Home Buying in Fort Valley>Question Details

Stephanie, Home Buyer in Virginia

I am looking to buy an old cabin the original type of cabins with small amount of land in Va how do I go

Asked by Stephanie, Virginia Thu Feb 5, 2009

about trying to find it. If I search GA for cabins all kinds of property comes up but Va seems so complicated and the web sites are difficult to use.

Answers

3
Matt Oesterle’s answer
my recommendation would be to purchase the land and old cabin separately. this gives you the most optionality and, most likely, the best end result.

there are a few places to purchase existing cabins, one of which is here: http://www.oldbarnwoodsite.com/old_log_cabins.htm

for land, without doing your own research, i would caution against starting by engaging small realty firms who will often push a limited subset of property that they directly represent. you can check MLS listings yourself for free by doing a google search for "MLS search virginia". a variety of websites will let you search all properties by just providing an email address. larger agencies like Remax.com will also have pretty wide coverage.

you'll also want to be careful to be familiar with zoning / code / etc. restrictions on the land you look at, or else you might end up with an empty piece of land and pile of old wood. the land sellers will not go out of their way to make you aware of these things. it's much more important to have a local real estate lawyer prior to making a purchase, than a local realty agency.

good luck
Hello, I am a realtor and a life time resident of the Shenandoah County, Virginia where there is ALOT of what you are looking for and all i need is you to email me at jrstickley@hotmail.com. Oh by the way i don't make my living doing real estate but i am full time at both of my jobs. See i am in management for a local manufacturing plant for the last 32 yrs so there won't be any pressure sales here. Cell # 1-540-335-6659 Thanks JR
I can refer you to an agent in that area who can pull information directly from the MLS that services that area. Actually, Ft Valley is on the "edge" of 2 different MLS systems, complicating your search. You'll need an agent that belongs to both in order to get a good search going. Please contact me directly, and I am happy to refer you... vchrisner@kw.com