Home Buying in Norwalk>Question Details

ezrideolg, Home Buyer in Norwalk, CT

I am interested in buying a condo in Norwalk. I noticed that most of the condos are all electric. What is the average electric bill?

Asked by ezrideolg, Norwalk, CT Tue Jan 29, 2013

Answers

16
Some of the Condos that have electric heat aren't too problematic because they're
so well built. The ones on Park in Norwalk are pretty efficient even though they're older. If they're
all single level like Park, the higher floors have the benefit of rising heat. Also beware of alternative providers for electric. They start out saving your 5-10 dollars a month, but then they charge you much more than CL&P and you can't contact anyone to do anything about it. There's no one manning the phones at the state complaint center either. Watch out for special assessments. I'd be happy to help.
Hi, yes most condos are electric, however, in Norwalk the builders were required to use extra insulation which by comparison did just as well oil. Use correctly; only heating the room you are in, should not present a large bill. My electriic bill for example was $45.00 a month when I went on vacation. All l the charges were for services and delivery. You can't pin point an average, every home is different in size, family, etc. Janet
Hello, are you still looking to buy in Norwalk? Our condo is a great unit in a beautifully restored Victorian home on Main Street. Two bedrooms with a extra bonus room for another bedroom/office, etc. Great upgrades, etc. Just let me know if you want more details.
I am looking to sell my condo unit in Norwalk.
If you would like more info: lilah243@gmail.com

I could give you more info and speak to you on the phone and possibly show you around.
Great price!

Carol
(waving hand) Carol B. Call me. I do a great job!
Flag Fri May 9, 2014
Actually, they are not all electric heating. Yes, it can be more expensive; however, you may ask for prior bills and request the usage of past owners/renters. If you are in an upper unit, the cost may be less due to the fact that hot air rises.
Of course it depends.....

Those responses are worthless.

$250 per month (electricity) to heat (65 degrees during winter, few degrees warmer in the summer) for 1490-1500 sq ft. Note there is a below unit so heat from theirs will rise. So if you are looking for a stand alone unit or one that is an end unit your $ per month would increase. You can decrease your supply charge on your bill by simpling using another energy supplier. It is very easy to do and advocated by CL&P. This might knock your bill down a few bucks ~$50 max.

This should give you a better idea and you can + / - depending upon the above and your preferences.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 6, 2013
It will vary based on your usage and individual habits. There are other factors such as age of the home, energy efficient appliances, bulbs, windows, doors, insulation, etc - hard to give an average.
Hello again Ezideolg,

I see that your question is still out there and you have provided further detail. Although, you are getting great information from many qualified realtors/agents, perhaps, it's time you committed to one agent.

This is key in all real estate transactions. IInterview a few and choose one. Once you have signed on with an agent to work for you, they will be able to dig into all the details and ask all the right questions so that you are better protected in your purchase. There are many factors that enter into purchasing a condo such as what is the owner occuppied vs rental units ratios. Condo rules and regs need to be reviewed. Are you going for an FHA mortgage.? There are so many things that a buyer would never think of that need answering before you even make an offer.

Many many things enter into it. The best advice I can offer is hire a professional to represent you! You'll have peace of mind, and professional representation that is needed when purchasing a home. Your home is more than likely the largest purchase you'll ever make. It is wise to hire a professional, licensed Realtor.

Linda
Ask your agent to request the utility bills for the past 6 months, and keep in mind that not everyone has the same schedule or comfort temp.
Thank you Linda. Very much appreciated
Flag Wed Jan 30, 2013
Hi Ezrideolg,

You've gotten some pretty good answers but I would like to point out there are many more things to consider finding out besides square footage and the type of system, ie; is it an inside unit or an end unit, is it central or individual a/c, have the windows and doors been replaced with thermopanes, is it a ranch unit, and if so which floor, or is it a bi- or tri-level. There are some condos in Norwalk that have Natural Gas heating and only use electric for a/c, lighting, cooking and clothes drying. And there are others that have gas for cooking and drying, as well as some that include free heat and hot water.

$60 per month is low for all electric, winter and summer. I have a natural gas heated one coming on the MLS with new windows, sliders, furnace & a/c (1400 sq ft, 2 bed, 2 bath) that is about $65/mo each for electric and gas, and it has cathedral ceilings and skylights with ceiling fans to boot. See the web reference below for pictures, floorplans and virtual tour, and feel free to contact me if I can be of more help. Good luck in any case!

Sam Gabe
REALTOR
Halstead Property
203.656.6518
sgabe@halstead.com
Hi Sam, is this property still available? I am very interested
Flag Thu Feb 21, 2013
Thank you Sam for enormously valuable info. I will definitely keep what you told me in mind when I look at places. My wife and I just started looking and so far we've only seen one place. I will check your link. Thank you!
Flag Tue Jan 29, 2013
Thanks for the extra detail Ezrideolg. Yes, $60. per month for a unit like this sounds very low. Maybe in the Spring or Fall when you don't need heat or air conditioning, but over the year I would expect the average to be higher. But don't believe the myth that electric is significantly more expensive for heat. You get a significant discount on your electric bill when your heat is electric. Half of Norwalk residents live in condos and most all condos are electric heat and air conditioning. Not any cheaper than oil or gas, but probably not much more expensive either. Best, Mark
Thank you Mark ! Your info is very helpful. I was always under impression that gas is much cheaper.
Flag Tue Jan 29, 2013
A hot air system indicates that it is an electric heat pump. I agree that $60 is low and not likely to be a typical monthly average. Most systems like this will cost more in the summer (a/c) then the winter. I would anticipate and average monthly much closer to $100-$120. Again, that is taking into account that you work away from home 5 days a week and you don't like extreme in-door temperatures. Good luck with your search. If I can help you further, I will be happy to help. nancy.manby@raveis.com.
Thank you Nancy. $100 -120 is not that bad at all.
Flag Tue Jan 29, 2013
Thanks you for quick responses, I tried to be more specific in my question but it only allowed 150 word limit. Ok, the unit I am looking at right now is located in Silvermine section of Norwalk. It is a 1150 sq ft 2 bedroom. It says heat is electric, hot air. The complex was build in the 80s. The owner said that the last electric bill was $60 and I am very suspicious that it might not be true. I've read online that other owners pay up to $400 a month for a similar size condos.
No, it is for sale through a real estate agent. I had asked the agent about the electric bill and the agent got back to me later with the $60 figure. This is what the owner told the agent. It is suspisiously low. Thanks again for the info!
Flag Tue Jan 29, 2013
The latter is probably more accurate. Electric heat is not cheap. Ask for electric bills and maybe that will paint a more accurate picture. Is this a for sale by owner?
-Joe Balestriere
203-216-0670
https://www.facebook.com/FrankandJoeBalestriere
Flag Tue Jan 29, 2013
Hi Ezrideolg,
Are you looking at 1 bedroom, 2 or 3 bedroom condos? Townhouse style condos or with a unit above or below you. Electric bills will vary so greatly it's virtually impossible to provide an average without narrowing it down some more. You may wish to see some homes and then your agent can inquire as to average bills for that unit.
I'd be happy help if you like. Best, Mark
Good afternoon!

This depends on a multitude of factors, the size, the age of the condo, your usage, the type of electric heat (blown hot air or baseboards), and of course, the intensity of the winter.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!
-Joe Balestriere
203-216-0670
Hello, it really depends on a few factors. How well is the condo insulated? Square Footage? At what temperature do you like to keep the thermostat? You can always ask the seller for bill estimates.