Home Buying in Cambrian>Question Details

Beeya, Home Buyer in Cambrian, San Jose, CA

I am looking to buy in Cambrian park area and noticed a few 2/1 b SF homes near Hillsdale and Maridian ave. Is it wise to buy a 2/1 as a starter home?

Asked by Beeya, Cambrian, San Jose, CA Wed Aug 18, 2010

Few homes have added a den and a bath but original plan is 2bed and one bath. Most homes on that particular street are 2/1. Is it wise to buy a 2/2 or 2/1 considering current market and in terms of resale value?

Answers

15
Yes! if its n the Cambrian School district and it gets you into the neighborhood.

As this is a dated question, I will just post a general thought.
In general, more buyers look for a 3 bedroom and 2 bath in my experience, so if your budget allows only a 2/1, try to find one where there are expansion opportunities, where you can add a bedroom and bath later.

Kind regards,

Arpad
Cambrian is a great neighborhood with great schools. A couple of factors that make a good buy are location & good schools. Your relator can help you determine the schools and provide you with neighborhood data.

You can also start by going to http://www.greatschools.org to investigate.

Purchase a smaller property in a good location versus a larger property in a no so good location can affect your resale value.

If you would like more information or assistance in your search please feel free to call me 408-391-6722.
Web Reference: http://www.bahiafear.com
Hi Beeya. The simple answer is 2/1 will be a better long term investment than say a condo/townhouse. If you can swing the down payment now would be a great time to buy. From a resale perspective, depending on the neighborhood and specific home, the same things that are attractive to you now as a buyer or first time will pretty much be the same when you go to sell. It will still be considered a starter home and will be still be attractive to first time buyers and people looking in the lower price ranges. There is always higher demand for larger floor plans in the better school districts. You have a step up if the additions are in place and permitted but make sure the they are permitted. You or your agent can check http://www.sjpermits.com to see the permit history.

George Nowicki REALTOR®
Cell: 408.892.3379
DRE# 01363797
Email: George@Nowicki.net
Website: http://www.GeorgeNowicki.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/GeorgeNowicki.AlainPinelRealtors
Twitter: twitter.com/GeorgeNowicki
BLOG: georgenowickisrealestatenews.blogspot.com

Alain Pinel Realtors
1071 Blossom Hill Road
San Jose, CA 95123
408.754.1500
408.754.1501 fax
Hi Beeya, That is not an atypical home oever there. Now it is time to determine market price and a number of other factors to consider for your offer and negotiable terms.

I imagine you are already pleased with the neighbors, street feel, and location so, I would move to construction defects or potential problems..that is if the 'lay out' is acceptable to you.

Looks like the home may have permits?

Some questions to get answers to...
Does the roof have a good slope pitch?
Any evidence of corner cracks or evidence of repairs?
Condition of the roof hip (the highest ridge point) does it appear to be rigid?
Inside, is there evidence of cracks at the corners (include windows and floors)?
Is there a sufficient source of heating? Ventilation?
Does the bathroom show any evidence of moisture issues (does it breathe well?)
(a) Look on the outside wall for discoloration at the eaves and wall.
Considering the lay out,..Will it be suitable for your living area to still function well for you?

Consider your ability to afford it and move forward to an offer, build in solid contingencies and order a property inspection.

This among 8 or 10 other simple admin tasks.

Michael
please excuse the obsessive/compulsive in me that often rears it's head. :))
Thank you all for your response. The particular house that I am interested in already has a bed and bath built with permits. so that makes it 3/2 but beacuse it is an addition off of the living room, it does not necessarily go with the flow of the house. I think it is more suited as an office area with a bath or an occasional guest room than a regular bedroom. The location is great though, but being a first time home buyer and with limited budget I am a little hesitant. Any thoughts?
Hello Beeya,
If you can find a 2/1 or 3/1 in an acceptable neighborhood where the majority of homes are 3/2 and 4/2 just go for it. Your long term value is safe and can be improved by the addition of the 2 bathroom and possibly increasing the living area.
The best long term gains will allways be obtained on the smallest house in the best neighborhood.
Take a drive around Conway Ct and remember that the majority of those houses were once 2/1 or 3/1!
Hi Beeya, Found that blog I was talking about. I knew it was somewhere..on an older Blogsite

I linked it below for you. :)
Cambrian area is a bit expensive. If that's all you can afford, it's certainly better than throwing your money away paying rent. A plus would be a 2/1 on a larger lot so that down the road, you could expand if your budget permits.
Hi Beeya, I found them to be small when in a 2/1 configuration for a 'family size 'lifestyle. (grew up near there)

Most important to remember is that you make your money when you buy and not when you sell. I know that sounds counter intuitive but, it's true.

Location is always the key component to a great value and investment reward. Terri mentioned that before...I strongly agree.

Then consider potential...A 2/2 will always be more desireable ( so buy a 2 bath )

John S. makes a great point 3/2 is better overall. You might not have the budget so, buy, at least, a home that has the potential to add a bath.

This is a whole new consideration that creates the need for experience to determine where to expand i.e. sewer connectivity, source of water and how it affects the feel and look of the home.

A misplaced bath could do more harm than help. Wasting money is no fun! Right?

You may never intend to make renovations or grow your family however, having that option to expand is where you make your money - When you buy! I wrote something about that on my blog, wish I knew how long ago that was... ahh, oh well.

Just try to have fun all the way through!

Wishing you the best of fortune in your home search!

Michael
In that area there are a lot of cute 3/1 homes that may make more sense :)
It all depends on YOUR goals.

I grew up in that area so if you have any more questions, do let me know.

Kind regards,

Louis Stone-Collonge
Realtor ®
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lstonecollonge@kwsv.com
Hello Beeya,

You are probably looking in Hacienda Gardens area.

Homes in that area 2 or 3 bedrooms one bath, and I think it is a good location to start. Resale thru out the years has been good. I have had several clients that have use these homes as their stepping stone to their next home, however I have several clients that have added to the original house, enclosed the garage, added separate laundry areas, etc., and have raised their famillies, and do not plan a move.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call me or drop me an e-mail.

Jorge

Jorge E. Gosálvez
Broker Associate, GRI, SRES | DRE: 00811940
INTERO Real Estate Services
10275 N. De Anza Blvd. | Cupertino, CA 95014
(408) 249-3718 Direct | (408) 904-5465 Fax
Jorge@BrokersForLife.com | http://www.BrokersForLife.com
Just remember the rule of Real Estate, Location, Location Location. If the property is located in a great area
and there is room to expand as long as the other surrounding properties match your expansion. Example 3-4 bed /2 bath homes and you could expand to that and property is located in great area, then you have found yourself a good property. If you need financing shoot me a call or emai.
Web Reference: http://www.SrLoanPro.com
If it is truly a starter home and you plan to move, I'd stay away from 2/1 and go for at least 2/2, preferably 3/2. A 3/2 is both livable as a residence and considered the best overall rental size, whether you intend to rent it later or sell it to an investors.
It depends on your needs and budget. Resale is based on first location, then bedrooms and bath. I know Cambrian well, so if I may answer you more specific about a home or area, drop me an email.
Web Reference: http://terrivellios.com