michellechri…, Other/Just Looking in Fort Atkinson, WI

I am going through a divorce and my husband has already had an appraisal done that i think is very low

Asked by michellechristman, Fort Atkinson, WI Fri Feb 15, 2013

how do i investigate if I should spend the money to have another done on realestate taxes it says 155,000 and fair market of 135,000 his appraisal came in at 115,000

Answers

2
Richard Moen’s answer
I just did a quick check and homes in your price range in Fort sold on average about 10-15% under the 2011 assessed value. There is a wide swing due to a lot of foreclosures in that price range.

One option is a quality market analysis from a real estate professional. An appraisal, just as a real estate agent, can tend to look at the low side or high side. Condition of the home will make a big difference.

You can call me and I can give you more suggestions.
920-988-0588
Michelle,

The assessed value and the appraised value don't always match. Myself, I would contact a local appraiser and have them review the other appraiser's findings and see what they say. But what can make the appraisal carry little more weight is the type of license that the appraiser holds. There are three types of Appraisers in your state.

1.) Licensed Appraiser that requires the least amount of education.
2.) Certified Residential Appraiser, which require more education.
3.) Certified General which requires double the education requirements as first one I listed.

Best of Luck!