Home Buying in Blandon>Question Details

Littlelizzie, Home Buyer in Blandon, PA

I am looking at buying a townhouse, but my husband says no, because he does not feel we would own it.

Asked by Littlelizzie, Blandon, PA Sun Jul 5, 2009

how does it work to buy a town home from a development? and would we be putting ourselves in a good position for resale in 5 or so years, by buying a townhome like this? it is in excellent condition.

Answers

6
There have been alot of good answers here. To me, the biggest difference is, if there is a home owner's association involved, there are rules you have to obey. If there is no home owner's association, there is little difference in owning a townhome vs any other single family home - other than sharing a wall with your neighbor.

With a home owner's association (HOA), there are by-laws and typically a monthly fee that includes many of the chores a home owner has to do - like shoveling snow, outdoor maintence, etc. Each HOS is a bit different but essentially, you take care of the inside and they'll take care of the outside. Meetings are on a regular basis and if you attend, your ideas can be heard.

With a single family home withoug a HOA, you do the lawn work, shoveling snow, maintain sidewalks, etc.

It all boils down to - how much work do you want to do outside and is it worth it to adhere to the HOA rules so you don't have to worry about it? I'd suggest that if you are interested in a townhome in Blandon, you contact the HOA for a copy of their bylaws (sometimes they have a website) so you can read their rules and what they do for you and then make a decision.

I'd be more than happy to help you do this research if you like. I do handle that area.

Sharon Sapp
Century 21 Call First
Office: 610-921-2400 ext 255; Cell: 484-955-1075
Sharon.Sapp@Century21.com
http://www.YourRealtor4PA.com
Could your husband be confusing this with buying a timeshare or fractional ownership property?
I feel that for Buyers it is a life style choice. I have had Buyers that want all the amenities but do not want the hassle of coming home from work and doing yard work so a town home or condo makes perfect sense for them. Other Buyers want a yard, gardens etc. and won't even consider a town home. If you don't want close neighbors, desire privacy or want association rules and regs., then a town home may not be for you. It's hard to say what the market will be in 5 years for resale. I would be happy to do some research for you as far as resales in the area if you need help. I sevice Berks Co.
Bev Kalb
Century 21 Longacre Realty
610-845-6000 x 208
610-442-6897 direct
http://www.century21longacre.com
Absolutely you own the townhome--it is just like buying a single family home or a semi-detached home--except--some townhomes have home owners associations and there could be a monthly fee. As far as resale in 5 years--that would depend on the market (just like if you bought a single family home). Prices normally increase over time, and first time homebuyers usually purchase townhomes or semi's because they are usually cheaper than a single. Most importantly, you and your husband have to agree first!!!!!
Hello...I can tell you in some cases owning a townhome is like owning a single family home...My husband is a townhome developer in Fort Lauderdale, Fl...and all of the townhomes we build are "fee simple homes, with a common party wall agreement" that means you own the unit and the land that it is sitting on...All of our townhomes have private yards and private pools...in many cases they are larger then many of the single family homes in Fort Lauderdale...Our townhomes do not have a governing HOA fee either....So it really depends on the type if townhome you are buying, the the townhome is in the condo association then you do not own the land the unit is on, and in that case I can undestand your husband being reluctant....If you have any further questions please feel free to ask me...hope this helped a little....
Web Reference: http://www.cabothomes.com
Personally, I'd be more interested in buying a single family home but that's just me. I don't care for HOAs and I don't want to share a wall with a neighbor or two.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.