Home Buying in Detroit>Question Details

House Hunter, Home Buyer in Detroit, MI

I am interested in a house for sale that is "tenant occupied"---do tenants have to be evicted in order to get them out--or should i just ask nicely?

Asked by House Hunter, Detroit, MI Sat Nov 10, 2012

Answers

7
The best bet is to have the home delivered to you vacant at closing. That way, you decide who your trnant will be. It will alos allow you to renovate before you lease it again, commanding a higher rent.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012
There are a few things at play here.

1. Do they have a lease? The lease will most likely be enforced.

2. Do they intend on staying? Eviction could take months and hopefully they don't do damage to the property.

3. Is offering them cash for keys an option?

I'd talk to a real estate attorney and an agent you can trust.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 12, 2012
#1 question is do the tenants have a lease? You would inherit the terms of that lease. As other have mentioned you still might be able to "buy them out" by offering them money to move. Assuming you can get tenants out easily - lease or no lease - is a gamble.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012
In many cases the tenant has priority over the sale.

It really depends on the agreement between the landlord and tenant.

Ocassionally a financial incentive is given to the tenant to help with moving costs.

Good Luck,

Ray
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012
Tiffany,

Once you have purchased the property and have title you can approach the tenant. Offer keys for cash is the quickest way to get them out. Or start the eviction process. The main objective here is getting the tenant out without them destroying the property. And yes the tenant does have rights, you want to pursue this legally.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 11, 2012

Every situation is a bit different. Is the seller telling you that the home is subject to the "tenant's rights"? Is the seller going to handle getting the tenants out prior to the closing?

If your offer is accepted and getting the tenants out is up to you, then I would go to the home and let them (tenant's) know that you are purchaisng the home and would like to ask them what their intentions are. Also tell them that you will be closing on the home in 30 days and would like them out as soon as possible.

If they refuse to leave, you will have to go through the legal system to get them out and it is a step by step process that you can do on your own if you like. You just have to hope that the tenants will not damage the property once they leave, especially if the eviction happens AFTER your closing. It is a delicate situation and I would advise you, yes, be nice and see what happens.

If the tenants are not receptive, maybe offer them a small incentive to move out without damaging anything, such as a moving allowance or something. But if they are difficult, then use the legal process, you will win, it will just take some time and money.

Thanks and Good Luck,

HAIG
Elias Realty
(48) 379-6547
realtorhaig@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 10, 2012
Simple noone has the right to remain in your hard worked for cash investment, "They dont pay, they dont stay" Ask nicely if tenant refuses EASY !!!!!! SHOOT THEM !!!!!
Shoot them that is crazy unless you want to end up in Jail! You don't want to be shooting or killing anyone that is not right. I am too looking for a house and some of them have tenants in them and well I just by pass them on by. A few would not even let me and my agent in so that time me if I did decide to buy that house it would be hell trying to evict them and I don't want to be bother with that headache. I need housing now! So if they can't evict the people before hand at closing I would say forget that! Who need or want that headache. I have never been a landlord before and not looking to, I want a home for myself and daughter is what I'm praying for. But shooting lord I tell you some of the advice is a little bit too much, wonder if you will come and bail her off if she take your advice 4 lol geesh anyway just teasing hope you were not serious, but you never know how some people mind run and well in their mind they think its the right thing to do and well that's totally WRONG!
Flag Mon Nov 19, 2012