Home Buying in Middletown>Question Details

Kikilele, Home Buyer in Middletown, NY

I am interested in leaving NYC, I need to be no more than an hour from Ulster Correctional Facility. What areas should I begin my search?

Asked by Kikilele, Middletown, NY Sun Jun 17, 2012

Must be a safe area near h.s. park, and amenities. It is very important that it is a good place to raise children. I heard middletown isnt safe, I am not interested in it. Thank you :)

Answers

4
Anna Brocco’s answer
Much will depend on your budget, therefore consider choosing an agent to work with. If purchasing with mortgage, be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously.
It may be a good idea to first determine what areas will be within a one hour commute to your work location. A suggestion would be to find your work location on a map and using the legend to determine distance go 30 miles out from your work location and make a circle. Locate the school district within these areas.

Next you should know your affordability. If you haven't already contact a lender and get prequalified. Once you know your affordability you can research the value of homes located in the area you circled on the map. Find areas that offer you a good selection of homes in your price range. This may help you zero in on one to three school districts.

Once you have done this now you can do a focused neighborhood search for things that are important to you. The internet is loaded with information. However, through your job you may know people who already live in these areas. Ask them your questions. Also, drive through these areas at different times of day and simply observe. Stop in to stores buy a soda and ask some questions. Consider making appointment to visit the schools. Stopping by a police station may be helpful as well.

Once you do these things it will probably become very clear where you want to live. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 17, 2012
There are many areas in Orange County that are great places to live. Google the NY State school report card. Look at the test scores and you will find areas that you will like. Visit different towns or look them up on the Web and see if they have events that interest you.
Hi, Agents are [prohibited by license laws from commenting on crime and safety. We can give you resources to formulate your own opinion. You can visit http://www.HomeFair.com and click on the city reports section for in-depth crime stats and area demographics. Another option is http://www.SpotCrime.com.

Chris