Lori, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

I am considering the purchase of an older home and the inspector suggested getting the opinion of a

Asked by Lori, Chicago, IL Tue Jul 29, 2008

structural engineer. I am looking for recommendations in the Providence area.

Answers

3
The ReStructure Company, Inc. does structural building inspections and reports. Depending on the circumstances, reason and/or final use, the building inspections or report can be very detailed with plans, sections, estimates and cause or effect analysis to as simple as a visual site inspection with a verbal narration. The ReStructure Company, Inc. has prepared reports for litigation, Real Estate transactions, conflicts with builders, support for insurance claims and to evaluate a building for the Owner. These reports are provided based on a hourly rate and expenses. Inspections and reports can be done by all or one of the following; a Professional Engineer, licensed builder or an estimator. If appropriate, a billing rate sheet, project history, court experience will be provided to a prospective client .

Telephone
781-767-1600
FAX
Postal address
48 Plymouth Street, Holbrook, MA 02343

Perhaps they can refer you to someone in the Providence area if they dont go that far. Best of Luck
Hello Lori- As far as getting a structural engineer's professional opinion, my guess is that'll run you around $500 minimum- and he will only do a cursory visual site inspection. He can't guarantee you anything- just so you know. But, it could be worth it.
What kind of experience did this home inspector have? Most home inspectors that have been both inspecting AND building (new/ rehabs) for at least 10 years should have a very good clue about if the base structure of the property is sound or not.
I've been a licensed builder for over 10 years (as well as a mortgage broker), so I'm just throwing in my 2 cents here to try to help. Thanks, and Good luck,
Ken L.
Hi Lori,

I always have luck with http://www.servicemagic.com. You can post your inquiry there and will immediately receive responses from prescreened professionals. I just did a quick search for you and found there are plenty of engineers if you look under "Architects, Builders & Engineers". Good luck! Providence is beautiful! Judy Boyle