Home Buying in Milford>Question Details

James, Home Buyer in Middleboro, MA

I am interested in any information on Shadowbrook Condominiums in Milford, MA.

Asked by James, Middleboro, MA Wed Mar 4, 2009

I am thinking about buying a condo there to live in and then potentially turn into a rental. Are the grounds and buildings kept up with? Anyone with any personal experience living there or buying there? Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

Answers

6
I am currently a home owner and have lived there for 3.5 years. In this time our condo fees have got up to 325.00 per month. Also, if you are looking for a well kept place, you may want to check it out first and see if its up to your standards because its not up to mine. Be careful driving around in a new car because the road & parking areas are in horrible conditions. There is chucks of tar all over the place from the huge potholes. The lawn maybe mowed, however when the lawn is all dead it is quite easy. If you have any children FYI.....the gated playground, is NEVER unlocked to play in. If you want to get in, bring a coat hanger. The security only is there from 5pm - 2am. My car has been broken into 2 times and urinated in. If you are going to buy, fix up and rent a place.......BEWARE......the office personnel are hard to deal with when it comes to repairs. You cant paint or put in closet organizers unless you have liability and workers comp. insurance. Also, all the hallways are completely outdated with lovely pitted old mirrors, green 1970 carpeting, etc....
I would have assumed by the high condo fee more would be taken care of. I guess they spend the money on new door numbers and were so cheap they did not paint the doors, so there is still an outline of the old ones. Oh ........ beware if they is any majoe issue inside the condo area and repairs are needed, not only will you pay the 325.00 condo fee but they tack on a "special accessement fee" which generally is not under 80.00. Do you want a $405.00 condo fee.
If you are interested in the pool.....don't bother in the summer. Every non- speaking english person brings there entire family there. You are suppose to have a pass, however none the the teenage lifeguards actually check. I brought my child down there and left becasue there was a women screaming at her child to "get the hell over here before I smash your mouth"
As soon as the market turns around, I am seeling my place and moving to a well maintained UPDATED condo.

I lvoe how the realtors who reposned make it sound like a resort......
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 20, 2009
There are many great attributes to Shadowbrook including the amenities and the condo fee includes heat and hot water. They have an indoor pool, tennis, duck pond. I would be happy to talk to you about it more if you are interested. But I see this question was posted in 2009 - it came up as a new question, so my apologies if there wasn't a new question here. Thank you! ambercadorette@gmail.com
Dear James:

I bought my condo in Shadowbrook in 2005, lived there for two and a half years, moved out and have rented it out for the last two years. So far, so good. I´d say that the grounds and buildings are kept up with just fine. Unlike the previous answer, my experience with Jennifer at the rest of the people at the office has been very good. They are cordial and they have helped me while I lived there and (most importantly) while I have been out. For instance, they helped me redo my bathroom floor. I never had any problems with my cars and as far as I know noone goes around urinating in unlocked cars. The pool and the very small gym are normally empty during winter, which is nice. As for the summer time, well, I guess the previous answer´s obvious bias towards non-English speaking individuals pretty much disqualifies itself.

If you are still thinking about buying a condo in the Milford area, I´d definitely give Shadowbrook a try.
Shadowbrook is a great complex to do what you are looking to do.

I have not lived in the complex but have listed and sold many properties in the complex over the past several years. A good place to start is to call the management office of the property, which I can provide, and speak with lee of Jen to discuss the grounds and scheduled building maintenance.

Also, I am in the middle of a transaction with one of the units and just received the updated 2009 budget and financials as well as all condo docs in PDF format in which you could and should review. It is important when buying a condo that you look at the financial strength of the association to make sure they are flush in reserves and that their expected spending does not exceed their expected budgets where they would have to impose special assessments on your...which makes your rental less profitable for the time of the assessment.

Feel free to contact me via Trulia, my website of via phone if you would like to discuss in more detail. Best of luck to you!!

Joshua Lioce, Broker/Owner
Realty Executives Lioce Properties
Team Leader - The Lioce Team
http://www.LioceTeam.com
(508) 422-9750
Web Reference: http://www.lioceteam.com
Here is some extra information on the building. Looks like it was built in 1970 so some building features may be dated however there is an onsite management which is always a good sign.

Area Amenities: Swimming Pool, Tennis Court, Walk/Jog Trails
Association Pool: Yes Inground, Indoor
Assoc. Security: Intercom
Basement: No
Docs in Hand: Master Deed, Unit Deed, Rules & Regs
Energy Features: Insulated Windows
Exterior: Brick
Management: Professional - On Site
Pets Allowed: Yes
Sewer and Water: City/Town Water, City/Town Sewer

Other Property Info
Adult Community: No
Lead Paint: Unknown
UFFI: Unknown Warranty Available: No
Year Built/Converted: 1970/
Year Built Source: Public Record
Year Built Desc: Actual
Year Round: Yes

Here is one unit that is currently on the market:
http://www.sanfordmullen.com/search-homes-for-sale#PropertyI…
James-

I dont live there, but have had several people buy condos in there. This is a large complex with many different buildings and units. If you are asking about the common areas being kept up with and exterior of building...then yes they are kept up. As for individual units, since they are owned by others, they (interior) are kept up as to those peoples wants and needs.

If you would like more information regarding the units, sizes, amenities for owners/renters, types of units, fees etc...please feel free to give me a call.

Good luck in your search

Michael Prescott
RE/MAX Innovations
Serving Blackstone Valley & Worcester Counties
508-380-6405