Craig Miramb…, Real Estate Pro in Metairie, LA

I am looking for a place on the Jordan River!

Asked by Craig Mirambell Jr, Metairie, LA Tue Jun 10, 2008

What can i expect to pay for a lot on an inlet?
What are the height requirments (elevation) to renovate a flooded home?
Any advice on what side is nicer for a weekend getaway camp?

Answers

5
Lsutigernmiss’ answer
Only proble with major renovations is the "grandfather" time has passed...so you would need to elevate most places.......SOUTH OF I-10 for sure...so new building would be my suggestion.

Another was is a current owner they got an "COO" certificate of occupancy and maintened the flood insurance...and then the flood insurance is "transferable".......to you.

Otherwise it must meet new BFE (base flood elevations) which as best as I can tell vary a great deal ....by the local entity (county, and or different cities have their own) ...so a place across the bay could have a different requirement (i.e. Pass Christain, vrs Bay St Louis vrs Hancock Count)
The answer to your question is location, location, location. Jordan River is a big area, kinda. Up above 7-8 miles from I-10 to the North is Jordon River Shores, a nice subdivision with nice houses, on the main river, though a bit narrow for me. Below I-10 is Shoreline park ---which is like saying New Orleans.....there are good areas, better areas and not so good. Do you want on the main river? or how far off the River? Riverview is a REAL nice area ......and is lumped into Shoreline park.....some houses $300K plus. Lots in the area 50x100 are $35k+ depending on your "putput time to the main river" a KEY factor...BIG TIME KEY FACTOR! Building now is has to be 23 foot above MHT (mean high tide). RiverView, Jordon River SHores and the area around ELAINE street are real nice (not sure of neighbor hood name). Other areas you can get a lot for $1000 but not as nice of neighborhood, less subdivison restrictions. Just depends on what you are looking for. South of I-10 the RIVER is WIDe and opens to the Bay. ALso SOuth of I-10 they are trying to permit a CONDO development (1600 condo's) so should really pick up the property values. Just depends on your "wants" and the amount of money you want to spend. Insurance is available through a number of companies.....Hope this helps....
still looking...................
Hey Amy, thanks for the reply. I am looking to renovate and keep for myself, which brings me to another question, is there any type of weekly renmtal market for these properties? I think we would actually rather one that we could renovate and not have to raise.

craigyjr@cox.net

What area is most desired for the Jordan River, we went and looked at some near the Bay itself, but i have heard others have plaes in Kiln.
Are you looking to flip or is this renovation for your personal use that you will keep for a few years? What size lot are you looking for?
18 ft above sea level is the FEMA reg. now. Some existing homes are grandfathered in if the damage is less than 50%, which means the house would not need to be raised.

I'll email you more details, other comps, etc...send me your address: amyweaver.realtor@yahoo.com
Thanks Craig!
Amy