Jennifer, Home Buyer in Long Island, KS

I am looking to buy and have 2 small children. This would be a first home for us so Im trying to get a good

Asked by Jennifer, Long Island, KS Sat Apr 26, 2008

deal for my money. We live in queens presently and would probably look into Long Isand. My question is what area without going to far out can we look into buying that are safe and not so expensive. I have looked into elmont and valley stream but I have been getting negatvie feed back from people who say they are not such great neighborhoods. Please help. Thank you.

Answers

12
Jennifer,

Obviously you've gotten a ton of feedback from many different agents. Where are you at with your home buying prospects? Did you buy yet?
Hi Jennifer,
As you as probably read previously, by law NY Realtors are not allowed to comment regarding neighborhoods, but we can direct you to websites that can give you further information. It's also hard to say where you should move. You must take into account where you or your partner works and how far a commute you wish to take. If you want, we can enroll you in our free home buyers website where you can look up different neighborhoods and decide what's right for you. You can email us at: longislandrealtors@gmail.com
As a Realtor, I are unable to give you the direction that you are looking for but there are many places where you could get neighborhood information. If you still need assistance finding a neighborhood that suites your needs I would be happy to provide you with some resources. Contact me @ GinaLolloRealtor @gmail.com. It is also difficult to estimate what not so expensive is, as this is different for everyone. You should contact a mortage consultant and see what your starting point should be and go from there.
With an over abuntant supply of homes and sellers trying hard to sell . How do you know what is the best Value for your money ? First , Ask yourself , What are my long & short term Real Estate goals. Am I looking at buying a smaller home now & then trade up in a few years. Should I buy in a development , so I dont have to do much , Like shoveling snow and landscaping , However you will pay a maintence charge monthy for these services , some can be very high . Do I need to be within a specfic School District , so I can remain longer (Remember School district means resale ) The better the district the more people desire it . How are the services within the town I am purchasing ( Police , Fire , Parks , shopping ) The house looks great , However is there an enviromental issue. Gas station , or Remember Love canal ? TOXIC SITE .
Once you have researched where you wish to live , Now comes the easy part . Affordabilty ? Never under estimate your monthly obligations , Things have a way of escalating , Taxes , Fuel , Homeowners Insurance , repairs etc. Try to prepare for the unforeseen events that homeowners face. Now that you found the house you want with the kitchen she loves and the garage to putter in . Research recent home sales , via the NET and get some insight from a professional Realtor. Your offer has been accepted , Enlist a quilified home inspector that has a good track record and have him go through the home , They run anywhere from $250 upwards of $1000 depending on the size of the home . Most will also do an infestation inspection as well ( Termites ) . Because of liability issues I have never seen any home inspection ,even new construction that has no adverse comments . They are usually corrective comments as small as an electric switch plate missing to an " if you buy this place even my clergy will not pray for you " . Unless you have an over abuntant supply of time, money ,energy and your wife has the patience of a saint . Let alone the elements against you . Some work is fine , Kitchen renovation , or new bathroom etc . Always research , your 15k kitchen can quickly become 40k if you are uniformed .
Once the inspector gives you the green lite a good question to ask is when can they give possesion , you dont want to wait months on end , things change so make sure that the parties agree on move date , that is placed in the contract. There are many unforseen issues thay may or may not occur , Dont be afraid to ask questions . The right professional Realtor knows their stuff and can make all these headaches unnoticeable .I hope I have given you some insight . And if we can assist you , Feel free to call
I understand you are looking for a house to buy. Currently we own homes in Nassau and Suffolk counties and cell them 80 cents on the dollar due to the low price we buy and renovate them for. It is obvious to me that you would benefit not only in your monthly payments, but taxes as well from purchasing one of our homes. We actually have programs set up to give assistance through federal grants and FHA programs. If you have any interest, please give me a call at 631-355-1947, or e-mail me at bph5025@psu.edu.

-Bryan Hirson
Hi, alittle advice and a slice of Long Island, okay.
I am not a real estate agent. I am helping my mother sell her house. We live in Suffolk County, Manorville which is between Riverhead and Selden, before the fork, as we say. (If you look at Long Island on a map, it sort of looks like a lobster's claw. "the Fork" is the pincher section.) This is a good family area. Easy access to the LIE and Sunrise. Highway access is a big deal for most of Long Island.
Look into schools, entertainments, area safety records, and TAXES. I don't know how young your children are, but you might also want to look into day care options too. Most child entertainments will be a drive. This is not a city block area. You might want to look for access to Long Island Railroad stations. Many folks who commute from here, drive and park, and then commute into the city. It's a chance to catch your breath, read, chat, and look out the window while someone else drives. Check into "predatory" lending practices of some major mortgage lenders, you might want to read up at Better Business Bureau info. I can't speak long on that, not my forteit. And make sure, you have, a good attorney long before entering into negotiations. Understand that your lawyer gets paid only if he/she makes that house sale happen. Your seller's lawyer gets paid whether the contract is made or not. If you come to terms with your seller before closing, as specifically as you can, you might save yourself some misunderstandings. And always realize what influence a stalled closing might have over your chosen lawyer when he or she makes suggestions.
You want to start off right, make a step to better your family. God bless you. Do your homework. You'll have to live with your decisions a long time, hopefully in a happilly set path.
As I said, I am not an agent. Originally, my family came from Jackson Heights. We moved out to Hampton Bays in the seventies when I was a kid, a place further east on Long Island. It is a lovely area. However, over the decades, the summer area developed a bumper-to-bumper traffic problem. People jam to the "Hamptons" for the beaches, clubs, and other attractions. That's the hamptons, and not all of Long Island. Manorville is not that way. We have quite a smorgasborg, here. Orchards, great schools, small farms, historical societies. One local farmer is from Brooklyn, makes for an unusual "Farmer Brown," but his hardworking family keeps a steady commerce. Potatoes, corn, cabbage, pumpkins. I'm sure the local stands must be importing watermelons. But the potatoes are the best spuds! In Manorville, we have horse stables not far from here, riding lessons and even stable rentals are available. Petting zoos. A few playgrounds to drive to. There is scheduled to be a massive amusement park built in Calverton--near Riverhead town. By King Kullen, there is a dance class studios. Probably a few more within a ten minute drive. I think Tai Kwan Do is still here.If not, Riverhead should have some, or Patchogue, or Shirley, 10-20 minutes drive. Grocery shopping is five minutes to a King Kullen, ten minutes to Riverhead for so much more: Tanger Run Mall, Target, BJs Warehouse, Walmart, Walbaums, K-mart, Home Depot, and more. Riverhead commerce is building up.
In the area, some folks own boats on trailers and just plop them in the waters. There are rentals on mooring/docks in Center Moriches. Some think that the cost is a bit stiff. I wouldn't know. Fishing, yes. Hiking trails, a few close by. We've got a lot of wild woods.
We live a mile from the LIE and yet, I've enjoyed deer visiting in the backyard. Pine Hills Golf club is up the road. A small airport offers lessons for piloting and skydiving. There is no one single picture that says this is all of Long Island. You have to decide what best you really want and go from there. Do you want a garden, a swimming pool, or a secure community that offers access to this and that? Do you want to live close the ocean or closer to the city? Do you want room to grow in case your family grows? Do you want to be close to a community college? Suffolk Community in Riverhead, Selden. SUNY Stonybrook University, St. Joseph's College, and more.
You live the same thing, one day that is recycled into something new each time, at your choice.
Look down the road, same five years. What do you want to see for your family, for yourself?
And good luck to you. It is exciting starting new.
Dear Jennifer,

The first thing you should do is go to a mortage professional and find out how much house you can afford to buy.

Step two would be to contact a recognized realtor who services the Long Isand area. I am with Coldwell Banker Surf in Oceanside. We service many areas that would meet your needs. On the Coldwell Banker website there is demographic infomation about the various Long Island areas. this would include statistics about schools, family composition, transportation, medium income, stores, transportation, etc.

There are a large number of houses that can easily accommodate a family of four and range from high 300s to low 400s.

Call me and we can speak. I can be reached at 516 220-6432.

Marsha Levy
Jennifer, Have you considered employing a LI-based buyer agent? It can make all the difference. Let me know if you'd like to learn more about this important option. GerryV (vazquezgerry@yahoo.com)
I am a real estate agent that services Long Beach, Oceanside, Island Park. These are great areas to raise a family. The beach is within walking distance in Long Beach and just a quick drive from the other areas. Since the market now favors buyers, we do have some great deals out there. Please give me a call or email me and I can forward you some listings or meet with you in person to discuss properties. Thank you for your interest and good luck with your house search.
Realtors are prohibited from commenting on neighborhoods and school districts. There are many online sources available that will help in your decision making process as well as speaking with friends and relatives, visiting local police stations and schools.

You can obtain FREE School and Neighborhood Reports, as well as FREE Buyer Reports, my Monthly Real Estate Newsletter and other valuable real estate information by visiting http://www.arlynnpalmer.com and these will help you narrow down your choices.

If there are several areas that you are considering, please call me at (516)410-3594 - I would be happy to speak with you and include you in my Listing Book Program - a new completely interactive program in which you can adjust the parameters of your search - that will help you determine what types of homes and which neighborhoods are available within your price range.

I am available to answer your real estate questions - that is a complimentary service that I provide to my clients. Good luck in your search.
Web Reference: http://www.arlynnpalmer.com
Hello!
The very first thing to do is check the schools and their ratings in the various areas and compare them. Also check any special programs that they might have which would fit the needs of your children, such as art and sports, gifted and learned, special assistance or after school programs. Also, you might look into programs offered by the county or state that provide down payment assistance and see where they are available, if at all. Then, as some of the other answers sugested, check rime reports and sexual predator lists. A good REALTOR can also provide statistics on prices and how much they have increased or decreased in the lat year. Some areas have held their values pretty well, even in a slow economy.

I hope that this helps!

Carolyn M. Canada, PA
Coldwell Banker
Realtors are not allowed by law to comment on neighborhoods and school districts. There are many websites and resources...if you are interested in an area, you might want to check with the local police precinct or someone from one of the school boards.

You can go to http://www.GailGladstone.com and click on "community info" and "school info."

If you wish to contact me offline, I will be happy to provide you with a free account on Listing Book so that you can check out what's on the market in which areas to see what your dollar can buy. Gail@GailGladstone.com.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com