Home Buying in Big Bear Lake>Question Details

Tandaswanson, Home Buyer in Big Bear Lake, CA

I am looking to buy a rental property in Big Bear. Which is the best location and how difficult is it to care for a home when you live so far away?

Asked by Tandaswanson, Big Bear Lake, CA Thu Nov 22, 2012

Answers

3
There can be issues, but it's not as hard to manage a rental property from a distance as some people think. I have managed rentals over a thousand miles away from where I live for almost 10 years. The key is you need to have a place with a strong rental demand and you need a good trusted property manager that can manage the rental. I have managed properties myself, but most would use a property manager.
Best advice I can share is to use a local agent. Ask for the Certified Big Bear Resort Property Specialist..
It is very difficult to care for a home without having a rental company to take care of bookings, check in and checkout of renters. Cleaning and checking for damages or theft, Making sure they don’t take your keys with them.
You need to be able to handle credit cards etc.
There are a host of responsibilities that go with renting property.
I don't want to discourage you from owning a rental property at all but I would encourage you to consider using a rental agency until you know what to do and how to do it before you dive in trying to do it yourself long distance.
I can direct you to some of the more experienced, trusted agencies if you like.
Call RE/MAX Big Bear (909) 866-6161 and ask for Tina Schmitt.
We do not personally handle rental properties but we do have affiliations with some.
With over 20 years of Big Bear real estate, I can also give you some advice about expectations for vacation rental properties.
If I can assist you in any other way, please don't hesitate to contact me.
If you are looking for a vacation rental property to rent when you are not in Big Bear you want to be near the lake or resorts. For the most part a vacation rental will do well if it is anywhere West of Division (the street which divides Big Bear Lake from Big Bear City). Some prime neighborhoods for Vacation rental are Moonridge, Foxfarm, or anywhere in Big Bear Lake particularly in Big Bear Lake East. To see all the homes for sale in a particular neighborhood just go to http://www.searchbigbearrealestate.com and either type the name of the neighborhood in the search box or scroll to the bottom of the page for a full list of all the neighborhoods in Big Bear and click on the one you are interested in. You will be able to see pictures, prices, and statistics for every home for sale in Big Bear and some of them have virtual tours too. If you need any help searching for that perfect Big Bear Vacation Rental just give us a call at (909) 547-4402.