Home Buying in Harmony>Question Details

Glenn, Home Buyer in Melbourne, FL

I am going through a divorse in NY. I want to buy a home in FL.. Should I wait until the divorse in final?

Asked by Glenn, Melbourne, FL Wed May 7, 2008

Answers

3
Glenn,

I can just speak for here in MN, but here, the law reads, if you are a married couple, it takes one signature to buy, and both to sell. I'd wait, just to be sure.

Thanks, Todd Norsted
Web Reference: http://www.toddnorsted.com
Glen, I believe it will be better to wait until the divorce is final . As a married couple you probably have joint debt like credit cards, auto loans, mortgage payments, etc., At this point you probably have agreed on which accounts/debts will each of you stay with. Maybe you have to refinance these accounts as an individual name or pay them off . I would advice you to wait until your finances are updated and clear so that every account that would show on your credit report will be the ones you decided to keep. It will be easier to be pre-qualified for the mortgage.

Although, if there's little or no debt, many mortgage lenders will approve you as long as the divorce decree specifies all this information. You didn't mention when will the divorce be final, and another thing to take into consideration is that if you want to take advantage of the low prices in today's market, you can't wait too long either. Basically, I would need more information to give you a better idea.
I dont know the laws in NY or FL well but I would think if you buy before your divorce is final your spouse would be entiled to part of your new property. I would say wait.
Web Reference: http://www.lennyfrolov.com