Home Buying in Keller>Question Details

Deb, Home Buyer in Keller, TX

I am looking at a home with a hot tub.would that be included in the price?

Asked by Deb, Keller, TX Tue Feb 5, 2013

Answers

14
Well it depends if you have to repair it or not. If you have to repair it then I would get them to repair it and then you can talk about the price. http://www.myspafix.com/oakdale-ca.html
Ask your agent. It should be noted on the local MLS information sheet. If it is not, it can always be a negotiation item if it is really important to you in purchasing the house. Some hot tubs are better off being left with the house considering how they are installed and where.
Depends on the hot tub. Some are VERY nice and others are average. If it has a VERY nice one, expect to pay for it!

Will Jenkins | http://www.shortysplumbing.ca/boilers.html
Hot tubs typically go with the home, however if you are concerned about it have your agent include it in the contract.
Your contract is how you can guarantee everything you want is included in the home. Having a hot tub can be very relaxing; it feels great to sit under the jets after a long day at the office. I would look to a company that does a quality installation. The last thing you need in your home is water seepage.
http://www.calhomespas.com/products/spas/limelight/
Flag Fri Nov 21, 2014
Deb, I'd have to pretty much agree with everyone below regarding your questions. EVERYTHING IN REAL ESTATE IS NEGOTIABLE! However, if you are looking in the Keller area and are not currently working with an agent please give us a call. We have one listing currently on the ground with a hot tub and a listing coming soon that also fit that criteria. If you already have an agent, have your agent give us a call, we would love to sell you one of our homes! Best of luck
I was going to agree-- don't take anything for granted, but don't assume that you're being cheated either. Simply ask the owner if they're selling the hot tub with the rest of the house. If they were planning on taking it, you might be able to negotiate a price. | http://www.spatechsandiego.com
Flag Tue Dec 16, 2014
Did you notice that this question was posted on February 5th, and everyone else answered it by February 6th?!?!
Flag Sun Jun 16, 2013
A P.S. for the newer Agents out there:

It does not matter what was listed in MLS, or what was shown as an "Exclusion" in MLS. The controlling document is the Contract between buyer and seller. If the contract did not address the topic in question when it was executed, then you could go back to the seller with an "Amendment", NOT an "addendum", and stipulate how the issue is to be handled at closing.

Amendments change things that were not in the original contract. Addenda will add things that are being included at the time the contract is signed by both parties. You cannot unilaterally tack on an addendum after you've executed the contract. For example, if the seller's agent "forgets" to include a Mineral Rights addendum with the contract, then the buyer gets the minerals, and it does not matter what your MLS listing says. You cannot force someone to sign an addendum after having executed a contract.

Good luck guys!

Rick DeVoss

ULTRA Real Estate Services

817-300-6121

===========
Good explanation on Addenda and Amendments. So many agents use those words interchangeably.
Flag Sat Jun 15, 2013
Dear Deb,

I have a house for sale with a Hot Tub room attached to the Master Bedroom. If you are interested in something like that, please contact me directly. I'm sure you would not have asked this question if you didn't think it was important.

But you didn't make it clear whether you were looking at a specific house that had a Hot Tub, or if you were looking FOR a house with a Hot Tub. In any case, if you are working with me as your Realtor, I would always negotiate the sale so that the Hot Tub is included in the price. We would specify that in the contract, and you can also have it inspected so that you know it works before you buy the house. (Unless, of course, you are buying the house "as is", and then it would be up to you to fix it as needed after taking possession.)

I'm wondering if you are currently talking to a Realtor, because that agent should have been able to answer your question for you. If you are buying a house from a FSBO, you are already in more hot water than the Hot Tub could ever provide! So, please, call a Realtor to represent you, and you won't have to ask generic questions like this on an internet website.

As a general rule, anything that is attached to the property is considered to be "real property" in Texas. But if it is not attached, it is "personal property." Here's an example: a refrigerator is personal property because it is not attached to the wall; but a dishwasher is part of the house, because it is installed in the cabinet and permanently attached to the plumbing. Your question was about an item that could go either way, and so none of us can answer that on here, because we haven't seen the way the Hot Tub is installed at the house you are talking about.

Enjoy your Hot Tub!

Rick DeVoss

ULTRA Real Estate Services

817-300-6121

RickDeVoss@Realtor.com
====================
Always put it in writing if you want it to stay. Never assume that it stays even if it was written in the MLS. There needs to be an addendum to convey personal property.
I would suggest not focusing on a hot tub as you could always buy a new one and as far as reasons to buy a home this shouldn't even be a consideration. If you've not owned a hot tub I can assure you, that after your initial enthusiasm wears off in the first year or so you'll use it much less than you imagine and will probably wonder why you even wanted one. They require regular maintenance , don't weather well, and if indoors add excessive moisture to your home which you don't need or want. I believe most homeowners who have one if they were being honest would admit that they wish they hadn't bought one. Buying a used hot tub is buying someone else's problem

When looking for a home focus on what matters , location, floor plan, school districts, yard space, etc. Once you've bought a home if you still want a hot tub their easy to buy.
Don't ever assume that a hot tub would convey. I've seen sellers leave them and I've seen sellers take them and I've seen them sell them off before they move. A simple addendum to the contract would make it certain that when you move in, you have your hot tub. Remember that everything is negotiable.
If the hot tub has permanent electrical service to it which is still connected, then it's safe to say the hot tub is therefore attached and can reasonably be considered to convey with the property absent any language to the contrary in the contract form. If there is any doubt, simply include language in an addendum specifying the hot will convey.
The hot tub would be included unless the sellers have listed it as an "exclusion". Whether or not it is excluded should be posted in the MLS. If you have an agent, he or she should be able to find that out for you. If you don't have an agent, feel free to contact me with the property address and I'd be more than happy to get you an answer! http://www.homesbyloisk.com
Yes, anything permanently attached to a home is a apart of the home price unless exempted by the Seller.
Not many homes have hot tubs any longer HOWEVER yes that would be included in the sales price or rental amount

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas