Home Buying in 19127>Question Details

Flux, Home Buyer in 19127

I am considering purchasing a home in Manayunk, PA. owner added a bathroom himself without permits. What is my liability? What should i do?

Asked by Flux, 19127 Mon Dec 26, 2011

3rd floor conversion from a large bedroom, to a small bedroom and a half bath, just sink and toilet. no structural walls but plumbing and some electrical i think.

Help the community by answering this question:


john krause’s answer
Hello Flux,

I have been in the Manayunk real estate market for more than 15 years and have sold more than 600 homes here. I have never seen or heard of an appraiser take into consideration if the bathroom has a permit or not. The bathroom will be included on the appraisal. I believe that a very large percentage of homeowners who've 'added baths' in Philadelphia over the last 50 years have NOT gotten a permit (although it is the best and safest way to go).
An 'added kitchen' (in basement or 2nd floor) is another story and without a permit for that there most likely WOULD be appraisal issues.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 29, 2012
Have your Agent make it a CONTINGENCY of the Offer that they get a County Inspection for the work!
If the Seller won't do it, or, if it doesn't pass the Inspection, then you can walk away.
Put down that this MUST be done within 10 days, and have your other Contingencies set at 20-30 days and notify your Lender; that way you won't have to pay for Appraisal or Inspections before you know the answer.

The Seller may not accept; in which case, you are off-the-hook.
If the Seller accepts, you are off-the-hook too.

If it was a good job, and it meets code, then they may pass it.

Good luck and may God bless
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 26, 2011
I am selling a home in Manayunk. Excellent location!!!! Great shape. $149,000.
2/2, new hvac, newer windows, rear patio, huge kitchen, two blocks to Main St., 1 block to train. Must see.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 21, 2015
Without permits, the appraiser is not allowed to include the half bath in the appraisal. If you are getting a mortgage it may not appraise out. The homeowners' insurance is only required to pay out on claims on what is permitted. If the half bath has no permit, it probably doesn't have UL inspection. That means if there is a claim, the insurance company will try to claim it is the fault of the work done without permits. How do you know the work was done correctly? per code? I would never buy without all the permits in place.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 3, 2012
Hello, My wife and I just bought a house and had the same situation occur. As long as the township okays your Use and Occupancy permit and you let them know that there was no permit you'll be fine. If you need assistance on the financing side of things I'd appreciate the opportunity to earn your business. Happy New Year. Chad Bahnsen 610 622 2212. cbahnsen@mortgagenetwork.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 2, 2012
call 311 and ask to speak to licenses and inspections.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 28, 2011
Also check with your insurance agent, you have prior knowledge about a bootleg improvement. If he did something wrong, say messed up the wiring and the house burns down because of it, would your insurance cover the loss? Good luck,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 27, 2011
Hello Flux,

Contact L and I and ask them what the procedure is. Your Realtor shouldalso be familiar with the process. I am dealing with this situation right for a mortgage client of mine. In this case a violation was issued on the city cert. The inspector came out and requested that some changes be made to the property.

Alan Openshaw
Cornerstone Lending Inc
Southampton Pa 18966
215 953 0800
cell 267 992 7276
NMLS ID 143960
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 27, 2011
Check with the county and see if there is anything you have to do. Every county and state has different laws...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 26, 2011
The best thing is to ask your agent if you don't have one then interview agent in that area so you get someone with knowledge of the area and make sure they know Philadelphia L&I regs.

Philip J. Cunningham Sr
V.I.P. Realty Corp
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 26, 2011
Do yourself a favor and hire a buyer agent who can work in your best interest. If you are not familiar with buyer agency, you can search about it on the net or read about it & watch my videos about it @ http://www.reneeporsia.com The seller pays the buyer agent which should be more incentive for you to hire your own agent. Just make sure that the buyer agent you hire can negotiate and who is comfortable with the negotiating process. A bad negotiator can wind up costing you thousands of dollars.

Your liability will be to have a home inspection and to do your own homework. Ask the seller for certifications from plumbers or electricians and a warranty for the home.

I'd love to discuss the situation further. Feel free to contact me @ 215-669-0589 or email me at reneeporsia@mac.com

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office ask for Renee
Proudly serving all of Philadelphia, Montgomery & Bucks Counties for over 11 years now.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 26, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer