kbarnick, Home Buyer in Milwaukee, WI

I am looking at purchasing a duplex and am unsure of the laws regarding the current tenants.

Asked by kbarnick, Milwaukee, WI Sun Apr 28, 2013

I am planning on occupying one unit, and renting out the other. If both units are rented out do I have to give the current tenants 30 or 60 days after the closing date to move on? (assuming their lease is month to month) Is there anyway we can make one of the units vacancies on a certain day part of the negotiations? If we keep one of the tenants I am assuming we can write up a new lease when we take ownership of the property?
Thanks.

Answers

3
Hello - attached is a link to Wisconsin landlord-tenant law from Wisconsin.gov..you may have to copy and paste the link (Landlord-Tenant Guide, 75 pages):

datcp.wi.gov/Consumer/Wisconsin_Way/index.aspx

Even as a new owner, you must abide by the current rental situation. If tenant is month to month, you must check with current owner whether 30 or 60 day notice is agreed upon (if it's more than 30 days, it should be in writing) and then you can give notice of anything you want to change by whatever terms had been agreed upon. If it is a long-term lease, tenant is protected until expiration (but I've heard of buyers and sellers paying the tenant to vacate early). Joyce Muecke, RE/MAX Realty 100, Milwaukee, WI
To add to Eric's post, notice can only be given on the first of the month. The City of Milwaukee offers a free landlord training program. http://city.milwaukee.gov/Landlordtraining

Here is also a link to the landlord tenant laws: http://datcp.wi.gov/consumer/wisconsin_way/

Good luck to you.
thank you so much for the links!
Flag Sun Apr 28, 2013
For those tenants on a month to month rental, 28 days notice before the next rental period is the required notice if no other provisions in the rental agreement provide otherwise. You can make it part of your purchase contract to have one of the units vacant as long as the current owner has sufficient time to provide proper notice. A new rental agreement can be negotiated at any time. BE SURE you understand all the rental laws before you get yourself into trouble.