laura4121, Renter in Sacramento, CA

I am currently renting and am considering buying in a condo or single family home in the 95835 or 95834 area. I am a first time buyer. I am not sure

Asked by laura4121, Sacramento, CA Sat Feb 22, 2014

where to start or where to go to find info on my credit score and FHA loans/lenders that would be able to help.

Answers

17
Hi Laura. I know the perfect place to start.

I suggest you check out http://www.hippoteq.com. Hippoteq is a great online tool that chooses the best mortgage for your needs -- kind of like a broker on steroids. It's free and asks for no personal information.

First, they assess your personal situation through a series of questions, all done online, to help determine your personal needs, preferences and risk tolerance.

Next, they get quotes from multiple lenders based on these needs. Their proprietary loan scoring system (HippoScore) then matches users with home loans based on compatibility, making it easy to evaluate multiple options.

Finally, you are given access to a personalized mortgage management portal that keeps the entire mortgage process running smoothly and facilitates communication with live mortgage experts.

If you're in the market for a home purchase, this is a great service to check out!
A great place to start is to find a top local buyer agent who can sit down with you and walk you through the entire process. Click on our Trulia profile and see how our website can help connect you with top Sacramento buyer agents and qualify for a buyer commission rebate, saving you thousands upon closing.
Natomas area condos are difficult to get financed. Many require cash, due to litigation and the less than stellar financial shape of the Home Owners Associations.
If you would consider other areas, I have a condo currently for sale in the 95822 area - close to South Land Park Drive & 43 Ave - close to I-5 for an easy commute. The HOA of this complex has no litigation and is in good shape financially. While FHA & VA financing is not available here, due to the HOA letting the approval expire, conventional financing 5% down, should be okay here. Also some buyers qualify for a down payment assistance program from CALHFA, it's called Chadap. See the link below. I will have another unit in this same complex, South Land Village, coming on the market sometime this summer. The unit is featured on my website shown in my profile.
Hi Laura!

I would love to help you through the process of purchasing your first home. It can be confusing to know where to start, and I would be able to walk you through everything. I have partners in lending, title, escrow, inspections, contractors, etc, so all you need is me to get you through. I myself had an FHA loan some years ago so I know exactly how it works on both sides.

Please send me an e-mail or give me a call and we can set up a time to chat in person. It would be an honor to help you buy your first home!

Meghan Michels, REALTOR®
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
9250 Laguna Springs Dr Ste 205
Elk Grove, CA 95758
CalBRE# 01945361
Direct: (916) 895-3144
meghan.michels@cbnorcal.com
meghansellssacramento.com
Ask around to friends, family and neighbors about a good local Realtor. A good Realtor will gladly walk you through the entire process and suggest the order of those steps for you. They are experts!
There are many factors to consider when you are choosing to buy between condos and single family homes. While there are many advantages of owning a single family home, there may be cases when condos are more attractive. When buying a condo, there is a useful tool that allows you to check whether the condo can be financed using a FHA loan (warrantable).

https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/condlook.cfm

In many cases, FHA financing may not be available, e.g. when the HOA is in litigation, too many units are rented out, etc.

If you have a Discover card, you may be able to get your FICO score on your monthly statement. There are also websites such as creditkarma.com which offers free scores.

Good luck and call me if you need additional assistance.
When you want to buy a home the best place to start is to hire an EXCLUSIVE Buyer Agent, not just a Buyer's Agent. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. I can refer you to an EBA in your area, if you like.

I've written a best selling book called Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You. It'll teach you how to buy a home and get a mortgage without getting ripped off. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.HelpUBuyAmerica.com
Hi Laura

Ill Be happy to help you out , contact me when you have chance.

good luck

Omar Khamisa
Hi Laura, I have to respectfully disagree with the answer about getting a copy of your own credit online. Myself or another experienced lender should be able to pull your credit for free for you. Then I can also use it to get you pre-approved and let you know exactly where you stand. In my opinion, what you can qualify for and what you WANT to qualify for can be different things altogether.

I also have access to software which enable me to run unlimited scenarios for things we could do that then lets me know how it would affect your score. In addition, I can use this software to project out in time so we can see what the effect will be in one month, or two, or more. Often I can get peoples score up significantly while we process their applications which results in a better rate at the settlement.

I am available to help you at your convenience if you wish.

I can do a full underwriting approval ahead of time if need be and I also offer credit score improvement programs for free while we work on your mortgage.

If you like my answer above, consider clicking on a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer”

Robert L. Hanson
Gladewater National Bank
First Time Homebuyer Specialist

Direct: 240-752-7549 Cell: 301-651-7822
Email: robertlh66@verizon.net
NMLS# 695929

Rate quote or live chat with me at the link below:

http://www.loansfromrob.com/quote/
The first place I suggest you start is checking your credit report online for free. Take a look at your report and make sure everything is accurate. Here is some information from the Federal Trade Commission: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0155-free-credit-reports. *I included a link below that is the basic order of the home buying process. If you need a referral for a local loan officer then please let me know. I have a few that I trust completely. Thanks, Jason Walter - REALTOR® (lic #01923240), Certified Public Accountant (lic #103885); ph (916) 945-9243

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.HelpUBuyAmerica.com
I would be more than happy to get you pre-approved. Email me if you need anything further.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer

http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com
408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
I can put you in contact with a local mortgage broker if you still need help with this. The mortgage broker will be able to run your credit score and get you pre-approved for the loan.
Hi! You have to evaluate the pros and cons of owning a condo vs. a home. I always advise my clients as if it was for me, my family or friends. With that being said, I advise you to buy a house because not only that you have more freedom to do whatever you want with the house vs. condo you have to get approval from the broad for interior finishes and etc. Plus, you don't have to pay HOA fees and can use that money towards something else.

You can pull your credit score from either: http://www.equifax.com/CreditScore, http://www.experian.com, or http://www.transunion.com. These are the 3 credit bureau companies and they give you 1 free credit report per year.

As far as for lenders, check with Citi Bank. I know they have two great mortgage loan programs right now called the: Off-Set Mortgage where they match your interest rate, and the HomeRun where you pay no PMI.

Let me know if you need help or have anymore questions. I am from Sacramento. I grew up there... I now live in the bay area, but I know a few great agents that could help you.

Thanks. Good luck in finding your dream home!
Hello Laura: You should get started by talking to a local real estate agent who can explain the differences between the various neighborhoods in 95834 and 95835 and help you to target where you might want to live. Because of the market crash over the past 8 years, many of the condo complexes in Natomas are in litigation and you cannot obtain an FHA loan there. But there are also halfplexes, which make a great first time home, and smaller homes. A real estate agent can direct you to preferred lenders. I recommend Dan Tharp at Comstock Mortgage, 916 257 1470, very honest and straight forward kind of guy, and all of my clients love him to pieces, he is extremely thorough.

Most of all, don't look for homes on any website other than an agent's own website or at listings sent to you by a real estate agent. Even a site like Trulia does not get all of the new listings right away, and many of them are not really for sale or expired. But it's great for checking out neighborhoods and pulling stats and demographics. I've included a link below for you about what is a halfplex.
Hi Laura. Condos vs single family is something you want to consider carefully. If you require fha financing there is only one complex is those zip codes that qualifies for fha loan usage. Also as mentioned below condos have an hoa which must be carefully reviewed in terms of their financial standing. If you would like to schedule some time we can go over the different loan types, requirements and down payment assistance in my office this week.

Ashley Sanchez
916-834-59999
Asanchez@teamvitek.com
When considering a condo over a single family home, its important to analyze
the budget and reserves of a homeowners association. Although it is wonderful
to have the exterior maintained for you, it may be possible that the association
isn't operating in the black due to delinquent homeowners or those who lost
their homes to foreclosure or short sale, thus putting the burden on those who
have faithfully paid each month.
There are many first time buyer programs available and I am sure once you
start comparing rent to a mortgage payment, you'll see they're similar.
Obviously the tax advantages to consider too. I urge you to consider buying
over throwing away your money on rent.