Home Buying in Bay Area>Question Details

Erika Locke, Home Buyer in Bay Area, Corpus Chr...

I am interested in a $99,000 home in the Bay Area of Corpus Christi. What would typical taxes and insurance be on a home in that area?

Asked by Erika Locke, Bay Area, Corpus Christi, TX Wed Mar 9, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Erika. Currently for 2010, taxes are approx. 2.44 percent of the assessed value of a home. So if you use $99,000 x 2.44, the taxes for the year will be $2416. You can home stead and that might save you approx. 10 percent a year. If you are over 65, you can get a great exemption plus the homestead exemption. If I can be of further assistance, just give me a call at 361-765-6632. Sincerely, Arlene Minar, Realty World Island Properties
Web Reference: http://www.arleneminar.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 10, 2011
Hi Erika,

What a great question! The taxes and insurance cost will depend on the home your interested in. I live in Corpus and have noticed that a lot of home owners have not been protesting their tax value. So, what happens is homes in the same area and price range end up with large differences in taxes. The best way to approach this issue is to have your Realtor pull a tax report for the property and then do a market analysis to determine the actual value of the home. Then you will be able to get a better idea of what your tax for the home may be. Don't forget to add the homestead exemption when your figuring the tax cost.

On the Insurance cost, you need to contact your Insurance agent. Depending on how far the property is from the water and it's elevation will determin your cost for flood insurance. You will also need a Windstorm insurance policy and a standard Homeowners policy. ALSO, have your insurance agent get a CLUE report for the property. The CLUE report will show all claims filed on the property. It could alert you to a potential problem with the home, if the prior owners have filed a lot of claims in the past. If you do decide to purchase a property be sure to have the home inspected.

I hope this helps to answer your question. If your not working with a Realtor, I would enjoy answering your questions and helping you find a great home.

Thank you,
Steve Trubatisky
Broker Associate
Affordable Housing Specialist
International Relocation Broker
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 10, 2011
The best answer is to contact the nueces county tax accessor for a specific house. For approximation sake taxes are roughly 2.48% and insurance 1.1%

You would need to get a specific quote for insurance for a property. Make sure you get a the property and casualty rate plus the windstorm policy. Its two quotes.

Best of luck,

0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 9, 2011
Taxes contact county tax office
Insurance contact an agent

Realtor we would not experts in these fields

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 9, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer