Teresa Blanc, Home Buyer in Fair Oaks, CA

I am interested in moving close to downtown and in doing my research I have come accross a beautiful, small

Asked by Teresa Blanc, Fair Oaks, CA Thu Jul 3, 2008

neighborhood called Woodlake. Why is Woodlake not better known (I have lived in Sacramento for 8 years and had not heard about it) and would you recommend buying a house there?

Answers

6
I remember when I was a little boy, Woodlake was THE place to be in Sacramento. My parents had friends who lived there, and, for us, it was like we were going to Beverly Hills when we visited them. In reality, though it's not quite Beverly Hills, there are several beautiful homes in that area, and, over the years, this small community has somehow managed to remain untouched by the general decline that has beset the neighboring Del Paso area.

Woodlake is incredibly convenient to downtown, if that's where you work, but the reputation of the schools in that area of the district is undistinguished. And there's not a lot of nearby services. I'm not sure where you would shop for groceries, for example. In short, I think the primary downside to residing in that neighborhood is the fact that it's surrounded on one side by a strictly industrial area and, on the other, by a residential and commercial area that is not among the most highly regarded in the city. No one wants to come right out and say it, but the Del Paso area can be a little rough. That hurts values in Woodlake.

So if the idea of living in a little oasis is attractive to you, you should definitely consider Woodlake. I think you'll find quite a bang for your buck there.
Woodlake is a very small pocket of nice older homes. The homes are mostly surrounded by gates due to the outside surrounding 95815 zip. If you are looking at this neighborhood to buy in I would suggest doing your research first and compare it to what is important to you and your family. Although some of the houses are nice in Woodlake, the surrounding neighborhood is a high crime and poverty area and it does slither into Woodlake. As of October 2008 there is an action against the 700 block on Dixieanne Avenue, it is the number one open air drug market. The nearby elementary school is one of the poorest ranked schools in Sacramento with CPS visiting frequently and violence/drug suspensions and expulsions happening in as low as levels as third grade. You can get the cute house you have always wanted or that "fixer-upper" without shelling out the $650,000 it would cost in an area such as Arden Park. However the reason Arden Park, Land park etc. has the higher price tag is due to it's greatly desired school district, low crime rate, family orientated community and convenient placement.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 1, 2008
woodlake is the best kept secret...and has been kept that way because of its isolation between Highway 160, the warehouse district of Arden way and Del Paso Blvd. I just sold a house on Johnston Road there and our company has another one listed there. The homes are truly charming (better toward the east side) and affordable. Good for you for finding a true gem!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 3, 2008
Woodlake is not a known area. I believe in Sacramento it is hard to know where each small area is because every few blocks you are in a different "area" all part of Sacramento. Woodlake has some nice homes that are large on nice size lots. Most homes though are original built in the 50's and earlier. If you do not need to worry about schools, then it is great to commute downtown and it is an established neighborhood of Sacramento. If you would like, I can send an email with all current listings in the Woodlake neighborhood.

Good Luck with your search.
Web Reference: http://realtyaid.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 3, 2008
Woodlake is one of Sacramento's best kept secrets, and I absolutely would buy a home there. The prices are affordable. It's like living in East Sacramento without paying East Sacramento prices. Some people are put off by the ZIP, if you can believe that! But there is nothing wrong with that neighborhood, and we list a lot of homes in Woodlake.

For example, last year, you could have purchased this castle-like home with a coat of arms on the door, tremendous square footage and a pool for around $500,000. Something like this magnificent home in East Sac or Land Park would cost you upwards of a million dollars.

Woodlake is conveniently located near downtown, too. If there was a drawback, I'd say it's having to drive past commercial and some less desirable areas coming into downtown, but that entire corridor is slated for rehabilitation, so it's not going to look like that forever.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 3, 2008
Woodlake is in a School District and a Zip Code, that many buyers eliminate form their search. Woodlake itself is a lovely little pocket of Tudor style homes surrounded by, er, ah, shall we say, "affordable housing" and an old commercial district. You can get much more for your money there as a buyer, than you could get in Land Park or Midtown, McKinley Park and East Sac.

However, when you go to sell someday, years from now, it will probably be a lower priced neighborhood at that time as well. I would recommend buying there, if you aren't easily embarrassed by a zip code number.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA