dublintom, Home Buyer in Dublin, OH

I am considering buying a home by Newbury Builders of Powell, OH. Does anyone have any relevant positive or negative comments about this builder?

Asked by dublintom, Dublin, OH Wed Feb 6, 2013

Answers

7
It's now 2016 and my mother has lived in New Albany Commons since 2006. The sidewalks and patio are cracked and heaving and this is the owners responsibility. Carpet, shower doors, counter tops all cheapest possible...builder grade. Can't hear neighbors side to side but pray to God someone with a child/children doesn't live above you if you have a flat. Ground drainage is the worst. The grassy area behind our condo that faces Hamilton Road is a muddy ankle sucking swamp year round. When it rains hard, the drainage ditch overflows and the most amazing flowing river winds through the backyard and nearly enters the patio doors because it has nowhere else to go. The pool and clubhouse were nice when mother first moved in but with all of the additional units built over the last 7 years, these facilities are much too small for the number of residents. These units are in the Columbus Public School System so that precludes most older children living here but noisy toddlers abound...especially at the pool in the summer. No quiet there. The layouts of the new units aren't very functional and the older one level units have these fantastic gigantic carved out holes in the living room wall for your big deep TV. Mother can't plant anything near her patio because water drips down (no downspout) from the gutter above and creates a small mud pond right next to her patio. The increased traffic noise from Hamilton road and new construction across the street is from Hades.

If you must live here, get a two level unit with your patio facing the pond. Your view won't change, no toddlers shaking the rafters above you, and your back yard slopes downward. Just hope your neighbors with giant dogs pick up the poop.
We built with Newbury in 2006. The house was well built, but the yard had serious problems, and they were never willing to address these problems with us. We are now having a problem with our master shower,due to their poor design, and they are not at all attempting to rectify the problem. Ultimately I would tell you to look elsewhere. We have neighbors who built with P&D and Romanelli & Hughes. These custom home builders offer the service both before, and after the house is built, that you would expect for what you are going to pay.
Tom, my husband and I are building a 3 bedroom condo with Newbury Builders. Did you make your purchase and are you p,eased that you did?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 8, 2013
I have worked with Newbury Homes and consider them to be fair to deal with and their products of high quality. I work out of the HER Powell Office and have not heard of any other issues from any other agents.
Web Reference: http://www.caroltoronto.com
Newbury Homes is a quality builder, building an exceptional homes and condominiums. Newbury builds in desirable communities, and their homes feature excellent design, quality materials and appliances, and luxurious finishes. You can find Newbury Homes on the Better Business Bureau's site using the link below, they have an A+ rating with the bureau. Our group has sold a number of Newbury Homes and Condominiums and our experience and that of our clients has always been positive.

As Karla has indicated, if you're interested in purchasing it's in your best interest to secure representation to advocate on your behalf. It's worth noting that builders DO NOT discount the cost of the home to unrepresented buyers and thus the service, guidance, and peace of mind your agent provides is absolutely free to you! You can confirm this by calling any of the big name builders in town (including Newbury Homes), they will confirm this. Talk to a Realtor before you buy!

Jason Opland
Better Homes & Gardens Realty
614.332.6984
Hello - if you email me the spec sheet detailing the products included I can take a look and let you know what I think. I worked for several builders from 1999-2006 and developed home lines for them. Picked materials and quality levels for certain price points. I'm always interested to see what builders are offering for the money.

Doug Turlo, Broker/Owner
Home Central Realty
dturlo@homecentralrealty.com
614-419-2077
Tom - do you have an agent representing you? I would strongly suggest seeking an agent to advocate on your behalf through the negotiations, inspections, and even beyond closing.
Thanks Karla, but I am already well taken care of in that regard.
Flag Wed Feb 6, 2013