Home Buying in Coram>Question Details

Wfu168, Home Buyer in Upton, NY

I am in contract on a house, and the title survey shows that the house have an open fire damage permit issued in 1999. What's risk of buying it?

Asked by Wfu168, Upton, NY Wed Jan 16, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


Your attorney should be advising the seller's attorney of the open permit. The sellers should be required to close it out to your satisfaction or leave sufficient money in escrow with which you can close it out.

Do not purchase with open permits.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2013
Thanks a lot!
Flag Thu Jan 17, 2013
Your licensed home inspector/engineer can better answer the question, consider a consultation...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2013
Thanks a lot.
Flag Thu Jan 17, 2013
The risk would be if it were not reconstructed correctly. Not sure why this would still be opened...that means it was never inspected by town to sign off on it. This permit needs to be closed and you should have a Engineer look at the home to make sure it is structurally sound. Please have your attorney advise you on your next steps in this process. AC&E Home Inspection Corp. does a awesome job and they have Inspectors and Professional Engineers on staff. You can reach them at 631-205-1340 as they are local to Coram.

Good Luck,
Donna Lomenzo, Broker
Coldwell Banker Neyland Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2013
Thank you Donna, I will talk to my attorney and re-inspect the house.
Flag Wed Jan 16, 2013
You should discuss your concerns with:
A licensed inspector for your home.
A representative from Planning & Zoning or Code enforcement in place with your county.
You may also wish to consult an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 16, 2013
Thanks a lot!
Flag Wed Jan 16, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer