Home Buying in Charlotte>Question Details

Bigmammy, Home Seller in Charlotte, NC

I am looking for a large house on land..about 30 minutes to downtown. Is there a rural area with good schools that is not to far out from downtown.?

Asked by Bigmammy, Charlotte, NC Mon Jan 24, 2011

Priced under 400K?
rural but not to far away from downtown and shopping (Target and grocery stores)

Answers

13
I know of a listing that is coming up very soon that will suit your need perfectly! The house is about 30 minutes from downtown in the Steele Creek area. 2 story and a basement. Plenty of room to suit your 5 kids. 3 bedroom upstairs, main floor master suites and a theatre room and a rec room in the basement with a total of 3800 sq ft house . This is a great subdivision and only minutes to Target and Rivergate shopping area. It sits on 1.7 acres and and secluded. The Royal Oaks subdivision is a great area. HOA is very low, $175 a year! This is actually my own residence so if interested please call me and I can send pictures. We are currently updating with new paint so it is not in the market yet. It is a rare find to get a large land, a large house and a great neighbor within 30 minutes of downtown. You will not be disappointed.

Hope to hear from you,

Lavanh Schefers
Wilkinson and Associates
lavanh@schefers.net
704-214-0822
The Wesley Chapel, Weddington area is a great option. I have lived out here for 12 years after relocating from the suburbs of NY. My children have attended elementary, middle and high schools in this area. The shopping is great and the location is great for commuting into Charlotte yet it has a great country feel. I would love to give you a tour of the area when you come to town so you can see if the area works for you. Then assist you in finding a home that fits your needs which won't be hard in this area. I hope to hear from you and good luck with your move!
Thanks for letting me know how many children you have and your square feet requirements. I have found 6 homes which might suit your needs. However, I think the home in Matthews might be just about perfect! It is on Tree Hill Road with Weddington/Wesley Chapel schools. These are good schools!

Click on the link below and please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing from you!

http://tiny.cc/twoplusacres

Lynn

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give...Winston Churchill

Lynn Johnson
Realtor/Broker, e-Pro,ABR
Licensed NC/SC
Director, NCAR
http://www.LynnJohnsonRealtor.com
http://www.BallantyneBuzz.com
We are looking for 2 acres and at least 3200sf. We have 5 kids :)
I agree with Kathleen, it will not hard to find a home, realizing the continued growth in certain areas. I recommend the Denver area up highway 16. It is still growing and convenient to shopping. You need to define a large home… how many square feet are we talking? Is 2 acres enough? or are you looking for more?

Kindest Regards,

Jeff Monfils
Director North Carolina Operations
BIC / CFA / CSSA
Bastille Real Estate
Foreclosure Avoidance Consultants
3611 Mt Holly-Huntersville RD Ste 204-310
Charlotte NC 28216
704.975.7616 | 888.807.4848 ext. 505 | Fax 866.662.3929
Hi Bigmammy - How exciting to be looking for a a big home on a nice piece of land far from the madding crowd! You will not have any trouble at all finding acerage & a nice home for under $400k. You will not have too much trouble finding one close to shopping either - targets are popping up everywhere! The problem you will have is finding your dream home in a location only 30 mins from Downtown. I grew up here in Charlotte and the change in the size of the City and the amount of traffic is mind-boggling! I live in the SouthPark area and it can take me 30 minutes to get Downtown because the traffic can be so bad getting through SouthPark! Your best bets to limit your commute to something you can tolerate will be up HWY 16 into Lincoln County and possibly southwest Cabarrus County. Both areas are growing like mad, though, and with the growth, you guessed it, more traffic! If you have an opportunity, take a drive up 16 during 5 o'clock traffic; do the same into Cabarrus. See if either drive makes sense to you. Once you have decided on a location - get an experienced realtor that specializes in that area. He or she will not only know the properties that are currently available, but will also know of ones that are not yet listed that could suit you and your family well. Best success! Kathleen Turner
It is going to be tough to find a home up to $400,000 with land AND a good school system within 30 minutes of Uptown Charlotte unless you are driving during non-peak hours. I did find a home in York county which looks nice: http://lynnjohnson.localhomesearch.net/idx/property/900_Silv…

Check it out and let me know if you would like to do a more in-depth search for you.

Lynn
I know of a listing 30 to 45 minutes from downtown in Union County, 3500 square feet on almost 10 acres. Give me a call 704-254-8731.
Bigmammy,

All of the responses so far are helpful, the only county that is left out is Lincoln county. The great thing about living in Lincoln county is that there is plenty of available land at affordable prices, Hwy 16 takes you into downtown Charlotte easily, schools are good, and air quality is good. Definitely more rural in attitude and lifestyle!
I would suggest York County, South Carolina. Taxes are lower than Union County, NC and much, much lower than Mecklenburg County. The schools in Fort Mill or Clover are high quality and very stable. Also, Northern York County will meet your 30 criteria. This area has beautiful land and is very close to Lake Wylie, if you like water related recreation. Shopping is close, both grocery and Target, as well as Lowe's home improvement store. I think you will find York County a better option. At the very least you should take a look and compare.

Thank you and give me a call. We would love to help you.

Dallas Jamison
CD Realty
dallas@cdrealty.com
704-752-1818
Web Reference: http://www.cdrealty.com
BigMammy,

Check out the Steele Creek area plenty of of open space. River Gate shopping center super Target, super Wal Mart not far at Lake Wylie or at Arsley. Easy acess to uptown on Rt 77 or from S Tryon. You can buy in nearby South Carolina save a ton in taxes and insurance costs.

Selling a home before you buy see below with what my family did recently in this market. We moved from Matthews to the Steele Creek area.

We put our home on the market last June it was in super excellent condition freshly painted in & out landscape top notch model home ready. We priced it a little below the market price based on an apprasial and 2 agent comps. Listed the home in the MLS made it easy for agents to show had 12 showings in 9 days. Signed a contract on the 10th day and closed 25 days later. Price came in less than what we wanted we spent money to get it ready and that was OK because I knew we could make it up when we bought.

On the Buying side we searched every "short sale" & "foreclosure" in our area in price ranges twice as much as we could afford. The idea was to negoiate the price down to what we were motgage approved to buy. After 2 weeks we had a bank approval on a short sale where the bank took $325,000 less than what was owed on the house. The apprasial came in even $100,000 higher. We got a big deal on a move-in ready lake front new construction home with all the bells&whistles.

Best of Luck...

Bill Carey, Broker/Realtor
Certified Short Sale Specialists
Cell 704-905-0740
Fax 866-343-5945
Bill.Carey@HendersonProperties.com
http://www.HendersonHomesCharlotte.com
South Concord, Harrisburg sounds more what your looking for, taxes are much lower than Mecklenburg county as well as many people prefer the school system in Cabarrus. It will no be an easy task tofind that perfect home. Feel free tog ive me a call or send me an email with your info and I can do a search and email you everything I can find that fits yor needs. We also are experienced in foreclosures so, we may find you a home at a Great Buy!!
Lisa Revis
Southern Charm Realty Inc
sold28117@yahoo.com
704-746-6411
Web Reference: http://www.charmagents.com
It sounds like there are a lot of options that might be iof interest. For example, Cabarrus County (Concord, Kannapolis, etc) might be viable and yet the property taxes are nearly 1/2 of Charlotte's Mecklenburg County. I'd welcome the opportunity to assist you with your search. Feel free to search all the homes on the MLS at http://www.SearchNCNow.com or send to me your search criterion and I'll get the search started.

Bill Ahls, Broker/Owner
NHB Group, Inc.
704-780-0654