Home Buying in Hamilton>Question Details

Mr. Lewis, Home Buyer in Broad River, Fort Wa...

I am looking for an agent, many of the homes that I am interested in are listed by the same agent. Would this be a good start?

Asked by Mr. Lewis, Broad River, Fort Wayne, IN Tue Jun 21, 2011

Answers

7
In the event you use the listing agent to represent you, one thing is for sure. That agent will receive double the commission (in most cases). But when representing both sides, the buyer and seller will actually receive less representation and possibly in an uneven fashion. I believe you will be better off to hire your own agent.

There are cases where dual agency might work better for both the buyer and seller. For example, when representing both sides in a transaction between family members.
Mr. Lewis,

It is better for you to have an agent who is not liable to the seller of a home
in which you are interested. It is also better to work with an agent who has
worked extensively with buyers.

His or her attention will then be focused on you.

Kind Regards,

Marita Topmiller
Mr. Lewis,
You are free to choose any agent to work with. Do keep in mind that the listing broker of the company the homes are listed with has a fiduciary responsibility to each of those sellers. To have someone represent you and not the seller, you would need an agent who doesn't work for that broker representing you as your buyer's agent. I am a Broker running my own real estate company. My website is listed below. Feel free to take a look at it to see if I sound like the type of agent you'd like to have working for you. One very important consideration when choosing an agent is how well your personalities meshes. Good luck in your choice!
Darren Schortgen
Broker/Owner
Advanced Realty
260.385.7603
Consider interviewing in person a few local agents from different realty companies, then choose the one you like best, and go from there.
For you to have true buyer representation, it would be best to choose an agent who is not representing the sellers. Listing agents can and do represent both sides, however the advice that can be provided in terms of purchase price etc will be limited due to the agents knowledge of what the sellers have told him in confidence.

As Brian said, it does not cost you anymore to hire the services of a buyers agent.

Have a great day!
Hi Mr. Lewis!

Feel free to give our team a call at 260.704.082. We would love to help you with your home search. Hope to hear from you soon. :)

Jared
Hi Mr. Lewis,

There are a lot of good agents in our area. The listing agent may very well be one of them. The only thing to be aware of is that the listing agent has an obligation to represent the interests of the seller. That doesn't mean he or she can't help you too, but it might be a good idea to have your own representation. Since the seller normally pays brokerage fees in a transaction, it wouldn't cost you anything to have your own agent.

Hope that helps!

Brian Loney, owner/broker
Move in Motion - Modern Real Estate