Home Buying in Wilmington>Question Details

cjd0718, Home Buyer in Wilmington, NC

I am looking at buying my first home. Would you suggest getting pre-approval from a mortgage lender first?

Asked by cjd0718, Wilmington, NC Thu Feb 6, 2014

If so where would be a good place to start in Wilmington, NC

Answers

13
A pre-approval will save you time and money. You should also research programs available to first time home buyers. Some of these programs require that you attend a free home buying seminar before making an offer. I work with a program through the City of Wilmington that offers qualified buyers up to 40% of the loan interest FREE with $500.00 borrower contribution. This is the best program around.
Call me to discuss details on how to proceed.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Bea Desmond
910-508-0793
BDesmond@IntracoastalRealty.com
Hello, In my opinion you should speak with a few experienced lenders and choose one you feel the best about. If you are comfortable using a lender that is not within driving distance of your home you will have a larger selection to choose from. If you are only comfortable when you can sit down face to face with a person than you should look for a few local lenders to talk to. I find that the majority of my clients are perfectly fine doing business with me by phone, email, text, website, etc. even when they are only a few miles away. However, some people still feel they want to sit down in the lenders office which is fine as well. If you would like to "interview" me to give me a chance to earn your trust, see my tagline below with all of my contact information. Either way, good luck and I love the area down there. I actually have a side of my family that has sea captains from Southport going back many, many generations!
Web Reference: http://www.loansfromrob.com
I'm available to help you at your convenience if you wish.

I can do a full underwriting approval ahead of time if need be and I also offer credit score improvement programs for free while we work on your mortgage.

If you like my answer above, consider clicking on a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer”

Robert L. Hanson
Gladewater National Bank
First Time Homebuyer Specialist

Direct: 240-752-7549 Cell: 301-651-7822
Email: robertlh66@verizon.net
NMLS# 695929
Flag Fri Feb 7, 2014
How exciting! Yes, it's always a good idea to get a pre-approval so you know how much you can afford. There's nothing more frustrating than looking at a $200,000 home you love only to find out you can only afford $150,000! If you're not sure who to contact, shoot me an e-mail and I can connect you with a great local lender. Pre-approval is very easy and doesn't take long at all. Good Luck!
Absolutely. Getting pre-qualified by a reputable local lender in the Wilmington area, is always your first step in your home search. This gives you personal information for your price range.

I would like very much to help you and can recommend several people for you to choose from. Please feel free to contact me at ddelia@laneyrealestate.com or at my direct phone number (910)232-4397.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Delores Delia, CRS, GRI
Certified Residential Specialist
(910) 232-4397
ddelia@laneyrealestate.com
Laney Real Estate Company
Wilmington, NC 28403
I've had a few deals with Adam and agree with the other agents assessment. Mortgage is one piece of the puzzle, a first step should be researching and choosing a buyers agent. Working as a "buyer's only agent", I see hundreds of homes and track properties for dozens of potential buyers. By doing this, I have a deep base of knowledge to assist my buyer clients in finding the right house and weighing it against others. As a home inspector, I give my clients a critical perspective of the homes they are considering and preventing wasted time and resources. Your buyer's agent will make or break your investment, and we share the listing agents commission so there is no additional cost to you.
Ignore all those advising you on the matter who are outside of Wilmington NC. They have nothing to do with our niche of real estate here or its nuances. I recommend you to use the local GuaranteedRate rep who responded below Adam Slack. They offer ultra quick servicing for loans and are very preventative of lender drama occurring . My buyers have many excellent experience with guaranteedrate. They use another broker there, but I'm sure Adam offers similar levels of professionalism.

Warm regards,

jay

p.s. My local website far more details on the listings than most any such as room dimensions, HOA fees, etc.

p.s.s. Why are outsiders on the Wilmington board? Hilarious.
Absolutely! And don't be afraid to check with a few different lenders either; not just to make sure that you are getting the best rate and terms, but to make sure you are working with a lender and mortgage consultant that will be there for you throughout the process and help you understand everything that takes place on their end.

If you aren't sure where to start, give your Real Estate Agent a call - not only can they discuss pre-qualification with you in a little more detail, but they will probably have a few different lenders that they have worked closely with in the past that have done a good job for their other clients as well.

If you aren't working with an agent where you are, feel free to contact me, and I would be glad to put you in touch with someone I know in Wilmington.

Have a great day!

Gary Wolyn
Licensed Real Estate Agent
GaryWolyn@kw.com
585-766-7099
We are one of the largest mortgage lenders in the United States and we are right here at 5911 Oleander Drive in Wilmington, NC 28403.

I work for Guaranteed Rate here in Wilmington. Would you have a few minutes this morning to go through the pre-approval?

If you can give me a call here at 910-794-8353.

Adam Slack
That is a great question!

I do think that it is a wise move to speak to a lender & get pre-qualified so that you know the price range that is the most comfortable for you & your budget. I would be happy to refer you to a couple of different lenders if that would help.

Please feel free to call me this morning & we can discuss what you are looking for & what options are available.

Aimee Freeman
910-317-0828
AimeeFreeman@kw.com
http://wilmingtonhomes.kwrealty.com/
When you want to buy a home the best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. Visit http://www.naeba.org for a referral to an Exclusive Buyer's Agent in your area.

I've written a best selling book called Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You. It'll teach you how to buy a home without getting ripped off. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.helpubuyamerica.com
Hi cjd0718,

Yes, I would suggest getting pre-approved before going house hunting. Agents and owners usually take you more seriously when you are pre-approved. Also, once you are pre-approved there are no surprises about how much house you can afford. That is usually one of the first questions that I ask when someone calls me about a house. Whatever lender you choose ask about the FHA loan.
cjd,
YES. Getting pre-approved is the first step to finding out what you can afford, what type of payments you can afford, what mortgage choices you have and what credit issues you may need to address first. Please, for a good experience get pre-approved right away.
Congratulations on this new time in your life to make an excellent financial investment. Yes, definitely start with a mortgage lender who can advise you on mortgage rates and programs that would be available to you, in addition to giving you a good assessment of how much of a mortgage you could be approved for. All that said, make sure that the lender you speak to is someone who has been referred to you by someone who you trust. The best source for a great lender referral would be your real estate agent. Best of luck with your home search. Sivya Weis RE/MAX Gold Coast (201)951-8306 sivya@hobokenproperties.com http://TheHobokenDream.com