Maddie, Other/Just Looking in Seattle, WA

I am looking for a property near the UW where I can live in and rent extra rooms to students. Any suggestions? Many thanks!

Asked by Maddie, Seattle, WA Thu Sep 15, 2011

Answers

13
There are a variety of homes near the UW that would enable you to do that. I have been working with a number of buyers seeking investment properties in the Greater Seattle area. My office is near the University Village, which is very close to the area you are looking at.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience and I can help you move forward with your search!

Thanks!

Adrian Chu
206.407.5452
Adrian@AdrianChu.net
Web Reference: http://www.adrianchu.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Call me and I will answer my phone. I am a full time Real Estate Agent and the office manager so you won't get my voice mail. I am in Seattle at least once a day 7 days a week so I would be happy to help you. Look forward to hearing from you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 17, 2011
Hello Maddie,
My wife and have lived in the University District for about 6 years now. I work for Coldwell Banker and she works at the UW. I have sold many homes in the area. There are several different set ups that would work for you depending on your budget and your objective. Being that I actually live in the area and walk the neighborhood on a daily basis, I would like to help you find the home that is right for you. It is hard to say if this is a single family home, a single family home with a second kitchen or separate living space, a rooming house or a multi-family property. I would love to help you out or at least have a chance to interview with you. Please email me at brent@coldwellbanker.com.
Brent Reid
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 17, 2011
Maddie,

As you can see there are quite a few real estate brokers available to answer your question! There are quite a few different types of properties from single family with rooms that you could rent out, to boarding houses with LOTS of rooms, to duplexes and other multi-family properties. One property type that is interesting and newer in our area are homes with an DADU...or Detached Accessory Dwelling Unit. It means that if the lot is large enough and the current home sits on just a portion of the lot...then you could build a little detached home! I have a few clients doing that and it provides them with an additional source of income...but their tenants have their own place. I have see 2 of them recently in the North Ravenna area. One is a great home a little north of 65th with a 600 to 700 square foot DADU in the back! You could also build one yourself...I have a client doing that right now and it is costing her $60k for an 800 sq foot DADU.

So...you...have options...many many options.

If you would like to chat more just drop me a line at http://www.deniseseavittpropertyexpert.com

Denise Seavitt
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Have you done any looking around yet? You could see some of what's out there by browsing in zip code 98105. Some good sites for buyers are redfin.com and johnlscott.com (as well as my site patrickberinger.com).

I don't work for redfin or john l scott but they have excellent buyer websites
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
A lot depends on the price range you're looking in. It's pretty common to rent out rooms in this area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Hello Maddie,

I would recommend getting into contact with Benis Dawkins at Windermere Commencement Real Estate Dream Team Homes and Land Real Estate 206-883-4222. He specializes in short sales and REO homes. As well as the greater seattle area. I have many clients who have referred me to their friends and family for buying and selling and they all gave great reviews. Make sure the agent you work with. Is CDPE certified as this is essential in knowing the current market conditions. I also specialize in duplex/4plex for the intent to produce positive cash flow. Here is the website: http://www.Windermere.com/Benis
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
That is a fairly easy goal for you to achieve, Maddie. In fact if you were looking for a home that didn't lend itself to renting extra rooms in "The U-District", that would be harder to accomplish.

You will find that many of the available homes fit that description to a T if you are looking at homes close to the University. Many are already set up that way...some better than others. Most all fit that objective.

The only hitch is if you are hoping to count those rented out rooms as income to qualify to buy it. Generally you can't. There may be some exceptions, but lenders have gotten stricter in counting rent as part of the income to qualify. But if you qualify for the purchase price without that extra rental income, very doable. Not difficult at all.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
I typically recommend using at least 2, if not 3 websites to search for property. Though Trulia and Zillow are great sites for a number of reasons, their listings are not always up to date. They are not members of the NWMLS. One of the local Real Estate companies that is a member of the NWMLS will have more accurate listings. It really doesn't matter which one; it depends on which you find easier to use.

You'll find any number of local agents who will be willing to set up a search for you directly on the NWMLS. One advantage to this is that you can receive the status changes on any of the listings that appear. You will know when they go Pending or are Sold. An other advantage is that these searches will return information t you more quickly than the broker sites. It is the source.

You'll see from my website that I live in the U District and have for over 40 years.
Prior to my career in real estate I spent 35 years in construction management.
This background should give you a lot of support for purchasing property in this neighborhood.
Please feel free to call or email me; I'd like to be part of your interviewing and research process.
Web Reference: http://www.nwhome.us
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Hi Maddie!

The UW area is great but I feel like a lot of people over look surrounding areas. It really depends on your budget and what kind of home. My suggestion is to interview a few agents see who you feel a connection with. I would love to take you out one day show you a few houses and see if I'm the right fit for you.
I live close to the U-district and know the area very well.
I am a Realtor with Coldwell Banker Bain.
Best wishes,

Saviya Rowland
206-334-8348
saviyarowland@cbbain.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Hi Maddie,
You definitely will get many responses. I would suggest you talk to the agents who are responding and see if you can find one that you mesh well with. I bet there are options in the UW area, so it sort of depends on your budget and how much you can get back onthe spaces you rent out. Close to UW is a wonderful location and having lived around there myself I may be able to show you some options that would get you the best return on investment. I would be happy to talk to you and see if we mesh.
Great Luck and I hope you find what you are looking for!
Feel free to can contact me here with questions. I'm on FB too!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
The University area can be very good for the rental idea you have, but you need to be very care in your purchsse and location or you could make an expensive mistake. As a local resident and 25 years of full time experience in the area, I know I can hlep you make a good decision.

If you send me a email address I will send you a list of possible properties for you to drive by.

Jerry Wabey
jwabey@sellingseattle.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 15, 2011
Maddie, You will get a bunch of responses like the one from Adrian here on Trulia. Most of us are pretty good agents & can do the job for you quite well. I would suggest, that as a buyer, you Google every agent that responds to your question here on Trulia, learn as much as you can about who they are online, read their client testimonials, so you know what their clients are saying about them, and then give us each a call and just ask us why we think you should work with us instead of another agent. This will take you a little while to do, but will be time well spent, as choosing the right agent is the first step towards choosing the right home. Then, pick the best fit for you and let them go to work for you with the skill and knowledge that they have. I hope to hear from you soon.