Home Buying in Johns Island>Question Details

kippermint, Home Buyer in Johns Island, SC

I am looking into moving to charleston area. What are the taxes on JohnsIsland and homeowners insurance? I`m looking around 175,000 for my new home.

Asked by kippermint, Johns Island, SC Sat Feb 16, 2013

Good, clean, quiet neighborhoods.

Answers

8
Dear Kippermint,

You will love the Charleston area, and Johns Island is a great place to live!

The homeowner's insurance will weigh into your decision on a specific home more so than the taxes.

Here's something you can do.
When you come across a property that you are interested in, go to this FEMA government site and plug the address in:
http://www.floodsmart.gov .

This will let you know if you are in a flood zone that will be higher insurance costs.

I recommend that you connect with an insurance agent to provide further detail and estimated homeowners/flood insurance costs, prior to making an offer.

Click this link (or paste into your browser) to view a sampling of homes on Johns Island in your price range - see something you like? Let me know when you'd like to take a look.
http://ctarmls.com/CharlestonReports/ListitLib/show_report.a…

Feel free to search on my site: http://www.blogcharlestonsc.com
Let me know how I can be of help to you.

Maureen Cody
Broker/Owner
The Keys to Charleston LLC
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 18, 2013
Kippermint - Johns Island has multiple jurisdictions with different tax (millage) rates. If you are going to use an agent, they can provide you with the latest tax info on an existing home and help you get an estimate on a purchase. Insurance is going to depend on many variables. Get a good agent that can help you obtain the info you need. Feel free to visit my Johns Island website page and let me know if you'd like to talk. I know the Island very well and would be happy to help.
Jim Bobo, Jr. Accredited Buyer Representative, Resort and Second Property Specialist
jim@jimboborealestate.com
Call or text (843) 442-7275
SC Land and Homes LLC
PO Box 1182
Johns Island, SC 29457-1182
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 17, 2013
If I can assist in any way with your Charleston - Johns Island home search please let me know. You can search for active listings by area and by neighborhood on my website. If you have some specific homes that have caught your eye let me know, I will research your tax and insurance questions and get back with you right away.

Dan Simon, Realtor®
Carolina One Real Estate
Direct #843-303-1464
dsimon@carolinaone.com
http://www.CharlestonHomesForYou.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 16, 2013
Taxes on Johns Island tend to be a little less than other areas because it is a little more rural. It's hard to be specific until you have a property in mind. But generally a 175K primary home would roughly be (and this is an estimate only) about 1000 to 1200/year. Insurance is a little harder to estimate because there are so many factors, such as elevation of home, what type of zone, etc that have to be determined.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 16, 2013
Good afternoon!

Wow...I am not sure that you need to hear from me since so many buyers' agents have already given you so much good advice!

I will only add that you need to shop your homeowners' insurance very carefully since rates vary by carriers. Some properties on Johns Island do require flood insurance but not all. In some instances, you may be able to assume the seller's flood insurance but if not, you may need to get an elevation certificate.

I hope I was able to help...if only a little bit! Have a great day!

Cheryll

Cheryll Woods-Flowers, Coldwell Banker United
cflowers@woodsflowers.com
843-442-2219
Yourd Insurance will be directly effected by where the property is located. Some homes even in close proximity to each other have vastly different rates due to flood insurance maps. We can research this as we look at specific homes.

If you want to get more specific, please feel free to contact me and we will talk about what your wants and needs are. If you send me your email, I can send you some listings to get an idea of what you might be looking for.

Kathy Emde
C-21 Properties Plus
kemde@century21properties.com
843-718-7379
I am a realtor and have access to the Multiple listing services. The Best way to find a home is to interview a few agents and see who you think you will be able to represent you the best. Keep in mind that mostl on site agents represent the builders. It is their job to represent the builder and they are not looking out for your best interest. You should know that in SC our agency laws require that your agent discuss the type of representation you all will be sharing as soon as possible.
Where are you coming from and how soon to you need to be in a home of your own?

Please contact me and I will discuss your wants and needs and help you with financing and all of the duties that come with representation.

Kathy Emde
C-21 Properties Plus
Kemde@century21properties.com
843-718-7379
I have sold many homes on Johns Island. In regards to taxes, it depends on whether this is your primary or secondary residency. Taxes will be less if this is your primary residency. Insurance depends on a lot of factors, but I would say for a home around 175k that you would spend around $1000/year. I would be happy to send you a list of homes available.