Home Buying in Philadelphia>Question Details

Donke, Home Buyer in Quakertown, PA

I am looking to purchase a house in the 1 million dollar range. Is it worth it to hire an attorney? I know it is not required in PA but would be

Asked by Donke, Quakertown, PA Sun Feb 24, 2013

unwise not to? Are there advantages to hiring one? Any idea what the expense would be?

Answers

13
Wow 12 posts so far! Well I guess I will throw my 2 cents in. Its not necessary to have an attorney however when there is a transaction of this amount it never hurts to be sure about everything. It wouldn't cost much to have him look over all the paperwork, Let me know if your interested in looking at or would like you to send you properties of what I have available. There is no fee for using me as a realtor so that could save you some money right there.

Jon Unrath
Weichert Realtors Media
JUnrath12@comcast.net
267 968 1505
I always recommend that a buyer consider hiring an attorney. Much of it depends on your comfort level. First, make sure you have a competent, experienced agent representing you.

Make sure you hire a competent attorney experienced in real estate. I sit on the Realtor-Bar Joint Liaison committee for Montgomery County. The expertise of both the real estate people and Attorneys on this committe is incredible. Just remember, it is easy for an attorney to draft a one sided agreement that no seller will sign-the difficult agreement to draft is one that accomplishes your goals without rendering it unacceptable to the Seller.

Good luck with your purchase and the cost of hiring an attorney given the sale price is a truly nominal cost.

Robert C Weiss
Broler/Owner
Coldwell Banker Hearthside Realtors
215-379-2002
r.weiss@cbhearthside.com
I agree with you!
Flag Mon Feb 25, 2013
Get a good, trustworthy real estate broker. Knowledge of the agreement of sale is key.
Hello Donke,

For a million dollar purchase, $600 for an attorney is not a huges expense. However, I think it is equally important that you get a good Realtor, a good attorney and a good mortgage lender.Rememeber that all of these should be working for you and helping you attain your wishes.
I have an excellent Real Estate attorney and several Realtors that I use for my investment properties and would be happy to recommend them.

Alan Openshaw
Cornerstone Lending Inc
Southampton Pa 18966
215 953 0800
cell 267 992 7276
VOTED BEST IN BUCKS 2010 & 2012
NMLS ID 143960
We are happy to help if you need help. However, we always recommend that our clients have an attorney.
Natalie and Jared
215-839-9223
For your own peace of mind, get an attorney. Talk to a few Real Estate lawyers about their fees. You should feel comfortable about the process.

Jack Ceswell
215 472 2027
Donke,

Sounds like others have covered your question already, but I would agree with the point that having an attorney review the agreements for the sale, is worth the hourly rate. Additionally, having a Buyers Agent that represents only you, and that you trust, is also key when making a large purchase. There are many details within the offer to purchase that your Agent should cover with you, such as inspections, options for deposit funds being returned, etc.

I would be happy to assist with your search and discuss these topics more in private if you would like to contact me, or email me your number.

Either way, good luck with your search!

Jennifer
email: Jennphilarealtor@gmail.com
Good Evening DONKE, YES..... for the amount that they (the Law firm) charges you on one of your biggest investments in your life? YES...

If you don't know the home sale process then make sure your Attny does. Get a REAL ESTATE Attny.

-All the Best John +Sheri, RE/MAX - 215-757-2889

http://www.mobile.homecatch.com
Hello, Donke,

If you typically consult with an attorney in your other affairs, then it isn't a bad idea. It all depends on the level of trust that you have with your Buyer Agent. Atthelporney fees can be $150-250 per hour depending upon who you engage. It is also of utmost importance to have a real estate attorney, not a malpractice, family practice, etc.

Should you need any additional help, don't hesitate to ask.

Carol Cei
Five Star Professional
ReMax Platinum Club and Hall of Fame
ReMax Action Realty
215.643.9661
carol@carolcei.com
Web Reference: http://www.carolcei.com
Donke, it is always recommended that you hire an attorney.

That said, because of the expense and because we use standardized forms in PA, I would begin with your Realtor as they are free to the Buyer. While they cannot give legal advice, they can guide you through negotiations, inspections clauses, inspection repairs, etc.

If at any time it becomes a complex, nonstandard transaction, your Realtor will alert you that it is time to get an attorney.

I do much business at the $1-2MM price point and have represented Buyers both with and without attorneys.

Hope this helps and good luck in your home search.

Eric Axelson, Associate Broker
Kurfiss Sotheby's International Realty
267.507.2287
axelson@kurfiss.com
Web Reference: http://kurfiss.com
Hello Donke,
Certainly wouldn't hurt.
The purchase process is not complex enough, perhaps, to need to hire an attorney but to have your council review your agreement of sale and other documents prior to submitting them, review seller's disclosure statement, etc. May be if any negotiation or contract time lines compliance, inspection disputes arise it may be a good idea to have an attorny on retainer. I could recommend one or two.
Please feel free co contact me any time. Would be happy happy to assist.
Dmytro V. Bova
Realty Matk The Diamond Group
Main Line Investors Group
610-348-8389
610-449-1919
As realtors we are not allowed to tell you to Not get one. You can get one after you find the home so that they can review the contracts and also show up at settlement to help you there too. There fees always range depending on the work they have to Do and what law firm they are with ... I see price ranges from 500-1500.... If you would like me to send you properties in the area that you want to move, just send me an email with what your criteria is ... JasonLepore@aol.com
You can also email me with any other questions that you may have.
Jason Lepore
Remax
Selling in Nj and Pa
Broker Associate
Web Reference: http://Www.LeporeTeam.com
Donke,

I cannot stress enough how important it is to run everything by an attorney. Some may disagree but spending the extra money is like a small insurance policy on such a large purchase, especialy a million dollars.

Hiring a reputable agent is just as important.

Tyler J. Morrison
215.710.0710
tmorrison@tylerjmorrison.com
Web Reference: http://Philly-Sales.com