Pankaj Chugh, Home Buyer in Campbell, CA

I am looking for property to invest in. I have $400k budget - What would make more sense - A condo on the bay area, or a house in the valley?

Asked by Pankaj Chugh, Campbell, CA Wed Jan 30, 2013

I am trying to choose between Sunnyvale, Santa Clara etc OR Tracy, Mountain House OR Folsom El Dorado Hills..All realtors point me to the area they specialize in. I need some genuine advice!

Answers

6
Mountain house has 2% tax rate. Definately dublin/ livermore if u can find any under 400,000. I work in the valley n bay area. Condo has associations. Looking to buy all cash or going conventional. Ppl bidding high.
Let me know.
Saba Kamran
5102448920
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 30, 2013
Also checkout Las Vegas, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa, Phoenix etc. You get couple of single family homes for that money with great schools. All these places have great property managers and tax advantages due to lot of investor interest.
Prices have gone up a lot recently but ROI is still a lot better.
Buying away from own home may help balance your real estate portfolio/investment if there is a downturn in the future.
It depends on what your long term plan is.

I understand that AMAZON is building a 1,000,000 sq ft building in Tracy. That tells me that there are going to be people wanting housing in the Tracy and Mtn House area.

The Bay Area as the other agents commented on is a HOT market. Rents are high and inventory all across the board is low. If you want income per month, I would suggest a multiplex. If you purchased a duplex or 4 plex in an area that meets your price range (i.e. S. San Jose or Oakland), that would be a good investment.

Due to inventory being low right now, it is difficult to find properties to purchase.

Jane Myrenget
Realty World Dominion
510.386.2065
925.216.3439
Pankaj- Seriously do the math... BAY AREA is the HOT market when it comes to renting. I would recommend you to run your own search. This is my very sincere advice.

Saba Kamran
510-244-8920
Pankaj,

I work with many investors since I am also a property manager. Of the areas you listed Tracy is the better investment opportunity. The amount of money you have to invest could get you possibly 2 homes in Tracy. Home prices are lower and rent is good. Specifically look in the area that is off of 11th Street between Lammers and Corral Hollow. It is easy access for commuters and the rent is a little higher then most areas in Tracy.

Your investment amount would only get you 1 house in Mountain House and you will need to consider higher taxes. While it may rent quickly because there is a large desire for people to live there, the inventory is very low and home prices have gone up tremendously in the last few months.

I do not work in the Folsom or El Dorado Hills so I am sorry that I have no advice in that area.

Good Luck with your investment.
Hi Pankaj,

I am an investor and the bottom line is ROI. HOA lowers your ROI, thereby excluding most condos etc.

Tracy and Mountain House have far better ROI's than Santa Clara and Sunnyvale area. I can't comment on Folsom nor Eldorado as I do not specialize in the area. I live in Mountain House and I am a premier agent with vast knowledge of the upcoming homes before they come to market for Mountain House and Tracy.

Tracy - $350,000, 4 bedroom - rent approx 1700-1900 depending on home and location
Mountain House - $350,000, 4 bedroom - rent approx 1850-2100 depending on the home.

I also assist anyone who buys a home from me to get it rented ASAP, including showing it etc. I typically have the home rented within 7 days from close.

Feel free to contact me for any further info at 510-917-2307 or Shaun@ShaunSells.com