Home Buying in Cape Coral>Question Details

paul.insound, Home Buyer in Cape Coral, FL

I am looking to purchase a 10,000sq.ft plot in Cape Coral what are the restrictions to build a home, size, stories, materials etc

Asked by paul.insound, Cape Coral, FL Mon Nov 28, 2011

I am just about to purchase a water lot in Cape Coral of 10,000sq.ft and want to know what type of property I can build, what is the maximum size and stories and also is there materials restrictions? I am looking to use my own plans will there be issues with this?

Answers

9
YEP! Florida has very strict codes, driven by hurricanes. In your area you are Zone ASCE-7-98 - you will be planning for 130 mph winds or more. This means your roof, your windows.

At high tide, go to your lot, look at the level of water in the canal, then think about a 20 foot storm surge, you will need to plan for this. No Straw houses allowed.

Your contractor can help you, Real Estate agents sell what they build.

John

You might want to check what you can buy, then think about your cost to build, then think about this difference.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 28, 2011
Are you planning on building the home yourself or do you simply want to use your own drawings? Perhaps you should take your plans to a few builders and have them bid the project. The restrictions are available on the web site Mark listed a few answers down the page. We have a new home listed on Gulf Access that was built in 2011 for $379,900. The builder was able to build it very quickly and he did a good job. If you think about it, most homes in the Cape that are for sale are 5 years or older now. I wouldn't be surprised to see a continued up tick in building permits. Best wishes.
Hummmmm so Carolyn, how does: "Buyer's agents work for buyers. Listing agents work for sellers. "
this fit into established Florida Law?

See 475.278.b and please let us know how all this works.
Paul-
Your agent should have all of this information prior to you even thinking about making an offer. Buyer's agents work for buyers. Listing agents work for sellers.
Carolyn
Hi Paul,

I just finished building a two story home in Cape Coral on a waterfront lot. As I recall, the first story is required to be block and the second story can either be block or wood frame. I believe the height restriction is 35'. The setback requirements are 7' from the side of the lot, 45' from the street (20' for easement and 25' back from easement) and 10' from the water. You can use your own plans if they meet Florida Hurricane Codes. If you have additional questions please feel free to contact me.
Sorry Kevin, I thought codes vary accoring to expected wind loads, storm surge expected. I learn something everyday.
You should review the City of Cape Coral building codes which are available here: http://www.capecoral.net/en-us/capecoralhome/aboutus/lawsand…
John

The codes are standard and I am happy to assist. But go to http://www.kevincloutier.com and click on vacant land in Cape Coral. It will show you all land available in MLS to make sure you find a lot you like.
Then I will assist you with obtaining the lot after we make sure your house will fit.
Call me at 239-246-6639 or email me kevin@kevincloutier.com

Cheers

Kevin Cloutier
Southern Premier Realty
Cape Coral, FL 33914.