Chanti, Home Buyer in 08854

I am looking for amy first home in piscataway NJ. Which is better Townhome or Single family.

Asked by Chanti, 08854 Wed Feb 22, 2012

Am planning to buy something for less than 250k as I do not plan to live in the home for more than 6 years. Can I expect a home with central ac, garage and basement for the price? Which is better for this scenario, a Townhome or a single family home?

Answers

10
You will get more for the money with a townhome and if you pick a single family home you will have a nice yard of your own but you do have to maintain that. May I send you the properties I have that match your criteria? I am in real estate for 19 years and lived in the area for 8 years. I am positive I have a home you may like to go see. Contact me at 732-996-1835 or my office at 732-203-1500. Thank you Melisa.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 22, 2012
Thank you everyone for the wise answers. I did find a place and it is a single family home. Thanks.

Chanti.
FOLKS...this question was asked in February 2012.....I will assume that the questioner has found a place to live by now......
There are plenty of nice starter homes on the market in Piscataway. I have personally toured several of them in the mid 200,000 price range. Many have multiple bedrooms, backyards, finished basements and in some cases inground pools. You can get a lot for your money in Piscataway. If you need assistance and are still looking please contact me at randycohen56@gmail.com.
I live in a townhouse in Piscataway and have lived here for over 10 years so I can definitely help you out with either, you may get more for your money with a townhouse and be free of outside maintenance, it's really a preference. Call me and I would love to help you out.

Lucy Phelan, Sales Associate
Keller Williams Elite Realtors
732-266-4157
xena@kw.com
http://www.lucyphelan.net
Chanti,

Since the lot is substantially smaller (or almost non existent), you can usually find a larger townhouse in better condition than a comparable single family house. Maintenance of a single family is typically more involved, but the monthly maintenance fees with home owner associations make the dollars more similar. Ullimately it comes down to individual preferences.

Feel free to contact me for more information. I don't make money for referrals, just my inspections.

Rafi Footerman
Mid Jersey Inspections
732-906-4100
NJ Home Inspector Lic. #076900
hi chanti
there is pro's and con 's to a townhouse or a home Owning a condo/town home relieves you have lawn maintenance and snow shoveling. in a single family home thats up to you to get it done or have someone do it for you no mater what way you go it is a big step
I would be glad to speak with you in more depth about your wants and needs and assist you in making the correct choice.
joseph leone broker/owner
rea agency realty
732-529-4466
Hi Chanti,

You can probably purchase either in that price range, although the garage and basement may be available in one or the other.

The type of property you want is determined by your specific needs. With a townhome, you are looking at community living. The exterior maintenance, snow and trash removal are handled by the Homeowners Association. In a single family home, you would be responsible for these things.

To help you determine what would best meet your needs, it would be beneficial for you to meet with a Realtor to assist with this decision. I would be more than happy to meet with you for a Buyer Consultation toward this end.

You may contact me, via cell phone, at 973-207-3121.

Dianne Scott Bey
Weichert Realtors
973-207-3121
I have been working as a Realtor in Piscataway since 1974 and have had my company on Stelton Road since 1979.
In all those years I have helped many buyers purchase both Town Homes, Condos, and single family homes.
It has been my personal experience that the single family home is a better overall purchase choice for most people.
There are many different housing needs which each of the types of homes can satisfy.
Your town homes and condos historically will be younger in age with association amenities like pools and club houses and joging paths and even larger overal room sizes.
For someone looking to not be tied down to a homes exterior required care and attention this might be the right choice however a single family home allows you the flexibility to do whatever you like inside and out to make the home and property your own.
It affords more privacy, land to garden or enjoy a BBQ , on, or practice improving your golf swing.

In terms of appreciation when we do experience that again in our market the single family home will with all things being considered appreciate more than your average condo and town home.
You should also be aware that you will probably not find a condo or town home for under $250K that will have a basement and garage however you could probably find a single family home that has the three mentiond items.
And finally you have more selection as to location with a single family home.
I normally offer all first time buyers the ability to sit down the first time we get together for a question and answer session at which time we also go over the complete buying experienc/process so that you are fully informed on everything that you will experience.
George Colavito, Broker/Owner
RE/MAX Home Pros
732 752-5500 Ext.11
georgecolavito@msn.com
Chanti,

It depends on many factors.
Once you decide to move if you are going to rent or sell the place? It's still easier to rent a town home than a SF home.
Owning a condo/town home relieves you of the duties of lawn maintenance and snow shoveling. Are you willing to do this in a single family home?
Can you live in a development where the houses are attached to each other?

That being said,do you want to just limit yourself to Piscataway? There are some condo/townhomes in Edison, Metuchen and South Plainfield in that price range. As for what's available in condo/townhomes in that range, there are numerous units available in those towns. Most that have a basement have no garage. A good portion of those are one level units.

Here's a link to what's available in North Edison, South Plainfield, Piscataway and Metuchen up to $260K (for wiggle room in price) starting from highest to lowest.

http://msx.mlxchange.com/DotNet/Pub/EmailView.aspx?r=1217022…

Hope this helps a bit