Home Buying in Eugene>Question Details

Fitnessfemme, Home Buyer in Park Ridge, IL

I am looking at relocating from Portland to Eugene to finish school at UO.

Asked by Fitnessfemme, Park Ridge, IL Thu May 31, 2012

I am slightly familiar with the city, but am wondering if anyone can tell me which areas to focus on as well as avoid. I have a daughter who will be in school this fall, and am a single mom. Looking for a 3/2 with garage, sidewalks, safe neighborhood, proximity to schools if possible, minimum 1650 sq feet.

Answers

9
In your situation I would say it would be best to look at houses that are really close to the elementary school for your daughter coupled with an easy bus route (or bike ride) to the UO. There really are a lot of choices. It would be fun to just plan a day trip down here. Contact a local agent here, like myself, and plan at looking at different areas and houses. I see that the 4j website was already suggested and that is great. I would also suggest that you look into Springfield school for her as well http://www.sps.lane.edu/. If you pick the right neighborhood some areas of Springfield are very close to the UO and prices can be a little less.
Feel free to shoot me an email. darren@windermere.com
Do you have a realtor in Portland? I have a friend I can refer you to who is awesome. Email me if you want some help with that -- barb@windermere.com.
I'm looking to purchase. I will have cash at time of sale, but based on my current home/property estimated value, I'll have a top budget of about $230k. I'd like to keep cost down as much as possible, but I also know the market fluctuates.

My daughter will be in kindergarten for the 2012-2013 school year. I would like to test her into gifted/advanced programs after kindergarten and am interested in schools that offer this option.

Commute doesn't worry be too much. I may want to limit it to about 20 minutes, if I can.

Thank you all so much for the advice. I am looking to list my current property in 2-4 months, so there is potential for a mid-year elementary school transfer as well.

Cheers!
Depending on how much you have to spend obviously affects location. There are some very nice areas south of the school and south east and southwest of the school. Also, across the river (north) is very nice with sidewalks and close to shopping. There are many areas to pick from here!! 4J school district, but there's quite a variety here. Prices are also reasonable in town! I'd be happy to help if you have further questions.
Are you looking for a purchase or a rental? There are several nice areas near the UofO, but knowing your budget for a rental or purchase would make a considerable difference in what I would recomend for you. In addition, knowing what grade your daughter is in would allow me to focus on neighborhoods offering the best rated schools at her particular grade level. I have worked with a lot of people moving to the area, which has been a comfort zone for me, as I have only been here for a few years myself, so the process of learning my way around is still fresh in my mind. Please feel free to give me a call if there is anything I can do to assist you in your relocation. Donna Whitman, 541-505-4547.
Hi FF,
I'd start with looking into schools if I were you. How old is your daughter and what grade will she be in? Here's a link to the 4J school district map: http://www.4j.lane.edu/maps - it shows you where the schools are and the boundaries for each one. It also depends on how much you want to spend on a house -- the area around UO has the schools with some of the highest 4J test scores historically. But that area also has the highest price per square footage of house. For proximity to UO, I'd concentrate on the SE area of Eugene first -- there are generally more affordable houses above E. 24th to E. 30th between Alder and Agate. More expensive ones between E. 24th and E. 19th between Alder and Agate. You can walk to schools, both UO and the 4J schools, from that area. Another alternative is the close-in SW area -- Willamette to Chambers, W. 19th to W. 28th -ish. Still good schools, still kinda close to UO, you could bike but probably wouldn't walk to UO. There are a lot of "safe" neighborhoods, so there are also other areas you could look that would be a farther commute to UO but still have good schools. Eugene has excellent bike paths, so if you're into bike commuting to UO then you have even more options. Eugene public schools are a lot different from Portland ones -- I grew up in pdx and still have a lot of friends with kids there, so I've heard a lot about them. Eugene also has public alternative schools -- so you should look into those as well. My daughter went to an alternative school for K-5 then Roosevelt Middle School and then South Eugene High, but the alternative International High School program. You can even transfer from one boundary area into an alternative school in another boundary area -- but you wouldn't be walking to school that way.
I'm happy to help if you want more help - call my cell 541-554-8233 or email me at barb@windermere.com.
BB
There are a lot of great neighborhoods around Eugene. Home prices can also vary in the different areas. I think once you start actively looking for your new home you will get a feel for the area you want to be in and is best suited for your needs. School information is available online, as well as crime reports. If you have not already done so, find a local realtor in Eugene you feel comfortable working with and begin the process. Best to you!
That a big question to answer on a web post. The easiest solution is to meet with a local agent that has all of that information at his or her finger tips. You would have a chance to ask your questions and look at some listings to get a sense of the market, but more importantly, you could see if you are comfortable working with this agent.
Web Reference: Http://randyjeremiah.com
I wouldn’t say that there are areas to avoid at all in the Eugene/Springfield area. The house’s proximity to the UO will effect it’s price, but there are many neighborhoods that have easy access to the UO. How close to the UO did you hope to be? My brother-in-law takes a bus to the UO everyday down Coburg Rd. and says it is an easy bus ride.
I am very familiar with the Eugene/Springfield area, having lived here most of my life. I actually graduated from the UO. I would be more than happy to email you some different options to narrow down your search areas.

Darren Ricketts, Broker
Windermere Real Estate/Lane County
1600 Oak Street, Eugene OR 97401
541-484-2022