Dan, Home Buyer in Westfield, NJ

I am looking to buy a house in Marlboro/Morganville. Since Rt 18 goes through Marlboro, is the noise from Rt 18 an issue when it is time to sell? Are?

Asked by Dan, Westfield, NJ Thu Jan 28, 2010

homes w/ noise from Rt 18 generally less expensive? The noise does not bother me, but I am afraid it will be an issue when I need to sell b/c as they say -- location, location, location

Answers

12
This question regarding Rt 18 would definitely depend on how close to Rt 18 you actually are. There some magnificent properties with very large lots over several acres where the actual noise is in the distance and only a hum. I wouldn't rule them out.
You are correct, the homes close to 18 will be a good price due to the noise, and if the noise doesnt bother you and you like the home enough then its ok to buy. Keep in mind when time comes for selling you will need to price accordingly to compensate for the factor and someone who is ok with the noise and like the house will buy it as long is the price is right.
Yes Location Location Location is right but price justifies everything.
Please give me a call 908-770-5999 and I'll be glad to discuss all options with you.
Web Reference: http://www.mymanalapan.com
Thanks for the question. Marlboro/ Morganville is a nice size area, and Rt. 18 is only one road
in the town. There are not many streets that back to Rt 18, and noise is not an issue. I lived for
25 years on one of those streets and there one many, many trees between and us. I don't remember
ever having a noise problem.
I would be happy to show you in Marlboro and Morganville and you can see for yourself. Please contact
me at 732-996-9945.

Very Truly Yours,
Isabel Jacob
Weichert Realtors
732-996-9945
http://www.marlboro-homes.com
Thanks everyone for your advice. The homes I am considering do not butt right up to Rt 18, but you can hear the traffic (eg, Parc Chateu, Paddock Club North, Colts Brook). I am just wondering if the noise is a negative. I can easily "tune it out". I am currently looking to sell my current home and I've been told that I will be penalized b/c the traffic can be heard (though not seen). thanks.
Noise would almost always lower resale value. Some people can 'tune it out' but many can not. More importantly, if noise would bother YOU, you probably wouldn't purchase a noisy property in the first place, so you wouldn't have to worry about resale value! Most properties in the Marlboro/Morganville area do not butt closely to Route 18, though, so noise is not a problem for most properties. There are many serene and quiet areas in these communities, many on cul-de-sacs and in lovely neighborhoods. I am an agent, serving Monmouth, Ocean and Middlesex counties. If you want some help finding a quiet home in a nice area, please let me know. Deb
Hi Dan
Most homes that back directly to a major highway will have lesser value & be more difficult to sell no matter where you look for a home. If noise is an issue just don't select those areas near highways. If you need assistance finding a suitable home in a quiet community there are plenty to choose from. Work with a local realtor that knows the neighborhoods & you shouldn't have a problem.
Joan Congilose CRS,GRI, e-Pro
RE/MAX Central, Manalapan
(732) 972-1000 Ext:364
(732) 232-5277
http://www.joancongilose.com
Hi Dan:

Your question is quite common for home buyers looking to move to Marlboro Township, Manalapan and the surrounding areas.

There are certain areas in Marlboro where the noise from Route 18 or Route 79 is noticeable. Some might find it bothersome, while others have been living in their homes for years and don't feel it's a nuisance.

You are right; location is always critical when buying a home, as homes in quiet areas are often a premium and usually yield greater long-term ROI when you sell.

Generally though, Marlboro is a well "buffered" community. There are some developments in Marlboro that are adjacent or at least close to Route 18 where you hear almost no noise at all.

Take for example a home I just listed in the Whittier Oaks East section (not too far from the convenience of Route 18). It sits on a quiet cul de sac on over 1-acre of land, with a serene country club backyard. You can click the link below to view it. This home and others are good examples of the tranquility Marlboro offers.....not to mention the outstanding schools!

Please call or email me if I can answer additional questions or be of further assistance to you.

Best wishes,

Amber Noble-Garland, CDPE
Strategic Marketing & Sales Expert
Short Sale Specialist
Weichert, Realtors (Marlboro/Manalapan office)
455 Route 9 South
Manalapan, NJ 07726

917-723-5645-cell
732-831-6176-private fax
732-536-4400, ext. 199 - office

"Your Reliable Resource For NJ Real Estate, Local Info & More"
Dan,

As a Realtor who lives down the street from you in Cranford, but works out of the Marlboro area, this question is near and dear to me. Just like I can hear the Garden State Parkway from my home, there are certainly homes in Marlboro that you can see and hear Rt. 18. The number of properties affected by Rt. 18 is actually a minority, but they do exist. For some of those homes, it is just a steady background noise, and for some it is right in your backyard. However, as I mentioned, that is the minority of homes in Marlboro.

Yes, if a property is in earshot of Rt. 18, the value of that particular house would decrease. And while it would affect your resale value down the line, it also means that you'd be able to purchase it for less than the homes further from the highway.

This is one of those personal preference things. There are people who buy in Marlboro that come from areas in New York where they are used to having those noises, and it doesn't bother them at all. At my home in Cranford, I have found that I don't even notice the sounds from the Garden State Parkway.

In the end, the simple answer is that, while proximity to Rt. 18 will bother more people than not, there is a buyer for every home if marketed and priced properly.
Hi Dan,
Many home buyers will consider highway noise an issue therefore it may become an problem when you are trying to sell, it really depends on the buyer. In general, Yes, homes that backup to a highway, are on a main road, etc. do sell for less.

If you need further assistance please feel free to contact me. I am very familiar with the Marlboro area and cover all of Monmouth, Ocean and Middlesex Counties

Heather Daccurso, Sales Associate
Remax Realty 9
Office: 732-905-8700
Email: heather@heatherdaccurso.com
Yes, a price adjustment for location applies to homes close to Rte 18, just as it would apply to any home that is on a main street. So you can buy it cheaper if the noise does not bother you. And yes, it will be an issue when you sell - the majority of agents will point out the locational issue to their clients before they show your home, and the majority of buyers will not want to see it. It all comes down to price.
Hello Dan! My name is Danielle Monaghan and I am a Realtor in the Marlboro area. The only homes that would have a noise issue are those located right near the highway, and yes they are cheaper. Some homes even have Route 18 as their backyard! I would not recommend buying a home too close to a major highway for resale purposes. However, Marlboro and Morganville are so large that there are some areas miles away from Route 18! These towns have always been in high demand by home owners. I would be more than happy to help you find a great home in Marlboro, in an area that is perfect for resale down the road. My office is located right on Route 9 in Manalapan, so I am 2 minutes away. Give me a call! 732-522-0290
A noisy highway is always a consideration when people buy! I would say it depends what else the area has to offer. Are there enough incentives for people to compromise on the noise? I would definitely get the advice of a local realtor (I specialize in Essex and Union counties) and ask them to do a market study of that area, versus another nearby that is similar, but without the highway noise and compare the market values.

Good luck! I'd be happy to recommend a realtor in your area if you need to connect with one.

Caroline Gosselin
Realtor / Associate
Coldwell Banker
Cell: (973) 985-6117
Email: Caroline.Gosselin@CBmoves.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/carolineinSOMA
My Blog: http://www.carolinegosselin.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Caroline-Gosselin-Premiere-NJ-Real-Es…
Trulia: http://www.trulia.com/profile/carolinegosselin