Marty, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I am looking for a home in SE Denver, CO. What are some up and coming areas for appreciation in that area?

Asked by Marty, San Francisco, CA Thu Apr 10, 2008

Hi Marty - you've gotten quite a response. I know these a generally brief answers trying to grab your business, but I'd have to pose a questions back to you. How familiar are you with our fair city? Denver is a large place, and some of the other recommendations are really great, however it really depends on your price point and what exactly you mean by "SE Denver". Like most cities, Denver has a Core Area that is truly "Denver" then it has dozens of outlying regions that fall into the "Denver Metro" area. For each, the answer to your question is dramatically different. With a little more information, I'm sure any of the brokers on this site could probably help answer your questions. Personally, I specialize in the outlying suburbs areas rather than the Core area, though my business does take me there from time to time. If you reply to any of these posts I'm sure I or one of my colleagues can really narrow down the search for you in to a few top neighborhood picks. Feel free to contact me directly via email or phone. Thanks so much for posting, good luck in your home search. ~Jon
Hi Marty, I live in U Hills and I love it. I bought a home in 2000, gutted it, and have loved living in U Hills and my home, ever since. Let me know if I can help you with any questions you might have. I am an EcoBroker (Realtor with a green emphasis) and would love to help you! I have so much information that I could share with you! Sincerely, TIffany Lees 720-260-8241

I don't know if you've seen this month's 5280 Magazine, but there is a great article on Denver real estate. In particular there was a section about up-and-comers. They specifically mention University Hills and Wellshire.

If you are still looking for a real estate professional, I would love the opportunity to earn your business. I offer an excellent MLS search tool to all my buyers which I think you will find useful (everyone else does!).

The best feature is the ability to search by map, so you can pull up all the homes for sale in SE Denver in your price range.

Give me a call so we can discuss your needs in detail.

John Keene, EcoBroker
Keller Williams
* call today to learn how you can live carbon free for 3-years!
I like Eisenhower Park, Observatory Park, Bonnie Brea and Welshire, but there are others as well.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 10, 2008
Hi Marty -

Depending on your price range and needs/wants, I know of several good options for you. Do you want a true "up-and-coming" neighborhood or just one that will help you realize a good return on your investment. There are good prospects in both categories.

For "up-and-coming", many people like west Washington Park and Baker due to the transitioning of Broadway near these areas. Some people like Whittier and City Park due to the proximity to the park and Uptown. I like the area between Sloan's Lake and the Highlands. I also like the area between Park Hill and Stapleton. If you are just looking for a good investment, there are many SE or central Denver neighborhoods that offer solid options.

The best bet is to take a trip out here and have an experienced agent drive you through the "up-and-coming" and "best" neighborhoods. This will give you the perspective you need to focus your search.

If you really want the most out of appreciation you should stay within 1 mile of lightrail stations. There are several neighborhoods that are affordable, established schools and large lots for additions or scraping.
I am not sure if this is for investment or personal but with the current economy and gas prices soaring being close to mass transit gives you the most bang for your buck.
Here are some links regarding schools and shopping in the area:

Cherry Creek Schools:
Coyote Hills Elementary
Liberty Middle School
Cherokee Trail High School

And about the shopping:

Don't know what you are looking for but we have a Toll Brothers house for sale in Tallyn's Reach (smokey hill and E470)

mls 625160

25262 E. Glasgow Pl.
Aurora, CO 80016

Give me a call if you have any questions, I am the home owner: Eric 480-600-0587
Its also on craigs list.
Southeast Denver has several areas for good buys - As others have answered, Cherry Creek, Wash Park, Bonnie Brae, etc. have great homes - several with updates and remodels. It really depends on your wants and needs, as well as your price point. Once you share those with me, I can automatically e-mail you homes that meet your criteria, as well as send you new listings as they come on the market. Let me know if I can help! - RE/MAX Alliance
Marty: There are many areas-- in Denver SE holding value. Washington Park, Bonnie Brae.
For a Market Snapshot with this statistics: Click on Market Snapshot.
Your list will be delivered in minutes.
I am not a real estate agent but I would think one would need a few more details about you, (likes/dislikes) needs & goals to present you with answer that would actually be useful.

So far all we have is something like, "I will work in San Fransisco, where should I live. "

If you would like some referrals to an agent, I would be happy to help.

Hi Marty,

I do a lot of work in Southeast Denver. In the last few weeks I’ve spent a lot of time in Wash Park, Cherry Creek, Congress Park, Bonnie Brae, Hilltop, Mayfair and Lowry to name a few. I’ll be happy to share with you what I’ve learned about the various offerings. Appreciation and prices in these neighborhoods have a huge range. What price range are you considering?

By the way, I've have a custom map showing the homes for sale in SE Denver. Take a look at: for a Google mash up of the homes and where they are relative to schools, parks, work, etc! There are also a wealth of resources within the "Tools" tab for each home.

When you see a property you like, or have any questions about, just give me a call and I’ll answer your questions and help you get started.

Bob Maiocco
Broker Associate
The Maiocco Team, Inc.
Keller Williams
(720)273-4262 direct
Hi Marty,

In my opinion, Highlands Ranch and Castle Pines North are fantastic areas to buy and hold property. Highlands Ranch is still seeing new builds in the BackCountry, where there are some great deals to be had, and Castle Pines North will continue to appreciate as plans for a reservoir on the east side of the freeway should help to add to the community appeal and home prices. If you're looking for a Realtor who knows the area very well, I have some good contacts, and I'd be happy to pass your name along. Just e-mail me at and I'll get you their information.

Take care,

Ben Edgson