Home Buying in Wheaton>Question Details

Erik, Home Buyer in Wheaton, IL

I am looking at a home in south Wheaton that has private well water. Sewer is public. Is well water in south Wheaton a good thing?

Asked by Erik, Wheaton, IL Sat May 5, 2012

I know there's maintenance and annual testing that needs to be done. Is well water common in south Wheaton? Do conditions vary from home to home? Just how private are these wells? Are they shared with neighbors or entire neighborhoods?

Answers

6
Josie Morrison’s answer
Best advice to give you is talk to some of the neighbors surronding the home you are possibly interested in. Homes do take longer to sell that are on well & septic. It is a negative for most buyers. Altough your costs are lower you do not have the same quality of water as the city of Wheaton offers. They publish their annual drinking water results.
Hello Erik. A seller has to provide a well and septic report before closing. There is a company I use for my testing and can answer your questions. Russell and Abraham at 630-231-1465. They are the experts. Any other questions, feel free to email me at Mary@MaryBremer.com. Thanks.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
I don't have much experience with having a well on the property. It is nice to know that the seller has to provide a well and septic report like that. There are so many details to consider when buying and closing a home. It can be tough to know what questions to ask. This is something I might not have thought about.
http://www.acewellpump.com/services.html
Flag Mon Dec 22, 2014
Erik,

I grew up in unincorperated Glen Ellyn (next to Wheaton) and had well water growing up. Unless there are pollutants, it's mostly an inconvenience more than it is a health hazard. Jeff provides some great advice below on dealing with the rotten egg smell, and potential for the water to turn your white clothes a "dingy" yellow if it's not sufficiently softened. If the area is unincorperated, you are likely to be on a well - unless city water was offered and the owners paid the additional expense to hook up to it.

The other issue, as stated below, is that wells and septic systems don't last forever - so they are both another potential expense you might be dealing with at some point down the road (and they aren't cheap).

Without knowing the specifics of the property and the associated well, it's hard to answer most of your questions. I would get a thorough inspection of the well and septic obviously, but also get the water tested independently by a lab somewhere. Here's the number to Dupage Enviromental Services - (630) 682-7400 - they can likely point you in the right direction for testing (by someone who isn't trying to "sell" you something).

Hope this helps!
I can speak from personal experience having lived in a home in Wheaton that used well water. For many years, before Wheaton switched to Lake Michigan water (circa 1992), it was regularly listed in a major newspublication as having one of the top 5 worst water sources in the US. As far as the conditions of the water, it can vary from site to site. While the well can be private (not used by other homes), the well is essentially ground water and can share characteristics/ pollutants with nearby wells of other peoples homes. Hope that helps.
Erik,
I'm on private well in N. Wheaton and our water is pretty bad although I doubt we would be on the same aquafer. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a home with city water. It's great not having a water bill but it doesn't make up for the problems.

If you decide to buy a home on well I recommend a few things:
Invest in an iron filter. Most homes will have a water softener but you really need an iron filter as well. Even with the iron filter you'll battle rust stains on your toilet, shower, sink and clothes.
Install a reverse osmosis system for your drinking water / ice maker or sign up for bottled water delivery.
Remove the sacrificial anode from your hot water heater. This will reduce or eliminate the rotten egg (sulfur) smell. Your hot water heater will corrode quicker but it's worth it to get rid of the smell.

I hope this helps.
Besides maintenance and testing private wells don't last forever. If this an older well (15-25 years) it may need replacement soon. Well water is not common in south Wheaton and would normally only be in unincorporated properties. Conditions can vary from home to home depending on many factors such as age, depth, soil conditions, etc. If it's being advertised as a "private" well it should only be serving that specific property. There are such things as common or community wells which will serve several properties under a written agreement.

Mike Fawell
Prudential Rubloff Properties
145 Danada Square East
Wheaton, IL 60189
(630) 344-5876 (direct)