CA. Austin is too large of an area for you to try and figure out on your own and you certainly don't want to come here and waste time driving around discovering places you don't like when you could have known about them in advance. All of our clients relocating from out of state say that the virtual tour helped save them up to 70-80% of their time in finding the best community and place to live for them. If you're interested, just let us know. Have a wonderful day!

Michael and Stacy Spickes
Realty Austin
Austin's Real Estate and Relocation Specialists
512-699-0400
Hello Trevor,

I understand that moving with your family is an exciting and challenging time. The emotions and feelings of moving a family cross country can be daunting. Know that working with the right agent will make all the difference. No two agents fit a family best, so taking the time to interview agents will ensure that you find the agent you feel comfortable with. My business is built on family first. I believe that my role is to act as a guide to the home buying process and Austin in general. I love introducing people to Austin.

I would love to have to opportunity to talk with you and work with you as your Realtor.

Molly Ironmonger
512-222-9795

I have a great introduction video to me and my business on my website http://www.maiaustinhome.com
There is an agent under every rock. And they're in the field for so many reasons - some are part time, some like to look at houses, some like to meet new people, some like giving tours of Austin, some just love what they do - helping a buyer or a seller with their specific needs. You will meet and be contacted by so many so please take your time by finding one who "fits." You also need to consider an educated agent, one who returns calls and provides you specifics on neighborhoods you're considering.

Personally, I am a Christian who lives near Cedar Park and has lived in Cedar Park and is surrounded by young boys (ages 4-13) and am now a grandmother. I have relocated to this area as well. This REALTOR takes her job seriously and continues to stay on the cusp of events happening locally. I recently helped another family relocate from San Jose and was told it was because of me that they made the leap - of all places -- to Cedar Park. Notes from buyers like that makes me ever so grateful.

There are many of us who will fall into the category you have requested. I do hope you take your time and know you will meet several of us who are of true character. I am sure whoever you choose will be well thought out and I wish you the best.

Laura McMillan
Avalar Austin Real Estate
REALTOR, ABR, ASP, CLHMS, CRS, ePRO, GRI, SRS
512.903.5268
http://www.avalaraustin.com
http://www.austintexasrealestate.com
laura@avalaraustin.com
Thanks for your response. What areas would you recommend looking? Cedar Park looks great, but the property tax rates seem much higher there. Also, where do you go to church there?
Flag Tue Apr 9, 2013
Hi Tevor,

While the experience, knowledge, and integrity of the agent you select should be paramount, in addition to those qualities, my wife and I have 2 young boys, ages 8 and 13, and we're Christians. Please review the wealth of information I've provided in over 500 responses to Trulia questions, with nearly a 40% helpful ranking (typical is less than 10%).

Contact me through my Trulia profile, or call me directly.

Jeffrey Schnabel
Broker | Partner | Keller Williams
512-913-7480
Schnabeljs@gmail.com
Flag Tue Apr 9, 2013
Hello Trevor,

I think it is great that you and your family will be moving to what I believe is the best city in the country! I would love the opportunity to help you make the move easier and as stress free as possible. Please feel free to call or email me so we can further discuss your move.

Sal Zuniga
Goldwasser Real Estate
512-698-4800
Szuniga@gretx.com
Sal.AustinHouseReport.com
Trevor,

The move across the country is daunting! My wife and I are both agents with JBGoodwin here in Austin. We have kiddos aged 7 and 9, so we know about needing exceptional schools too! Let us know how we can help!

Bryan
http://www.paigeandbryan.com
512-653-3348
What areas would you recommend looking? Cedar Park looks great, but the property tax rates seem much higher there. Also, where do you go to church there?
Flag Tue Apr 9, 2013