Home Buying in Tampa>Question Details

Melissa Fiel…, Other/Just Looking in Raleigh, NC

I am looking to move to tampa possibly for a job.. Where would be a great place to live near the beach for a great school for my children?

Asked by Melissa Fields, Raleigh, NC Thu Feb 27, 2014

Answers

13
Good Morning Melissa,

A great place to live in the Tampa area is Palm Harbor and has one of the best schools in the area, Palm Harbor International Baccalaureate High School. In addition to this check out the Pinellas County Public Schools website https://www.pcsb.org and search for A-rated schools. It is also good to know that counties in Florida have what's known as "school choice" so you can choose any school in the county to have your child go to. There is an application process for this but important for you to know as you choose where to live. Another suggestion is to choose a couple of schools that you may want to see your kids go to and call to speak to the Principal. Ask how involved is the Parent Association and what is the average experience/tenure of teachers at that school. This will give you an idea of the turnover and better understanding of the environment within the school. Also, many Principals will give you a tour if you ask them.

My partner, Julie is also an educator and has been for over 13 years in the Tampa area so she is very knowledgeable about the schools and programs that are offered.

If the job opportunity becomes available and a move to Tampa is in your families future please feel free to reach out to us for any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you and have a great weekend,

Stan Nedelko and Julie Banks, Realtors
Coldwell Banker
813.505.0910
stan.nedelko@floridamoves.com
http://www.nedelkohomefinder.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 1, 2014
Hi Melissa, I wanted to follow up with you and see if a move to the Tampa area is still something that may be happening for you and your family. Please let me know and have a great week.
Flag Wed Jul 9, 2014
Hi Melissa,

The potential for your husband to work within Corporate Lake Drive puts you in a great place to look for homes in Northwest Tampa (where we happen to live) or Odessa. It is about a 30 minute drive to Clearwater Beach, a little closer to state park beaches like Honeymoon Island. This area puts you about 15 minutes from work. The schools are very good here and we can keep you out of the dreaded insurance flood zones. Westchase is a great community here with newer construction, lots of amenities, and Westchase Elementary School average test scores that run 20-30% over state average. Palm Harbor is a good area with similar test scores. It is about 10 minutes closer to the beach and you could save a little with lower HOA fees and taxes. We will make sure we set you up with homestead exemption to lower your taxes and compare the benefits of various HOA's in the gated communities. Palm Harbor would be about a 30 minute commute to work for your husband, so you would have to factor that into your choices. Another community, Odessa, sits right in between Westchase and Palm Harbor and we could show you some beautiful options there in the Waterchase Community and still keep you within the 15-20 minute daily commute. Coming from a rural area, the traffic here will be an adjustment, so we will want to find you a community with good access to common routes. I am looking primarily in areas that have young families, best schools, and other amenities for children. Five bedrooms in this area can range from $250k-450K. When we know your budget; and as we get to know your family, we can hone in on the best value for your needs. This is a beautiful area with some phenomenal homes to choose from. You must be nervous about moving after being in such a great area for so long in North Carolina. We can put together a personalized relocation package for you to help you adjust to this big change with tips, advice and referrals.

I hope this was a helpful start and as you learn more about what is happening with your husbands job opportunity, please feel free to reach out so we can help you and your family with the transition.

Thank you and have a great week,

Stan Nedelko and Julie Banks, Realtors
Coldwell Banker
813.505.0910
stan.nedelko@floridamoves.com
http://www.nedelkohomefinder.com
Flag Tue Mar 4, 2014
I would like to be within 30 min of the beach.. M husband would work on corporate Lake Dr in tampa... We would be looking for a 5 bedr0om home.. we live in rural NC and have ALL of our lives.. so this is a BIG change....
Flag Mon Mar 3, 2014
THANK YOU I will check out that website and Palm Harbor!
Flag Mon Mar 3, 2014
Melissa - I looked at your other responses. I am NOT a realtor. I live in Indian Rocks Beach (just south of Clearwater - next to Belleair Beach). Check Great Schools for any property you find. Some of the schools are good, some are not. The elementary school here (Anona) is very good, but when it goes to the middle or high school, they are not. Plan on paying for private school for middle & high school. But there are several private schools around. Try Reddington Beach and Treasure Island as well. Good luck - you will love it if you move here.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 27, 2014
Where is the job? Also, any other considerations like proximity to spouse's job, or field of work? Some of the other suggestions are good possibilities but should be balanced with where you and/or your spouse will be working.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 27, 2014
Go here for Waterfront Homes

http://www.Chriswhiteteam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 27, 2014
Belleair Bluffs is a great place to live within 1-2 miles of several beaches (without the need for with flood insurance) offering plenty of activities and amenities for adults and children of all ages!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 27, 2014
Look in Pinellas County. Clearwater is 10 minutes from the beach and so is Bellaire Bluffs, etc. How close would you like to be to the beach? It's all relative. Call Crystal Randall 813-658-3874
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 27, 2014
Melissa,

When you state above "near the beach", what time or distance did you want to travel to get to the beach?? Once I get this, I can give you areas that meet your other conditions. The realtor below, is stating communities in Hillsborough county, that are at least 40 minutes to an hour to get to the beach on a good day. There are areas closer that will also give the same result on your requirements. Also, there is a cost;/benefit relationship with the areas he is touting, which may not meet your budget or loan approval. Having relocated here 10 years ago, I know what issues you are facing. Also, knowing the location of the job in regards to commutes, I have found, is also a very big factor in the location of where you would be willing to purchase a home. I would like to talk with you to get a better idea of your needs.
Please feel free to contact me.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 27, 2014
Try Clearwater Beach or , Bellaire Bluffs. Great schools, close to the water and the beach water temp in the summer is 91 degrees.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 27, 2014
Hi Melissa,

I would recommend living in South Tampa, Hyde Park, and Westchase communities. All of these areas have highly rated schools and they are centrally located to downtown Tampa and just about all of the communities within the Greater Tampa Bay area. If you have any specific questions or concerns please feel free to call or email me at any time that is best for you.

I work with a lot of people relocating to Tampa and in fact I am working with 3 families right now that are purchasing homes and relocating here. Tampa is an excellent city and has so many things to offer. If you don't have a Realtor already I would love the opportunity to at least give you a tour of Tampa so that you can see all of the areas and decide on which communities and area would work best for you and your family.

Cody Powell, Broker
CDPE, CIAS, LCAM
J. Powell Enterprises, LLC
O. 813.843.8311
C. 904.710.8056
codypowell@jpowellenterprises.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 27, 2014
Seminole and Palm Harbor are the two top rated school systems in Pinellas County. For more information on schools in these areas, please visit http://www.pcsb.org for school grades, test scores, etc. If you would like to receive information on homes in these school zones, please contact me @ angie.sheridan@floridamoves.com.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 27, 2014
Another great area to consider is the Brandon, Riverview, and Apollo Beach communities. The housing newer and less expensive then the Tampa and St. Pete areas. I've been showing houses all over this area and know where the best communities and school can be found. Beaches are just minutes away. Call or email me to better serve you. markboyer@kw.com 813-407-2562.
Flag Thu Feb 27, 2014
Dana Shores is a great community, waterfront, and has a great feel to it. Let me know if you would like to look at some of the homes there.
Melissa Fields, Tampa is located in Hillsborough county. Both are landlocked with regard to a beach. The water the runs through Tampa is the HIllsborough River.

To be near the beach consider living in Pinellas, Manatee or Sarasota counties. These counties are located far west and have coast lines that offer public beaches.

Once you decide on a county, the schools and neighborhoods can be shared with you for your review and consideration.

Lynn Brock
941.313.1234
Brock Realty Inc.
http://www.brockrealty-inc.com
Visit http://www.brockrealty-inc.com where you can sign up for a FREE Listing book account which allows you to search the MLS in real time and receive morning reports on new listings, current pendings and recent solds.
Good Afternoon Mrs. Fields,

I would highly recommend moving to the Hyde Park, South Tampa, Davis Island/Harbor Island. These areas are some of the best while also being close to the water. The school systems are some of the best in Tampa. They are also close to many various community activities that go on down town and in the Parks. From music festivals to farmers markets you and your children would enjoy the area. Please let me know if you need any assitsance with financing. I am a Senior Loan Officer and would love to get you a pre-approval letter so that when you do move you can shop with confidence.
Please feel free to visit my website and request a quote or call me at 813-316-2172
http://stephanieadams.pmaclending.com/Default.aspx

Warm Regards,
Stephanie Adams
Senior Loan Officer | NMLS# 1001484
4010 W. Boyscout Blvd. Suite 600, Tampa, FL 33607
Direct 813-316-2172 | Fax 877-813-7519 | Toll Free 800-930-7334 Ext. 1477