Home Buying in 11215>Question Details

Carla, Both Buyer and Seller in Vaughn, MT

I am looking for a fixer upper in Park Slope, can you tell me where to begin my search.

Asked by Carla, Vaughn, MT Tue May 13, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:


Dana Lindberg’s answer
You can search the local listings or contact a local broker.

Buy a fixer-upper, as is, or a foreclosure with FHA 203k loan and turn it into your dream home. For more details about 203k loan, visit http://www.cfs203k.com. CFS Mortgage and RenovationReady brings together more than 50 years of traditional and renovation lending know-how.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 26, 2013
Hi Carla, It really depends on what you are looking for. If it's an apartment, scour the web constantly, especially Trulia, Street Easy, and the NY Times on the web. If you are looking for a townhouse and you live in the area, have a drive around the neighborhood and you'll see a number of "fixer uppers." If you want to really save yourself some time, keep in touch with a good agent and let them find it for you.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 31, 2008
Dear Carla,

First steps:

1. Meet with a Local Mortgage Banker to get prequalified for mortgage financing. The Mortgage Banker will review all facets of your loan request to answer your questions with regards to the types of loans and maximum loan amounts you could qualify for.

2. Get a referral to a good, local, real estate attorney. Call the attorney, retain the attorney so you have her information handy when you make an offer. Having that information at time of offer helps you demonstrate to the Seller how serious you are, and they will consider your offer with more interest.

3. Line up a Home Inspector. A good home inspector will scare the heck out of you: that's what you pay him for! But you'll concentrate on the fundamentals of the property: roof free of leaks, plumbing, heating and electrical up to code and in good working order. Again, when you make an offer and you have your Home Inspector ready to go, your offer will be considered with much more interest by a Seller because you truly have your "ducks in a row" and your preparation demonstrates your serious attitude about conducting the purchase transaction in a timely manner.

4. Find an experienced Local Realtor who works in your desired shopping area. A serious pro Realtor will refuse to show you homes until you are Prequalified for mortgage financing. Don't take offense! That Realtor doesn't want you to be disappointed and wants you to have a smooth experience as you shop for your new home. Price, and exactly HOW much of a "fixer-upper" you want, will be important factors.

Put together your Team of real estate professionals and shop 'til you drop!

Good luck!
Trevor Curran
NMLS #40140
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 19, 2012
Hello Carla.

I see you barely received any replies, shame on everyone :).

I can help you Carla, if you work with me here. Before we go on, maybe you could tell me if you have a time frame by which you would need to find a new home. Do you know where in park slope you would like to live and what did you want to fix up. Are you in search of a condo, a brownstone, a coop, how much, how large and how much fixing did you want to do to it, a full gut renovation or just cosmetics?

Looking forward to having this discussion.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 30, 2008
Hi ,
I specialize in Brooklyn.
And I have one fixer upper on 22 nd str bte 4 and 5th ave.
Call or email me at ella@themachreegroup.com
Cell: 203.906.8133
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 18, 2009
I have several fixer uppers--both townhouses & condos, all in Park Slope.

Call me at 917-748-4810.


Harvey Heit, Lic. Re. Broker
Web Reference: http://hheitrlty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 10, 2009
You need an agent with access to the multiple listing system who knows the area well. I live in the Slope. Most of the fixer-uppers are in the South Slope. There are other surrounding neighborhoods that are also charming brownstone neighborhoods where prices are a little less. If you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
contact your local real estate broker. i sugest that you contact FILLMORE R.E. AT FILLMORE.COM
Web Reference: http://WWW.FILLMORE.COM
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 14, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer