Home Buying in 11209>Question Details

Takad, Home Buyer in 11209

I am insterested in a property in bay ridge, but the listing agent has not responded to my calls. What should I do? Should I get a buyers agent?

Asked by Takad, 11209 Sat Mar 12, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


A listing agent not responding quickly is usually not a good sign. I work with buyers and having a buyers agent can really help you. Unless you are constantly involved with the real estate market, a realtor is your best asset. Send me an email and I will forward you some very useful info.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 26, 2014
Absolutely! Unfortunately I hear this all too often. Keep in mind the sellers agent represents the sellers best interest, always. Work with an agent that will represent you and see the deal through to closing.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 16, 2012
Yes, find yourself an agent that is responsive. Consider your first attempt with the listing agent of this property a "test" and he/she failed. An agent can show you any listed property regardless of listing firm/agent. I think your search will come into clearer focus if you work with one agent that is focused on you.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 16, 2012
Sometimes they listing agent doesn't respond because the property you are inquiring about is already in contract or off the market. Other times, these listing agents are only part-time employees, who do this as a second job. Call Mary Kae at Coldwell Banker Reliable, she always calls you back. I love Bay Ridge!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 16, 2012
When I contacted Mary Kae at Coldwell Banker, she said she would see what listings she had, and then never got back to me.
Flag Fri Apr 26, 2013
My name is Chris Miceli from PNC Mortgage Bank. Just curious to know if you have been Pre- Approved for a Mortgage yet? If you are considering to finance this property in Brooklyn please call me. I would be more then happy to review your options answer your questions and qualify you. Thanks!

Chris Miceli
Phone: (646)-623-2492
Email: Christopher.Miceli@PNCmortgage.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 2, 2012
Absolutely you should get a buyer agent. You should have gotten one to begin with rather than call the listing agents. It's not going to cost you anything and you'll know you've got someone on your side looking out for your interests and not focused on either the Seller or keeping all the commission.

Look for someone who is expereiced (a minimum of 5 years expereince and 10 would be better) Interview a couple to find someone you connect with and whom you honestly feel will do a great job for you. Based on the lack of response you got from the listing agent it seems like your agent is likely to be doing most of the work anyway.

Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 29, 2011
Hi Takad:
Have any luck in finding or seeing the property you are searching for?
Please advise. Thank you.

Jack Menashe
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 29, 2011
Hi Takad,

It is always good to have an agent to protect your interests - and in most, if not all, cases, this protection comes at no cost to you as the agent is paid by the seller.

As you can see from the folks that have responded to you, there are many professional Realtors out there that are willing to go that extra mile to earn your trust and your business. Even if the listing is no longer available, you are entitled to the courtesy of a return phone call. It's also good business, as that agent could have showed you something else.

It's difficult enough to go at it alone - so get some help and good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 19, 2011
I would be glad to help !
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 15, 2011
Yes, work with an agent of your own, he/she can schedule showings, provide any necessary information, provide comps--recently sold similar properties in the immediate area, etc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 14, 2011
Hey Takad

My last post was deleted. Let me re-phrase.... Contacting another agent in the area is a great way to get to view the property. As a specialist in the area you desire I believe I can help. Since there isn't a link attached regarding the property you would like to view I am not able to research for you. But send me an email or call my office I would be more than happy to help

718-238-6080 ask for Catherine.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 14, 2011
You are absolutely right in thinking about a buyer's agent. Buyers with agents are always taken seriously because they are pre-screened. I would be happy to get information for you regarding this or any other property as I live and work in the area. I look forward to hearing from you!
Best regards,
Rita van Straten
Prudential Douglas Elliman
Web Reference: http://www.elliman.com/rvs
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 14, 2011
Hi Tkad
There is no link here that we can research to see if its still available. You can call any agent who
would be moret than happy to help you.
contact me anytime.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Buyers agent would negotiate on behalf of buyer to get the best price and term possible including getting access to all available properties. Find out all the information including fee when you hire an exclusive buyer's agent. Usually the listing agent and the selling agent ( selling agent could be the listing agent, broker's agent or buyer's agent) share the compensation offered by the seller. In the Brooklyn Multiple Listing Service some sellers do not offer any compensation to buyer's agent. If your buyer's agent successfully negotiated a deal for one of these property you are responsible to pay the buyer's agent fee.
Good luck,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Absolutely it will work for you in the tranaction.
Web Reference: http://www.desire2own.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Absolutely get a Realtor to represent your interests. He/She will know how to make the property accessible.

If you would like a referral, I know a lot of really good agents in that area and will be glad to connect you.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Dear Takad:

You should try to send the agent an email or text. You can also contact the listing office and ask to speak to the broker. Another option would be to simply contact any other agent to help you get more information. We are good at that!! If you like I can even help you with that.

If I can be of further assistance please let me know. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Of course you should. You shouldn't have been contacting the listing agent in the first place. Better late than never to get your own agent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
yes you should get your own agent. As suggested, this property may already be under contract. Having your own agent will give you access to all the properties.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Working with the listing agent is called Duel Agency (Google it as that is a whole other question by itself). If any agent will not take the time to return your calls, find another agent. Best of luck, I suspect you will have some local agents answer your question. You can review their profile and pick one that looks promising or you can also try Zillow.com to review local profiles. One nice thing (different) about that free site, the reviews are completed by past clients, not the agent writing their own.

Best of luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Hi, unfortunately that is an issue. It could be already sold and that is why they aren't responding, but you should at least here back. It is frustrating and I apologize for your trouble. You are allowed to use any agent you wish. I work with a host of buyers in Bay Ridge and would be happy to help you if you like. I pride myself on responding immediately as this is my 24/7 job so you can either email or call me.
Catherine Cleland
City Connections Realty
718 594 6214
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
Call another agent to help you. I am available anytime.

Anthony Mussolino
Associate Broker
Ben Bay Realty

Give me a call
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
You should definitely work with a realtor who will represent you and work for your best interest. I have lived in my Bay Ridge my entire life, its a wonderful place to live and I would be happy to assist you in your search. Contact me anytime!

Jennifer Sayad, Esq.
NYS Lic. Real Estate Broker
Attorney at Law
(917) 499-9832
Flag Sat Apr 5, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer