James Thomas, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

I am looking for a sub 620 first time homebuyer loan

Asked by James Thomas, Philadelphia, PA Tue Nov 8, 2011

Answers

8
Annette Levinson’s answer
James, you should be working on your credit before home shopping. A sub 620 FICO usually indicates that there is a problem with how you pay your bills. Go to your local non profit housing group for credit counseling. The counselor will go over your credit report with you and advise you what you are doing wrong and how to fix it. Your score not only determines your mortgage rate but whether you can get homeowners' insurance.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 8, 2011
Hi James. I work for Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. We go down to 600 scores with only 3.5% down. I also offer a program that is 2% down with NO MI. Ms. De La Cruz was incorrect to say that Wells Fargo goes down to 500 credit scores. I can be reached at (856) 343-7197 or email me at http://www.brett.hillman@wellsfargo.com or apply online http://www.wfhm.com/brett-hillman
NMLSRID:296261. I would be glad to assist you with a smooth, worry free professional mortgage expierience.
Today, so many people are searching for mortgage loans when they have low credit scores. The help they seek is artificial; it's also looking for a short-term solution to a long-term problem. There are NO shortcuts to success in anything, least of all a decent credit history.

I know these troubled economic times have blasted many people's finances; often this hits their credit histories hard, too. I know, too, of the American Dream of owning a home: I've been helping First Time Buyers for 22 years as a mortgage professional. I know how strong that desire to own can be, pushing some people, some of the time, to do anything to make the dream come true.

When I say "anything," I mean finding the short route to success. In the Sub-Prime BOOM, that "anything" included toxic loans with false income stated on loan applications, and consumers getting into housing payments they simply could never possibly afford. This was a sure recipe for disaster as we have all come to learn. I lived and worked through those "boom-times" and spoke with many potential homebuyers trying to take that short cut to homeownership. I got in trouble a lot with people because I advocated buying a home you could afford with a 30 year Fixed rate payment. Consumers, Realtors, and other mortgage professionals thought I was nuts and frequently told me so (although not in a kind way). Consumers wanted what they wanted---via the shortcut---and too many professionals in our industry were ready and willing to help them.

I'm seeing here on Trulia in the Q&A section a repeat of what I saw during the BOOM: consumers AND professionals trying to SHORTCUT their way to homeownership success. Have these people not learned anything from those terrible toxic mortgage loans?

First, to consumers who wish to buy a home and who have low credit scores seeking advice on "repairing credit," "rapid rescore," and "...any Lenders who accept LOW credit scores." Here's my advice to you:

The proper advice to a consumer with low credit scores who wishes to buy a home: IF YOUR CREDIT IS BAD YOU SHOULD NOT BORROW MONEY TO BUY A HOME. GET YOUR FINANCIAL HOUSE IN ORDER BEFORE YOU ASK A LENDER FOR A MORTGAGE. There are no shortcuts such as credit repair or finding that one mortgage Lender who accepts loans for "500" credit scores!

This idea of "who does mortgages for scores below 620" and credit repair is the SAME IDEA that got us into this mess in the first place: lending to people who are not qualified to repay the loan!!!

Next, my advice to industry professionals, Realtors and Mortgage Professionals alike who provide false hope to consumers with bad credt: You professionals are providing unethical advice!!! Listen, if someone's finances were devastated due to the financial downturn of recent times, then that person must recover sufficiently to take on the huge responsibility of paying a mortgage!

When you professionals make statements such as, "I know a Loan Officer/Lender who can approve an FHA loan with 580 credit scores," or, "Call this guy, he's great at credit repair," or, "A good Loan Officer will counsel his/her client on improving their credit scores," you are making the same mistake as professionals made during the boom.

Do you remember these famous statements from the BOOM years?

â—¦"Real estate always goes up?"
â—¦"Don't worry, you can refinance out of this (toxic) loan after a year because your home will be worth $65 million!"
â—¦"You can select the option payment that fits you best!"
â—¦"Don't worry, before your rate changes you can refinance to a fixed rate!"

Offering false hope to a consumer with bad credit is exactly the same thing! So cut it out!

I'm sorry if I sound rather obnoxious with my advice, but my polite approach doesn't seem to work when I answer these "bad credit" questions here on Trulia. Besides, I've already been down this road. When I blogged and participated in online forums and chats during the BOOM (Craigslist Housing forum, look me up: tcurranmortgage), I held the line on my opinion: buy a home you can afford with a 30 year fixed rate payment. I never waivered from that opinion and I won't waiver from this one today.

Dear frustrated consumers with bad credit: take your time to put your finances in order. Learn what a responsible HomeBuyer needs to qualify for and pay for a mortgage loan. Then work on those things---Income, Assets, and Credit---so you can make your dream come true the RIGHT WAY.

Trevor Curran
NMLS #40140.
Hi James. I have one. Call me, 856-575-1818.
Robert Greenblatt
Hi James

There are several lenders out there who should be able to help you.

Otherwise get in. Touch with the many fine Agents responding to your email.

Perry
James,

Give me a call at 609-417-1086. I work with a mortgage company that participates in a program with a credit restoration company. They work with buyers to help increase their credit score. It is NOT a debt consolidation or credit repair company because they work along side you to help with improving your credit score. Many other program out their will work with buyers with low scores but you end up paying a premium for a mortgage due to the low credit score. What you want to do is bring your score up so that you do not pay any additional fees or costs.
Web Reference: http://www.terryiwaniw.com
Hello James,
Thanks for your question.
Call William De La Torre at Wells Fargo Home Mortgage 856-562-2286. Wells Fargo has a program from 500 credit score and up.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Ines De La Cruz, Realtor, ABR
RE/MAX Connection
inesdelacruz@remax.net
Web Reference: http://www.inesdelacruz.com
Wow Ines I didn't know that the 500 credit programs were still around. I like working with Wells Fargo because they allow 600 FICO scores. I will definitely contact William and I will mention you and this program.
Flag Sat Jun 30, 2012
James,
FHA is an option. Most banks and mortgage brokers can make this available to you. You may need 10% down rather than the 3.5% FHA offers with better scores, but it would be an option.