Angela, Home Buyer in Charlotte, NC

I am in the process of buying a sold as is home, I noticed that their should be a hot tub on the back deck, which is no longer there, do I have a pro

Asked by Angela, Charlotte, NC Sun Jun 2, 2013

Problem

Answers

4
if the hot tub is not connected to the house,as a stove central air system hot water heater which belong to the house.unless the hot tub was not included in the sale.property being sold as is means that if anything is broken or needs repair the seller won't fix.any thing that is not built into the house or connected to the house does not belong to the house.a refridgarator is not a fixture of the house,so don't assume it is part of the sale unless specified in the contract.
When you buy a property "As Is" you buy the property as you see it. You are expected to accept the property and take responsibility for any deficiencies in the property.. If something needs to be repaired to receive a Certificate of Occupancy from the township or county, it will be the buyer's responsibility to make the repairs and get the inspections and certifications needed to get the CO. If the hot tub was specifically included in the listing paperwork when you presented your offer than the hot tub should be included.. Any items missing from the property (as in a hot tub) that were not included in the listing paperwork would also be the buyer's responsibility to replace.
Angela,
In the state of New Jersey a Hot Tub would be considered a personal item, therefore if a seller has agreed to leave a Hot Tub it would be listed on your agreement of sale as a personnel item in a As-Is Condition . I would check with your real estate agent for the laws of your state and make sure it is put in your agreement of sale. If you have any other question please feel free to call on me.
Maryann Merlino
Broker-Owner
Home & Suite Realty
Was the hot tub specifically included in the sales contract, or even the listing? Just because the house is as-is, doesn't mean the seller's personal property is included.