Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

Ozchippy, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

I am looking at moving from australia to california, where is the most family friendly neighbourhood?

Asked by Ozchippy, Los Angeles, CA Sat Oct 22, 2011

Answers

17
Deborah Bremner’s answer
Hi Orzchippy:
Each agent who responds to you here will more than likely say, "definitely my neighborhood!" because they want your business, and they like where they work.
I'm going to respond a little differently.
I am a Southern California native, and I've been a Realtor here for 35 years. I know Los Angeles like the back of my hand. You can find family friendly neighborhoods throughout southern California. What you will quickly learn, however, is that if you want to have family time, you need to cut down on commute time. Proximity to place of employment is probably one of the single biggest quality of life issues about living in Los Angeles.
So my first question to families moving to Los Angeles is, where will you work? How long are you willing to spend in your car each day?
Having settled those factors, you need to consider whether you will be using public or private education. Some neighborhoods, while family friendly, do not have the best public schools. If you want a great public school, that is a factor that will narrow down and define your search.
The third factor is walkability. Do you like to take your family out to stroll or bike in the neighborhood in which you live? Do you want a small neighborhood commercial center nearby? Los Angeles has many hillside and canyon communities that are lovely to live in but only accessible by car. They probably should be crossed off your list.
And lastly, consider lot size, especially yard and flat lot. Often some of the family-friendly communities do not have family friendly yards to go with the homes. That may not be a problem if there is a large community park nearby, but it depends on your preferences.
If you would like more help defining your search, I'd be happy to help. In addition, you can sign up for a ListingBook account, which will allow you to set parameters on your search criteria, and search the MLS like an agent, getting all the information you need about school and location as well. I provide this as a service to my
clients to give them access to the same database that we use in the real estate business. You can access it 24/7 from any computer. It will provide you with up-to-the-minute data on all the properties that are on the market that matter to you. Simply follow the link below to sign up.
Deborah Bremner
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
REALTOR, 00588885, ABR, CDPE, eAgent, CSP, SFR, HRC, CRE
(O) 310-571-1364 DIRECT
(D) (310) 800-2954
http://www.thebremnergroup.com
Accredited Buyer Representative|Certified Distressed Property Expert |Pre-Foreclosure Specialist Certified
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 22, 2011
Ozchippy,

You're going to have to narrow down your search. For most people who don't live in our area, "Los Angeles" could be considered the greater Los Angeles area and covering over 5-6 counties. To drive from one end of this region to another would be 1.5-2 hours. Where will you be working? What about Los Angeles appeals to you the most? If you have children, do look at the schools and school districts. Our values here are driven by location and a big part of that has to do with the school district. Each public school is measured by academic performance and associated with an API score.

The best school districts will have API scores north of 800. Let's step back for a second - our local traffic is pretty bad. For a good standard of living, living close to where you will work will keep stress down. Start with the communities within a 30 minute drive of work for starters, then look for the good school districts in close proximity.

To get help with this, most local real estate professionals will be a great source of information.

Best of luck on your move!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 29, 2011
Hi there. If you can share where in California you'd like to be, such as Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, etc.. you will find better answers from a couple of local experts within your area of interest. If Los Angeles is where you want to be, I can easily recommend some neighborhoods and eventually narrow it down once I have a better understanding of what you and your family are looking for. There are excellent neighborhoods all around CA :) It is a great place to live..

I am experienced in relocation and can assist beyond your home search and purchase. If LA is where you want to be, I look forward to helping you and your family make it a smooth move.

Sam Musallam
Coldwell Banker
818-851-2425
Realtor818@gmail.com
Which part of Los Angeles County are you considering? If you would like to be centrally located, Pasadena and South Pasadena are close to downtown, have great schools, near outdoor activities, local shopping, classic Spanish and Craftsman style homes, etc.
If you would like the beach, Manhattan Beach has a wonderful community and is very near the water whether in the "trees", or near the beach (which are seperate areas).
Kindly email me back and I'm happy to direct you to more specific neighborhoods based on your specifics.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 23, 2011
Don't forget the wine country of Sonoma County in Northern California! I moved from NYC to LA to Sonoma County in the 70's and have been here every since! We have vineyards, redwoods, San Francisco, beautiful rolling hills, temperate climate yearound! Do a search on my website! Good Luck,
Terry Bell, Realtor, CPS Real Estate, Santa Rosa, CA
Torrance is the area your looking for. Close to beach and top ranked schools. It also happens to be my area of expertise. Please give me a call so we may chat more.
DJ Bonner
562-572-4203
djbonner@kw.com
Hi Ozchippy,
So based on your budget numbers, you can spend about $350,000 USD. Our banking system will only allow you to purcase for 100% cash, unless you are filing tax returns in the US, with at least 2 years history. I would suggest you consider Ventura, Oxnard, and perhaps Camarillo and Agoura/ Westlake. The first two are beach communities and have the features you desire. The second two are slightly farther from the beach, but are family friendly and have great schools. I would love to assit in any way that I can.
Best of luck!
Deborah Bremner
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
(O) 310-571-1364 DIRECT
(D) (310) 800-2954
http://www.thebremnergroup.com
Hi Ozchippy:

When you convert $350,000 AUD to USD using the conversion programs, the USD amount is approximately $362,000. That is your highest target purchase price. Still Torrance has what you are looking for.

Kat
Hi Again Ozchippy:

Torrance has many homes available in your price range and is located close to the beaches. The middle schools and also high schools are also desirable. I see your kids are moving into the middle and high school age.

Feel free to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to send you some of the listings.

All the best, and good luck!

Kat Becker, Realtor
Prudential California Realty
katbecker@prula.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 22, 2011
Hi Ozchippy--

Near the beach --detached home with 4 bedrooms near a Southern California beach is quite expensive--more than $650,000.00. however, there are some lovely neighborhoods with good, even great schools you might be able to get into at your budget. I'd love to share my knowledge of Los Angeles amd my great real estae agent skills with you.

Again, my number is 323-219-4480 and ,y email address is lynnleglaire@gmail.com.

Yours,
Lynn LeGlaire
There are many very nice aeras in Los Angeles. The Best is area 19 - The grove. Very centered and walking distances to restaurants, markets,shops, Beverly center.
If you need more help , please call me 323-547-2743. email : maguybenaim@kw.com.
Where are you in Australia, I have family in Melbourne and friends in Sydney. Best regards
Hi to everyone that has answered, sorry I should have been a little more specific. I have 2 children ages 13 and 9, so I am looking at good education, close to shops and perhaps not too far from the beach. I would be looking at a 3 to 4 bedroom house that is not attached to the nest house!. We have approx 300,000 to 350,000 AUD to spend. Both my husband and I would love to find work also, anything at this stage would be fine. Thanks again for all your answers

Hi Ozchippy:

There are many great neighborhoods in California. The question is what cities are or have you considered? California is such a huge state that you can land almost anywhere and find a great neighborhood.

It also depends on what you are looking for. Do you have kids? If so, you would want to look at the schools and the districts. Are you seeking employment? Affordable housing? A place to start or bring your business? Northern California vs Mid or Southern California? Do you want to live by the beach, mountains, desert, or major metropolitan city? Demographics? What specifically are you looking for. Answers to these questions will make your search easier.

Feel free to let me know the answers to these questions so I may assist you better.

Good luck and all the best,

Kat Becker, Realtor
Prudential California Realty
katbecker@prula.com
As mentioned before there is lots of nice family areas in California. I would like to introduce you to Santa Clarita Ca. We are North about an hour from down town Los Angeles and also about an hour South/ East from Santa Barbara. It also only takes about 1.15 to go skiing from here.
I moved out here in 1997 because of the excellent public schools. Most our schools are California Disquinished and/ or National Blue Ribbon. I fell in love with the area because of the strong sense of family values and the wide variety of activities geared towards children and families. Santa Clarita is often voted within the top five safest areas in the United States. Valencia an area within Santa Clarita was one of the first planned communities in the United States. We have a paseo system which inter locks the neighborhoods with walking/ bike paths so people don't have to go on the busy streets to travel to the parks, schools, restaurants, community pools, restaurants and shopping.
With being and hour from down town are housing is priced very reasonable and we have newer homes as well. The city takes great pride in making everything look new as it starts to look old. We have a no graffiti tolerance and a special task force to make sure our streets always look nice.
We definitely worth taking a look at.
http://www.santa-clarita.com/
http://www.valencia.com/
Web Reference: http://www.laura4homes.com
Hello Ozchippy,
Los Angeles is a large and diverse city. So many heighborhoods have thier draw. As a Realtor, I wrok all over the city and pride myself on my multi-cultural/area Los Angeles knowledge and sensibilties.. If you give me a call or email me and let me know something about you and your family- your sensibilities and hobbies, I might be able to help you.
My name is Lynn LeGlaire at lynnleglaire@gmail.com or call me at 323-219-4480. Los Angeles is really wonderful and there are so many great neighborhoods and communities here.

yours,
Lynn LeGlaire
What is it all of a sudden with Australians wanting to relocate here? I have 2 other clients coming here from Sydney. Cooler weather? Up late looking for houses eh?

There are so many 'family friendly' neighborhoods it would be impossible to list them all here. The better way to go about this & narrow it down is simply, what can you afford, what is your price range? That is going to help me to determine which areas you'd probably like best.

Get some sleep, unless you're an insomniac too & email me in the morning directly as I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers after mine.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors
Hi...definately the Los Feliz area...please let us know if we can help!
Bruce Jay Associates 323-660-3600
Web Reference: http://www.brucejay.com