Home Buying in Wrigley>Question Details

Megan, Home Buyer in Long Beach, CA

I am looking for more advice on the Wrigley area. Specifically, is it a desirable area to buy in? Is it safe?

Asked by Megan, Long Beach, CA Mon May 5, 2008

Quiet? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Answers

15
Lourdrie McNamee, MRP’s answer
Megan,

Hi, the Wrigley area is a very nice area especially north of Spring. Let me know if you would like properties sent to you, it would be my pleasure.

Lou McNamee
Coldwell Banker
Web Reference: http://www.loubandb.com
NOOOOO, maybe agents will tell you its nice, but I used to live there. Lots of drug dealing gangs shootings etc. I moved to Bixby Knolls to get out.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 5, 2008
The Wrigley neighborhood is a nice neighborhood. It has lots of charm and character and it is nicely situation to the 710 Freeway and 405 Freeway, which can be a big plus if you have to get on both of those freeways to get to work.

I feel it has a mixed and somewhat eclectic feel to it. The people are very mixed and the neighborhood also changes depending on where in Wrigley you decide to buy. I have sold several houses in that neighborhood and my clients are quite happy with their purchase.

Definitely the homes and neighborhood improves when you keep moving North beyond 21street and beyond Willow.

Homes are also affordable. And tend to increase in value substantially if you make some nice improvements with the years you spend there.

If you have any questions or want more info, give me a call and or visiting my website.
The Wrigley area is a great place to buy, You get more property for the buck.
I suggest you buy in this area away from apartment buildings. This
is where most of the mentioned crime comes from.
The Wrigley area has some lovely homes. Many of these homes have beautiful craftsmanship. As mentioned in earlier posts, I too believe the area of Wrigley north of Willow St. is more desirable. The lower section seems to be more densely populated.
Let me know if you would like to set up a tour of the area and I would be glad to set up a search or a tour of several homes so that you can get a feel for the neighborhood.

Alex Montelongo/Broker
Coldwell Banker Star Realty
562-810-7387 Cell
DRE Lic #01456982
alexmontelongo13@yahoo.com
My family has lived in this community since 1970, first near Golden and Pacific Coast Highway, then my father purchased our home on 21st and Maine in 1976, then I purchased my home near Golden and Spring in 1992. My brother owns a house on Maine and 24th and another brother used to live near me on 31st and Oregon.

Our neighborhood is very stable and, well, neighborly. Our neighbor next door who passed away a few years ago was the first purchaser in our block. He was a plumber for the contractor who built the houses in 1944. I know all my neighbors by name and most of the neighbors on my brother's house on Maine and 24th, how cool is that?

We are all professionals and this for us is one of the most affordable yet very nice family-oriented neighborhoods around, basically where we found the biggest bang for the buck. There are spots here and there where crime has been a problem in the past, but nothing out of the ordinary. Pacific Coast Highway was not a very nice place when we first lived here in the early 70s with a lot of prostitution and related crime, but when we moved a few blocks north it was night and day. I haven't seen that kind of activity in 20 years.

My parents raised 5 kids in Wrigley and I've raised 3 and I wouldn't change my neighbors or neighborhood for anything. My oldest son, a young professional just out of Cal State Long Beach, looked far and wide for an affordable place to start a family and he's now coming back, hopefully his offer on a home in Wrigley will be accepted.

In anticipation of your purchase, welcome!
Hi Megan,
The Wrigley area as in most areas has its problem areas. North of Willow is more desirable. As mentioned by other agents, many parts are very nice with treelined neighborhoods, pride of ownership and AFFORDABLE! Please contact me if I can help you further...

Ruben Gonzalez
727-623-1903
RealEstatewithRuben@gmail.com
I have several friends who live in the Wrigley neighborhood and love it. When I go and visit them, I love seeing the neighborhood, I love the tree lined streets. I love the mixture of the cultures. And you can see pride of ownership there because most people take care of their homes, lawns and so forth. Also it is easily accessible to the 710 Frwy and easy to cross town to the East side. I also describe the neighborhood as a pocket of Long Beach. Most of Long Beach is a city full of pockets.
The more nice people, who care about their homes, the nicer the neighborhood will be. I just bought a duplex, with a two car garage, and a large yard, in Wrigley for $181K I'm spending a little to fix it up. So far, it looks very nice, and quite frankly, the neighborhood is better for my tenure.
I'm looking to buy another one on the block, a SFR. Their asking price is $180. I'm going to offer $75 K and go from there. is I don't want it, unless I can steal it; and you shouldn't either. Don't be afraid. Don't listen to all the naysayers. Don't follow the pack. They're running way.
Megan,

The Wrigley area of Long Beach is a quiet, tree lined neighborhood, in which families have lived safely for most of their lives. As in many neighborhoods of Long Beach there is a better side of the area. Crime stats in Long Beach are taken in wide areas and do not account for the fact that most crimes are concentrated in small sections of those areas.

If you are considering the Wrigley area as a future home, there are many reasonably priced, very nice homes in the Northern sector of the area., Wrigley is just South of Bixby Knolls and the affluent Virginia Country Club neighborhoods.
Anywhere in Southern California is a great place to invest. Are you looking for faster value appreciation so you can get the most of your equity and invest other properties later? Or you are just concern about the safety of your family?

If you are concern about crime, crime exist anywhere. If you are concern about how much money you get when you want to sell, I advice buying properties in an area where appreciation is faster.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 24, 2008
Depends on the specific location and home. Now is a great time, but need to look carefully. I can help you on that.
Web Reference: http://www.centuryside.com
Megan, Wrigley is not a very desirable area. I have to agree with Ledeen that Bixby Knolls would much more desireable. It depends on what your price point is right now. But, if Wrigley is all you can currently afford, perhaps you would be better off delaying a purchase in the near term, saving a bit more money and let the home prices continue to fall around you.

Apart from a few “the world is flat” realtors, everyone realizes that residential real estate prices are falling in Long Beach. Those that are expecting a quick turn around from this bubble are dreaming. The last cycle took about 11 years to reach peaking pricing from the previous peak. Here are your Los Angeles County vanilla medians between 1989 and 2000: http://www.laalmanac.com/economy/ec37.htm

1989: $214,831
2000: $215,900

Pretty amazing, someone who purchased the “median home” for 214,831 sold for 215,900 11 years later. However, this bubble appears even larger that the 1989 run up, as depicted in the following graph: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laland/2008/04/where-we-stand.html . Granted prices are falling faster, so perhaps we can reach a bottom faster.

In my opinion this would generally be a terrible time to “invest” in real estate, unless you must buy now (because of a 1031 exchange, for example). All leading indicators are pointing in the same direction as to the Los Angeles market, (i) inventory has increased, (ii) sales transaction volume has slowed dramatically, (iii) lending standards have tightened (pulling thousands of potential buyers from the market), (iv) notices of defaults and foreclosures are at records levels, (v) the economy is slowing (looking more and more like a recession), (vi) literally thousands of high paying mortgage and other real estate related jobs have been lost in southern California over the past year and (vii) the mania which surrounded the real estate market a few years ago has been replaced by a conservative caution steering people to other investment classes. All of these things will put downward pressure on pricing for some time to come.

The reality is that residential prices in Long Beach will almost certainly be lower later this year, likely lower in 2009 and possibly even lower in 2010. Real estate cycles take many years to play out and we are at the early stages of a down cycle.

With that said, if you find your dream home and can purchase with a large down payment and conventional financing and don't care about prices dropping further, consider the purchase. But DON"T purchase with the expectation of future price gains for a long time. If history is any guide, prices will not rebound quickly when the bottom is finally reached. If all you can currently afford is Wrigley, you are better off waiting.

Best of Luck,
NewportFiji
Hi Megan,

I agree with Maggie. It's always a good idea to check with local police for crime statistics.

I think Wrigley is a great area! Yes, I do have a listing there & yes I live near Bixby Knolls. You can find some great buys in Wrigley right now. There are some great tudors & spanish styles. Upper Wrigley, north of Willow is considered a better area.

I'd be delighted to show you (either by email or in person) some properties if you're not already working with a Realtor.

Karen Miller
Dear Megan,

Contact the local Long Beach police and they will give you ALL the stats and current crime information for Wrigley and all different areas of Long Beach. The Long Beach police has a special community website which reports all that is happening in a neighborhood. That's your best bet.

Maggie