Home Buying in Rochester>Question Details

Shawnee Sand…, Home Buyer in Rochester, NY

I am interested in a property (12 unit) at 75 Jewel Street in Rochester's 14621 area. Is this area ok?

Asked by Shawnee Sanders, Rochester, NY Thu Nov 6, 2008

What sort of problems could I encounter? What is your general take on this area? High turnover of tenants? Is the crime rate high? etc....

Answers

5
I LIVE ON NORTON ST A FEW HOUSES DOWN FROM JEWEL STREET. I'VE BEEN LIVING IN THE AREA FOR 2 YEARS AND TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH THE AREA ISN'T GREAT AT ALL. THERE IS ALOT OF CRIME THERE IN THE SUMMER. IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN THEN IT WOULD BE IN YOUR BEST INTREST TO LOOK SOMEPLACE ELSE. I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD BE TRUTHFUL. I AM LOOKING TO MOVE OUT OF THE AREA MYSELF WHEN THE WEATHER BREAKS. I HAVE A YOUNG CHILD MYSELF AND I DON'T LET HIM PLAY OUTSIDE VERY OFTEN, SO WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU.
An agent can't legally able to comment on the crime rate or what type of area might have problems if any. If you'd like to get that info ... it's best to contact the local police department to get feedback.

As for the tenants and their retention -- as an agent I would be requesting to see the rent rolls so that you can review the findings.

If you'd like to find out any further particulars on this property ... I'd be happy to help you with those!
Web Reference: http://www.gregmasceri.com
In my personal opiniom, there are many other more desirable parts of the City of Rochester to invest in real estate. To confirm the details of the area in terms of crime statistics, the City of Rochester's website would have contact information on who to speak with. A local realtor would be a good source of information on vacancy rates.

I am a Commercial Loan Officer @ HSBC Bank, USA, and should you find a property you are interested in purchasing, would be very interested in assisting in your financing. While the economy is soft, rates are at historic lows, so locking up a favorable interest rate means lower interest expense costs, and more money in your pocket. I can be reached @ Paul.Hohensee@us.hsbc.com.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2008
Jewel Street is in a high crime neighborhood with many vacant houses. The neighborhood used to be nice many years ago. Many of the houses are 1920s vintage but have been left to deteriorate. There is a substantial lead paint problem in these older homes. The City of Rochester now has a program in place that requires landlords to remedy the lead paint problem and this can be quite costly. Check the city's website for info. The area would be nice if everyone who owned a home there had the ability to fix it up and take some pride in it. Personally, I would be afraid to live there. Many tenants in this area are bound to be on welfare or need Section 8 assistance. Be sure your leases provide for eviction if criminal activity takes place on your property.
An agent isn't legally able to comment on the crime rate or what type of problems if any that you'd encounter in an area. If you'd like to get that info ... it's best to contact the police in that area or get your feedback from someone that lives in the area.

As for the tenants and the turnover -- your agent should be requesting to see the rent rolls and the two of you can review the findings.

Mike