Acrawfordil, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

I am having a hard time trying to get a realtor to stick with me as I attempt to find an investment property?

Asked by Acrawfordil, Chicago, IL Thu Jun 28, 2012

Answers

18
There are generally three reasons this scenario happens, whether you are an investor looking for a multi-unit (multi-family, three flat, etc.) property or simply a buyer looking to buy their first single family home:

1. You are choosing the type of realtors that perpetuate the industry stereotype, e.g., care more about pursuing next client than current one, extreme attention deficit disorder, lack of knowledge in the specified field ('investments' in your case), worry more about their car getting towed for illegal parking than whether or not a property meets your needs.

2. You are a fickle buyer without purpose, direction, or the ability to know when to write an offer. If you have already been through the 'primer' when you and your agent discuss what types of properties might work, and the agent is showing you places that are clearly good investments based on your requirements and you don't 'pull the trigger', then you can't expect them to stick around. They are 'donating' their time predicated on the future promise that you'll buy something. If they sense you are non-committal that means no new bluetooth for your realtor.

3. it isn't likely, but certainly possible, that you are possessed by an evil spirit, most likely some real estate investor who lost it all during the 2007 crash, and had an untimely death. He is causing this, and the only solution is an exorcism by Carlton Sheets, available for $99.95 for a limited time.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 5, 2012
My question to you would be how much experience do you have as an investor. I only ask because this definitely makes a difference in the type of realtor you choose to work with. If you are finding that realtors are not sticking with you, it is time to take an honest look at what you seek in a realtor. Do those needs match what those realtor had the time, knowledge and patience to provide? In working with your next realtor, sit down and be honest about your expectations AND experience as an investor. If you are new to investing, perhaps attending an investors class (free class offered in some realtors offices) would be good.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 3, 2012
Great response, Bill Deligiannis.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 28, 2012
Greetings Maryellen,

This business is very exhausting as I am sure you know, and I can't stand wasting anymore time with buyers/sellers who are not engaged in the process and simply expect that things will magically happen.

All the best to you,
Bill J D.
Flag Thu Jun 28, 2012
It's a 2 way street. Your Realtor needs to stick with you but also you need to stick with your Realtor. Talk to a few people and then work with one exclusively. Are you a Cash Investor, then show your proof of funds to your Realtor. Do you need financing, then obtain a preapproval. Take the necessary steps, and then work with your Realtor to refine and focus in on your goals.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 28, 2012
That tells me that you do not have realistic expectations or you do not understand the process and/or the role of your Realtor.
You really shouldn't have any problem finding a loyal Realtor as long as you are patient and realistic about the market -- we all love working with investors like you!
Hello Mack.

Are you looking for a coach or someone to hold your hand? As you can tell from the many responses, there are lots of Realtors that can and are willing to help you.

As an investor you must communicate exactly what you need a Realtor for. Many established investors never use a Realtor because they have either learned the process themselves or their type of investing rarely requires their services.

Can you identify why the Realtor abandons you? Usually it's because a lot of their time is wasted either looking for a property, lack of funds, or not following good advice. Not sure what your situation is, but you know. Perhaps being more open and honest might work for you.

Hope this helps.
What are your expectations, return-wise?
Well I am not sure why, but here it goes.....
If you want a Realtor any Realtor to be committed to YOU, then YOU need to be loyal to that one
Realtor. In other words you need to find one Realtor ready and willing to work with you based on your
area or interest and the type of property you are looking for, you then you need to commit, work only with that ONE Realtor and sign an
Exclusive Buyer Representation Agreement
You need to be open and honest about your financials to buy a said property type, and then trust
that Realtor, and it may be difficult to find what you are looking for, so listen to the REaltor to let
you know what you can and cannot find in your areas of interest or in your price range.

Establish a really good relationship and if the Realtor can count on you, that you will only work with him or her for as long as it takes to find a good property for you, that Realtor will stick to you, because at the end you will purchase with THAT Realtor.

Do you want me to guess why some Realtors walk away or a you say that YOU have a hard time trying to get a Realtor to stick to you, many reasons they do not feel that you are committed to them,
or you are searching for something that is not readily available either in your location, size of
property, condition of property or price range....

So try to find an Agent who understands from the beginning what and where you are looking, and
listen to make sure that what you hope to find is actually attainable....
Where in Chicago are you looking and what type, size and price range?

We can always make recommendations of Realtors who are experienced in your type of property price range and location.

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Where are you looking for investment property? I would be happy to assist you. Currently, I am working with multiple clients looking for all kinds of investment property.
Get an agent that knows that investments are all about the numbers.

However, why would they not stick with you? Are you too unrealistic? Low ball offers? I find it hard that an agent wouldnt want to work with an investor. They are usually the best clients.
I may be able to help, but I'd need more information. I am located on the southside of Chicago and am very familiar with your area. E-mail me.
P.S. I don't know what Trulia has me listed as an agent in Burr Ridge?! I am a Managing Broker/Owner of The Kuehl Group in Chicago.
What are the reasons? Price point? Repeated low balling on offers that go nowhere? Long timeframe for search? Your purchase qualifications?

A real estate professional would normally be happy to work with a qualified investor over a long period of time, as is my office.

What areas are you searching? My office will be happy to discuss working with you provided your search is reasonably within our service area.

The Kuehl Group
773-327-5753
KuehlGroup@KuehlGroup.com
Email me I'll help you ..
My team is very experienced in working with investors. Since I have an architect background I can run the CAP-rate and building/zoning code checks for you as well. Please email or call me to discuss what you are looking for.
Jesse mcGrath
@properties
312-545-2775
jmcgrath@atproperties.com
We work with investors all the time, give us a call.

Jose Hernandez
312-788-7079
I have a great group of realtors I work with. What areas are you looking in?
Feel free to call me at 773-358-7895 and I will pass their number along to you.

Greg