smajid, Home Buyer in Edison, NJ

I am looking for a house in Middlesex county, NJ. The current owner has made improvements in a house i liked without permits.

Asked by smajid, Edison, NJ Thu Jan 30, 2014

Now if i keep those improvements, the property taxes would rise. Secondly and frankly, I dont want to keep those changes, then I will have to demolish those changes at the time of inspection. So is it a good deal to go ahead with such a case or should i drop it? The house falls in my budget and matches my taste. But i am confused in starting off wrong!

Answers

16
Hello Majid.

Likely hood of property taxes going up is on the township regulations. You must inquire within the township regarding the improvements and the amount of potential cost increase in property taxes.
If you really did not like the improvements and would like to re-do the improvements, you must factor in the budget for the changes. It ultimately depends on what you really want to do.

Also, you cannot make any changes to the house prior to the closing.

We can only provide you with options, you have to make a decision.

I hope this helps !!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 31, 2014
Too many variables here. How do you know there's no permits? Depending on how extensive the improvements the taxes MAY not go up even with the permits in place. At time of inspection if there are no permits and the improvements needed them, the SELLER, not you, is responsible to obtain those permits in order to get the CO. As a buyer it's really up to you and/or your real estate agent to do your due diligence to find out from town hall how these improvements will affect taxes and if in fact they were done without permits.
PERSONALLY, and not not as a real estate agent, if the house has improvements you don't want or like maybe the house doesn't really meet your tastes, even if it's in your budget?.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 30, 2014

Let us know your decision. It might help others !!

Thank you.
Vishal.
what is the community .
are school near by/
why because I'm seek work ,don't have any small children
are their train system near/buses
Consider our Buyers Rebate program earning you up to 2% cash back rebate at closing! Surely great saving to spend on your future house updates.
No permits=get a home inspection BEFORE you close as you may run into alot more than your budget.
Peter W. Bennett, Owner
http://www.AFullHouseInspection.com
Residential & Commercial Building Inspections
Infrared Thermal Imaging Services
Aerial & On-Roof Surveys of Moisture - ASTM C1153
Forensic Moisture Inspections and Leak Detection - ASTM E1105
Thermographic Survey of Insulation Faults - ASTM C1060
530 Prospect Avenue Ste. # 3 Little Silver, NJ 07739
Office 732-758-9887 Cell 732-245-9817
NJ Home Inspector Lic#GI371
NJ DEP Radon MET11140
Certified Level II Infrared Thermographer No.7406
Certified Energy Inspector No. 1364
Certified ASHI Member #205748
Certified Member of INACHI
Visit Us on Facebook
Authorized United Infrared Contractor
NJInfrared.com - On Roof and Aerial Roof Surveys of Moisture
Dear Smajid,
As previously mentioned: if you are not workign with a Realtor, please reach out to us so we can answer any other questions you may have in private by phone or email. We are very familar with the Edison area. Some of our team members lived in Edison and some still do. We can be reached at (908) 912-5295 or via email at Toni@MorettiTeam.com. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Sorry for typos in previous post. It was sent from my phone.
Smajid

glad you were able to utilize information you received on this form. However I am still curious as to why you decided not to buy the house just based on the permit issue. It is the owners responsibility to obtain the final permits for the CCO otherwise they cannot sell their home.
where the owners unwilling to do the necessary things to obtain the final permit? Or was it just going to take too much time?
please let us know what made you make that decision... And if you're still looking in Middlesex County and don't have a reator, that's my specialty area, especially Edison. I'd love to talk to you.
Thanks.... We left the deal for that house due to lack of permits and Dinesh you are absolutely right about CCO...... Thanks everybody again for ur time and valuable advice! Hats off to trulia forums for bringing us together!
Hi Majid

Selling Price of the house is with the present condition, whether improvements are with permit or without permit.
In the Edison township when you apply for CCO Inspector will look into and if they find the improvement is done without permit, they will not issue CCO.
Ultimately you have to decide what are you looking for.
Please contact me either on my cell # 732 547 3754 or email dineshdadia@yahoo.com for further in detail discussion
Dear Smajid,
I apoligize for taking so long to respond as I was away for a few days. Again, if you are not workign with a Realtor, please reach out to us so we can answer any other questions you may have in private by phone or email. We are very familar with the Edison area. Some of our team members lived in Edison and some still do. We can be reached at (908) 912-5295 or via email at Toni@MorettiTeam.com. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Thanks Moretti team for another confirmation and reiteration of my previous posts :)
Smajid,
Thank you for posting your question on Trulia. There are many variables with regard to this question. We are assuming you have a Realtor and Attorney working on your behalf. If you are working with a "for sale by owner", please check out what type of permits were needed. With regard to the rise in taxes, much depends on what type of improvements were made. Just to reiterate, if you are working with a Realtor and an Attorney, please pose this question to them as they are working with and for you. In the event you are not working wtih a Realtor, please feel free to reach out to the MorettiTeam. We are very familar with the Edison area. Some of our team members lived in Edison and some still do. We can be reached at (908) 912-5295 or via email at Toni@MorettiTeam.com. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Just to add to my answer ( and thanks to the other agents for backing up my statements), if you are already working with an agent and an attorney, they really should be the two people you ask this question first. They are the two people working on you behalf in this matter.
Second if you aren't working with an agent, no need to get a referral from another agent. I have lived in Edison since 1983, and know this town as well , if not better than, anyone. Check my profile.
I am really curious as to the improvements made that could be so extensive that you would think it would significantly increase the taxes, and what they are that they are something you don't want/need? Is been my experience with buyers that it's preferable to have upgrades already present in a home they purchase as opposed to to having to budget for doing them later down the road at their own expense.
Frankly, and I will probably catch heck for this, I can't imagine an agent being okay with you purchasing a particular home if you have such reservations about it unless it's you who wants to move ahead solely because of the price.
I'm not sure why it is you like this house- it sounds as if there's more wrong with it than right, only because you discuss only the drawbacks. Would demolishing the changes make it the "perfect" home for you? First you or your agent needs to check with the town as to what they would accept regarding the changes that don't have permits. You cannot demolish those changes at inspection as you don't yet own the house. You can only remediate/resolve those issues after you take ownership. You/your agent should inform the appraiser of the work that will be changed due to no permits.

I work with an excellent agent in the Edison/Highland Park area who knows the ins and out of that area and can help you. Let me know if you want her name and contact information. You might want to at least speak with her before you move forward.
Wishing you the best,
Leni
TeamHelene@KW.com
973-876-8741