Home Buying in Derry>Question Details

Laura Taylor, Home Buyer in Quincy, MA

I am looking to purchase a 3 bedroom home on a 2 bedroom septic. Is this a bad idea for resale?

Asked by Laura Taylor, Quincy, MA Wed Oct 16, 2013

I am looking to purchase a 3 bedroom ( real 3 bed with closets). 2500 sq ft. home in Derry. This is on a 2 bedroom septic and the lot only allows for a 2 bedroom septic. I checked with town hall and technically this will need to be considered a 2 bedroom and resold as a 2 bedroom on a 2 bedroom septic. How will this effect my resale? Is this common? Is this a risk to purchase? It is a great home with many upgrades and we don't know how big of a deal it is or not.

Answers

4
Hi Laura,,

if you purchase a home with a 2 bedroom septic system; then it is a 2 bedroom home (legally).
We see a lot of this in the market and should be cautioned by it. There is a big difference in value between the 2.
I would like the opportunity to help more- will need to meet you and see the property. You are asking a very important question- before you buy! Smart Lady! Kim Spanos/ Spanos Realty 603-894-4600
Maintain all the records of when you have the septic tank pumped out and when you regularly use products such as RidX. Do check with a septic tank expert, as someone else suggested. When you go to resell your property, provide all those records and considering marketing it as a 2-bedroom with extra office space or an extra bonus room.
Laura,
That can be a huge deal, not just because of resale, but because of longevity of the septic system. They are designed to handle a certain amount of "workload" and overuse can cause them to fail early. The resale is an issue because of the same reasons. If you have ever had to replace a septic system, you will understand why it is something that you really don't want to do.
If you would like some help to find a home that WILL be a good purchase, I would love to help.Robin
Hi Laura, it is easier to sell a 3 bedroom home rather than a 2 bedroom in my opinion. As for the septic system, like you, there are people who will buy into a situation such as this (3 bedroom with a 2 bedroom septic). I wouldn't say this is common. I've heard of more 4 bedroom homes with 3 bedroom septics. Try calling a septic company and ask there advice. Then at least when you decide to sell you will be able to pass the info onto your buyers. Good luck!