Home Buying in Downtown>Question Details

Whoozees, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

I am contemplating between buying a lower floor 1BR or higher floor. Lower floor being on 10th higher floor being on 15-20. I love the view and

Asked by Whoozees, Los Angeles, CA Sun Jul 18, 2010

believe it's easier for resale, however, I am rather concern about being too high up since there is always earthquake in LA. Please give me your advice

Answers

13
Dorene Slavitz’s answer
Oh interesting question,

Well we do have earthquakes in Los Angeles..no doubt about that. All new construction must be up to code for earthquake safety. If you are concerned about the safety of the building and what safeguards have been put in place that would be a question for your agent. You may also inquire at Department of building and safety, but I personally would not be concerned. It's the older buildings that are an issue in an earthquake.
Easier for resale often means spending less. Lower prices are easier to resell.

Ted
http://www.Lofts.BIZ
Everyone loves a good view so it will help with value and resale later.

For mortgage help, call (630) 639-1081 or email for a free pre-approval in less than 10 minutes. We lend our own money and are licensed in 49 states and you can apply online at http://www.myccmtg.com.

We can do: FHA, Conventional, USDA, VA, HARP, Interest Only, Home Equity, Fixed, and Variable. Find out which product is right for you by calling Brad at (630) 639-1081.

Brad Neumann
Sr. Loan Officer
Crosscountry Mortgage Inc.
Phone: (630) 639-1081
Email: bneumann@myccmortgage.com
NMLS# 948036
Thank you for joining the website concerning lofts in Downtown Los Angeles. I've been the agent assigned to make sure you find everything you are searching for in the Downtown and surrounding areas. First, let me assure you that there are no fees involved in using my services. In the State of California, working with a Rental Agent or Buyer Agent is available to you at NO COST.

So, I'd like to start by learning more about what your searching for in a property. I've available to assist you 7 days a week. Can we set up a phone call or do you prefer to communication via email.

Johnny Nekuda Johnny@Loftlivingla.com
d.r.e.01882103 Cell 562-896-3789
Remember all the Downtown Los Angeles buildings have been earthquake retrofitted to current standards starting back in 2004. I've been helping people find lofts and condos in Downtown Los Angeles since 2001. Give me a call. I've got some strong opinions on this topic. Plus, earthquake insurance isn't available so...

For more answers, visit me at http://www.LoftLivingLA.com
It seems to me that buildings built to handle earthquakes are built to sway when the earthquake happens. That way the energy of the earthquake is dissipated instead of destroying the building. The problem as I see it is that the higher up you are the more sway you would encounter.

If the building is going to fall and you are on the 10th or 20th floor would probably not make much of a difference. You will still have a lot of people in the way on the steps slowing you down from leaving quickly.

If you want a quick out if an earthquake happens look for the absolute bottom floor. If you want a great view look for the absolute top floor. This is a simple case of making a choice knowing the advantages and disadvantages associated with each choice then choosing what you want most.
I agree with my colleagues and will quote a dear engineer friend who says, "The only structures that won't suffer substantial displacement from ground shifting and subsequent sway are those below the ground and that move with the ground". If you are contemplating a newer or newly renovated building, it should be up to current EQ code. If you're not sure, have your agent ask about EQ retrofitting. Good luck.

Risa Liebster, Realtor®
818.397.9188
RSLiebster@gmail.com
http://www.TolucaLakeRealEstate.net
We're all on the same page here. Watch the USGS site--it'll scare you crazy. And earthquakes occur everywhere on earth. Yep. (A little more frequency, and preparedness, here.) Enjoy yourself.
Higher floor.

Are you talking about the Sky Lofts on Grand. If so, please call me for financing, as I have the only investor in the country that will do a loan there due to the 50 percent commercial aspect.

Don Maher
Universal Capital
818-990-7622 ext 206
Dre # 01025802
I agree with Scott and Rae. If an earthquake comes and it is the one that is able to topple a building, it is either a long fall and a run down the stairwells or you get squashed or may be able to run out of the building that now may fall on you. After a hard day at the office sit back on the balcony and enjoy the view.

Matt Puzz
Loan Originator
Citizen's Choice Mortgage
602-410-9333
I agree, that whatever floor you are on is rather irrelevant in the event of an earthquake big enough to take down a large building like that. To add to that, many of the new condo developments downtown are some of the most earthquake ready buildings in the city, so arguably one of the safer places to be I would think.
Don't waste another brain cell contemplating...buy the one on the higher floor for all the reasons you mentioned like units on the higher floors have better resale potential and you like the view. After a hard day's work, being able to relax and gaze at the city lights will be a constant reminder that you made a good decision/investment.

RB
I dont know if being on a lower or higher floor will help you in an earthquake, if teh big one comes in the building goes over, no matter what floor you are on, probabi;y wont help.

As far as value, if being on a higher floor has a better view and more value than that is where you should be. First for your own useage and enjoyment and second for future resale value. If you buy down low, it maybe cheaper, but in teh future will still be cheaper than those above you.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com