Home Buying in Weston>Question Details

sherry, Both Buyer and Seller in Yonkers, NY

I am considering neighborhoods near Newton and Boston. Someone who lives in Weston said something about

Asked by sherry, Yonkers, NY Fri Aug 14, 2009

having to take their trash to the city dump? I could have misunderstood - I wasn't in a position to enquire further. Does anyone know anything about this. I do want suburban but don't want to have to haul my trash. That would be a major deal breaker for me.

Answers

4
Marilyn Messenger, CRS, ABR’s answer
Hi Sherry, years ago )long before I was in real estate) an agent showed us houses in Winchester and told us that going to the dump was a great town activity and the place to meet our neighbors and local politicians...I guess anyone can put a positive spin on anything, but we weren't buying. Like you, we have enought to do on the weekend!

Unfortunatey many of the desireable towns in the suburbs do not offer trash pickup and these days, even the ones that do charge a fee. There are private services you can hire - BFI is one of the most well known; and that is what most people do. You will also find that many of these same towns do not have town sewer either and have private waste disposal systems; that's just the way it is.

While trash disposal is one of life's necessities, there are many other factors to consider when purchasing a home. An agent who knows the towns can help you evaluate what's right for your lifestyle and goals.

If you would like help in Weston, Wayland, Sudbury or west of Boston, feel free to contact me.
Best, Marilyn
Hi Sherry.....I'll call some companies on Monday to get you prices, etc. Not all towns operate this way. Wellesley, Needham, Dover and Weston have their own recycling centers and these are probably the highest rated and most desirable towns. Newton and Natick and others have trash pick-up.

I really think you should visit and select the town you like best for everything that it has to offer and one that fits best meets all your objectives. Wellesley has so much to offer with our open space, quaint street lights, brick crosswalks, etc and is in close proximity to Boston. If you are looking for more land Dover and Weston will meet this need as they are more rural settings. Needham is great too! Newton is a very very large city with, I believe, about 14 different zip codes. Many of the areas have small lots, but as mentioned with so many different areas you can usually find an area that suits your needs depending on your price point.

Please don't let trash pick-up be your motivating factor. I know so many people who have felt the same way as you do, hired a service and eventually canceled it because they found that they had more flexibility by going themselves---no more late night panics that you forgot to take the trash out!!!

Karen

PS Again, will update you on Monday regarding prices, etc.
Karen, thanks so much for your response.
So I really did hear right. Wellesley is like that as well? In my current town, we have 3 trash days - 2 for regular trash and one for recyling. They have rules about what and how much you can put out so you don't really have junk furniture out etc. Plus the trucks come before 8am. This would be one more thing to build into my schedule. Do you have any idea of the private companies work - how often do they come, what sort of price range etc. Are all the suburban Boston towns like this?
Hi Sherry.....I can very much sympathize with you. Originally from Ohio I was aghast at the idea of having to take my own trash to the dump. But now that I live in Wellesley for the past 12 years I can actually attest to the fact that it is great to have your own choice as to whether you take your own things to the recycling center or hire a private company to do so.

I much prefer all the benefits of having our own recycling center: 1. I can get rid of my trash ANY day of the week except Sundays....even when I spontaneously decide to clean out my fridge of all those perishables. Just imagine dropping off a bag of such trash down the street versus it "fermenting" in your garage on a summer day such as today versus waiting until my next scheduled pick-up. 2. I can't begin to tell you how great our town (and neighboring Needham) looks every day without the tell tell trash at the end of every ones driveway--I'm sure you know what it looks like to drive through a town when it is "garbage day". The old dressers and couches on the side of the road........ugh! In our town you can simply take your old items to the dump and either dispose of them or leave them is a special area for others to take. 3. I love our "take it or leave it area" of our center....generally, whatever you are dropping off will be nabbed before you can carry it from your car--what a great feeling to know that someone will be using what you no longer need. 4. And then there is our library.....leave a book or take a book or both!! 5. Our recycling center is and has been a prototype for others across the country--what a great feeling it gives all of us to know that we are contributing to promoting a green environment-- plus, it is such a pleasure to see our young children participating in the sorting of the different colors of bottles, etc. 5. Our recycling center has been a hubbub of social gatherings, from kids selling pancake festival tickets to banners promoting the next town event and so much more. Need mulch for your yard? Yep--you can get it free at the center.....

Sherry.....While at first glance it may be a deal breaker I can assure you, from experience, that entering into such an arrangement can be very enlightening and rewarding. I'm sure that sounds strange, but you only need to visit our center on a Saturday to truly appreciate what I'm saying.....

Hope this helps.........Karen cell 339222.8103