Home Buying in New Paltz>Question Details

Melissa Rive…, Renter in Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY

I am interested in developing a relationship with an agent from the New Paltz area. My move won't happen in probably 18 months but I like to

Asked by Melissa Rivera, Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY Sun Apr 15, 2012

plan.

Answers

6
Terrific! Take the time to come up and visit the area several times. Pick an agent you feel very comfortable with and believe you can commit to for the long run. The relationship you build with your agent can make the difference between having a well oiled rapore when a deal comes together and feeling like you may be losing out on taking the right path.

An agent that knows you can be exttremely insightful and helpful and they can jump in when things get tough and keep communications open between you as a buyer and the sellers.

Good luck with your journey and remember pick an agent that is willing to take the time to have patience with getting to know you, your son and your mother!

Best of luck!
Hollise Tirendi
Hi Hollise,

Thanks for responding and your kind words. Sorry, I am just seeing this now. I have been communicating regularly with someone and it has been great so far. I am not going to my local bank and speaking to a mortgage broker on Friday to figure out the finances piece.

I recently drove through on my way home from a business trip. Stopped off for some coffee and immediately felt at home. New Paltz has a great energy that I love and can't get in NYC!

Thanks again!
Melissa
Flag Wed Jul 25, 2012
New Paltz is a wonderful place to live - I've been here for more than 40 years now! Besides what the college of SUNY New Paltz offers to the community, we've got great sports venues for hiking, biking, and climbing, plus a good choice of restaurants offering diverse menus ranging from organic veggie burgers to steaks, and everything in between.
Located right on Main Street, our Coldwell Banker office is convenient for buyers and we know the Ulster County market and the available properties and can help you target and find the best property for you.
I'd be happy to meet with you and tell you about New Paltz and all that Coldwell Banker can offer to you when you're ready to buy.
It is a great area. I am from Rockland County about 50 minutes away but my son attended school there and wish you well. Presently looking for large property in this area for a client who has horses & also would like rental possibilities. The outskirt area are also beautiful(Modena, Rosendale, Stone Ridge, Accord. High Falls etc.) If you want I could easily send you all pertinent listings to your criteria automatically so you are continually updated. Just closed houses in Stone RIdge & Shawangunk and my son now lives further up in Kingston area. Beat of Luck!!
Hi Allan..Thanks for your kind words. Anything you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I guess since I only know the Main Street area of New Patlz I am a bit fixated but that is why I need someone I can trust to show me different possibilities. My mom doesn't drive so things have to be in walking distance for her so she can get about while I am at work.
Flag Sun Apr 22, 2012
Hi Allan- Did you check out my listing on 177 Guilford Schoolhouse Road in New Paltz?. It was a horse farm in the past. It is 21.6 acres with views of the ridge. There are several outbuildings, one with 2 run in stalls, and a tack room, A large 120 X 24 two level barn and a contemporary home that was constructed from one of the barns- If you have any questions give me a call, I will attach the link- Good Luck
http://tour.circlepix.com/home/EFBFDX
Flag Tue Apr 17, 2012
Hello Melisa,

Making a move is never an easy task but it seems that you are on the right track doing your research, feeling out the area and agents alike. Being proactive in general is a great habit to have in any form, weather business or personal life it will give you the greatest desired result because you will have dotted all your i's and crossed all your t's before reaching your goals. I'm sure you on your way to finding out that the New Paltz area is everything that you are looking for to slow down your pace a little bit, put your kid in a great school system, and get your soap business off and running in all the local boutiques! The village seems like a great place for your family to settle for the proximity to the local shops, parks, bistros, schools, coffee shops, etc. Your mother is going to love it as everything is within walking distance. When your ready to go back to the city area the bus and metro are only minutes away. I wish you the best in finding your home and offer my expert guidance in getting you there. Not only do I know the local area I know homes as well. I am a expert in construction, have built many homes in the past, I know framing, roofing, siding,HVAC, plumbing, electrical, foundations, land, wells, septic's, etc... and can guide you to making an informed decision in your interest as a buyer, getting you the best price possible. I am available anytime and look forward to hearing from you.
Hi! Thanks for taking the time to write back, it is appreciated. I totally agree with you about the beauty of New Paltz. I know it is the right move for my family and look forward to this journey. Of course I am also concerned with connecting with right people like plumbers, electricians, and the like for when issues arise, there is a number at my finger tips. I am a VIRGO and totally am a true VIRGO so as you can see, I like organization! LOL Can you tell me anything about prefab homes? I have seen that and thought it was interesting. My fantasy is having a Yurt but I know that is probably further down the line!
Flag Sun Apr 22, 2012
Hello Melissa:
The best advice I can give you about choosing a realtor is someone who knows the neighborhood where you'll want to make your next home. If that is New Paltz you don't need to look any further. I have lived here for 25 years and I guess you could say I have seen this community grow.

I do have a little more in common with you as I am familiar with Steinway St in Astoria, was born in Manhattan and moved to Flushing and Bellerose before coming to New Paltz. Aside from that I can tell you that I would be working for you as a buyer's agent and that my list of credentials is too long to post here. If you Google my name you will probably see the many websites that have information about my career. Better yet take it from my former clients who have remained friends. They have surprised me with leaving recommendations on zillow.com and Angies List.

I'm not only an agent but also a broker that works full time so my offices are open 9AM to 8PM every day. Finding a home is serious business but no one ever said that you can't have fun along the way. I do pay special attention to the first time homebuyer because there is so much to know when purchasing a home and you just can't condense all that information into one meeting or one booklet. Just consider me your guide and source of information so when you have a moment you can just give me a call at 845-255-0019 and we can see if the shoe fits, so to speak.
Hi Barbara..Ahh..Steinway St, I live 2 blocks away from there at this currrent time. I appreciate your connection to Queens and as you know it is a great place to live but has become oversaturated with people and high rent. I look forward to seeing what you can offer.
Flag Sun Apr 22, 2012
Hello Melissa
You are wise to develop a realionship with a Realtor early in the process. Our area has so many unique neighborhoods there is so much to learn and explore.

I work throughout the Hudson Valley and specialize in the New Paltz/Gardiner/Highland areas. I think it would be good the find an agent that covers the whole area. You have time to find out what neighborhood is a good fit.

I would be happy to answer any questions about the areas of the Mid Hudson Valley. Give me a call 845 505 3160. To learn more about me and my love of the area visit my Trulia Blog or you can find me on ActiveRain as well. My Blog, "Real Estate and More, New Paltz and Beyond" can also be found on my Website- http://www.UlsterNYHomes.

It helps to learn more about any agent you may work with to see if your personalities are a fit and if they are experienced in the area you are considering moving to-

I wish you the best of Luck- You will love it here!
Barbara Carter
John J Lease Realtors
Hi Barbara, I am enjoying your blog tremendously! So chuck full of nuts of information. Thanks for a great conversation the other day.
Flag Sun Apr 22, 2012